Healthy Fats

Options
I am a bit confused on how many calories you should get per day from healthy fats ie. olive oil. While following a plan with a diet center I have been told that you should have 250 calories per day. They have now said I should try having 1 tbs with my main meals. It is really hard to keep my calorie intake down when I add this in. Excessive??

Replies

• jjefferies7
    jjefferies7 Posts: 120
    Options
    First off, you don't have to eat olive oil if you don't want to, you can eat what you'd like to get your fats in it's not going to make a difference. Secondly, 250 calories a day of fat is 27 grams, that's extremely low. Lastly, there's no such thing as "healthy" fats you should be getting roughly 1/3 of your fat intake from each of them, but it's not THAT big of a deal and I doubt would make much of a difference if any.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    First off, you don't have to eat olive oil if you don't want to, you can eat what you'd like to get your fats in it's not going to make a difference. Secondly, 250 calories a day of fat is 27 grams, that's extremely low. Lastly, there's no such thing as "healthy" fats you should be getting roughly 1/3 of your fat intake from each of them, but it's not THAT big of a deal and I doubt would make much of a difference if any.

um what?

trans fats are absolutely unhealthy. in other words, yes, there are good and bad fats.

OP, make sure your fat intake is at least 20% of your calories, and make sure those fat calories come from things like animal fats, extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, nuts, seeds, legumes, and other vegetable oils that are NOT hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated.

if you get a mixture of different fats, you'll be fine.
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    Well I did say 1/3 so I figured I didn't have to specify that I wasn't talking about trans fats.

My bad I was only talking about MONOUNSATURATED, POLYUNSATURATED, and SATURATED :wink:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

um what?

trans fats are absolutely unhealthy. in other words, yes, there are good and bad fats.

OP, make sure your fat intake is at least 20% of your calories, and make sure those fat calories come from things like animal fats, extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, nuts, seeds, legumes, and other vegetable oils that are NOT hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated.

if you get a mixture of different fats, you'll be fine.
    Your a genius.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Your focus should be slow digesting fats verses fast digesting fats
  • jjefferies7
    Options

It won't matter how fast your food digests at the end of the day, if it's going to be the same amount of calories/macros/micros it's not going to make a difference.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

It won't matter how fast your food digests at the end of the day, if it's going to be the same amount of calories/macros/micros it's not going to make a difference.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21411612
  • cal_73
    cal_73 Posts: 77
    Options

If you aren't emulsifying your oils with egg lecithin you just aren't elite!

PS: that abstract is about triglycerides - nothing about calories there.
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    Do you even understand that study you just posted? It was about postprandial plasma TG
    concentrations(which would obviously spike quicker/more if the fats digested at a faster rate) and satiety not gaining/losing weight due to the time it takes to digest. Clearly something slower digesting in your stomach would last longer in there and therefore make you feel satiated longer. However at the end of the day it's the calories/macros/micros/fiber/omegas that matter NOT how fast or slow the food you ate digests. Something like eating a "slow" digesting food to feel fuller longer would be a preference and wouldn't directly have an effect on body composition.

EDIT: and just so you know food takes much longer to digest than you may think, it will take most foods at least 8-12 hours to fully digest