Do "cleanses" work?

Options
kmm7309
kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
I am not a "fad diet" kind of girl. I lost my 70 pounds over the course of a year's worth of hard work. But recently, a few of my friends have been doing various cleanses and seem to be getting good results. One friend took off 8 1/2 inches total after 10 days. So my two questions are:

1) Have you done a cleanse?
2) Did you keep off the inches/weight afterwards?

I have graduation in 9 days and my graduation dress is a tiny bit snug. I thought a cleanse might boost my image if it works well, but I'm not going to pay for temporary results. I want to look good, but I don't have money to throw at something that won't last.

So what are your experiences?

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Cleanses usually get a pretty bad reputation on this site.

For one there is zero evidence that cleanses actually help your body (in some cases they actually harm it)

There also is no known toxin that these cleanses are actually cleansing.

The best cleanse you can possibly do is to eat a well balanced diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables, drink water, and exercise.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options

For one there is zero evidence that cleanses actually help your body (in some cases they actually harm it)

The best cleanse you can possibly do is to eat a well balanced diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables, drink water, and exercise.

This.

They are a take-your-money gimmick. Any weight lost is only water weight and you'll put it right back on the minute you eat/drink something.
  • kmm7309
    Options
    Thanks. I figured so. I've done so good keeping away from quick results like HCG and Slim-fast, and people (who are not on here) always give me crap for that. I thought maybe the sheep people were right for once. But they have not been right yet!
  • mousetrousers
    mousetrousers Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Every time I've tried a juice cleanse, I do loose lbs but I'm not sure about inches. But I get extremely hungry and then I end up binge eating and end up gaining more in the end. Maybe try cutting calories back a bit, if your dress is just a little snug. Good luck.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/balance/natural-liver-detox-diets-liver-cleansing

in my opinion certain cleanses can be great for someone who's looking to go from eating a standard american diet (ie: lots of processed food) to a more clean, healthful diet. they're a great launching point, because they can help break the "addiction" to crappy food. that said, they really don't do anything different for you than eating clean would in the first place - in other words, eating less processed food and eating more fruits and veggies. but some people have problems just switching to a cleaner diet cold turkey, because their bodies still crave the junk.

all that said, there are plenty of people out there looking to rip you off, so while they can be useful, unless you're willing to make a lifestyle change on the other end of the cleanse, you're gonna keep yo-yo-ing, and shelling out more and more money for repeated cleanses that you wouldn't need if you just improved your regular diet.

are they necessary? no. can they be helpful to some people? yes.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    In 9 days you're not gonna lose a whole of fat. Look at the thread about how to lose water weight, that will helpyou.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

there really are a plethora of toxins in our system, however no simple 21 day cleanse can get rid of them - about that you're correct.

best break down of cleanses I've seen so far:

http://www.drfranklipman.com/detox-demystified-fad-fact-or-fiction/
  • lisagregory01
    lisagregory01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Fruit, chicken, lettuce. Repeat.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I suggest a steak and eggs fast. Just steak and eggs. Bet you lose as much as you would on a juice cleanse. Just sayin'. ;)
  • kmm7309
    Options
    Thanks for your help guys. I promise I'm not a fad kind of person, and I did read those articles that were posted on there. They helped me make the decision not to cleanse :drinker: