Could not sleeping make me gain weight?

So i have become REALLY discouraged ...I have been running/walking and spent a weekend at the beach im eating small portions drinking a lot of tea and water. I dont sleep much and i skip days of sleeping (insomnia) but im good about everything else. I feel like my body is looking better but apparently ive gained 3 pounds . I feel horrible .I have never been this heavy. What am i doing wrong?
Will my sleeping habits actually make me gain weight?

Replies

• Susieout
    Susieout Posts: 102 Member
    It doesn't help. I also have problems with sleeping & I find being awake longer gives you more time to eat.
  • MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    As I understand it (and if someone who has a better grasp stops by, please do elaborate), a chronic lack of sleep raises the body's cortisol levels (stress hormone), which does contribute to weight issues. I know when I don't get enough sleep, I eat more as an alternative way to refuel.

HOWEVER, if you're getting the exercise it's also possible you're putting on muscle. If your scale is stressing you out, drop it for a while and just use your measuring tape, it's a better indicator of a reshaping body anyhow.
  • imacocobo
    imacocobo Posts: 8
    As I understand it (and if someone who has a better grasp stops by, please do elaborate), a chronic lack of sleep raises the body's cortisol levels (stress hormone), which does contribute to weight issues. I know when I don't get enough sleep, I eat more as an alternative way to refuel.

HOWEVER, if you're getting the exercise it's also possible you're putting on muscle. If your scale is stressing you out, drop it for a while and just use your measuring tape, it's a better indicator of a reshaping body anyhow.

I dont "exercise" per say. ..I just run / walk as often as i can. So thats 10 to 40 min 2 times a day . Im not sure that would cause muscle. But i think it makes sense to drop the scale.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    I agree there's the cortisol issue. I found that when I napped a lot I lost weight faster.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    I agree there's the cortisol issue. I found that when I napped a lot I lost weight faster.

ohhh how I wish I could LOL...

Have you addressed your insomnia in any way? (doctors / self help etc.) I too have seen that lack of sleep can certainly cause weight issues. I personally sleep my 8 hrs each night - my husband not so much. One of my girls we recently put on melatonin for lack of sleep.

There is help out there...but it does not always solve the sleep issue for everyone.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member

Have you addressed your insomnia in any way? (doctors / self help etc.) I too have seen that lack of sleep can certainly cause weight issues. I personally sleep my 8 hrs each night - my husband not so much. One of my girls we recently put on melatonin for lack of sleep.

There is help out there...but it does not always solve the sleep issue for everyone.

Don't be jealous. With my 3 month old those days are gone lol
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member

Don't be jealous. With my 3 month old those days are gone lol

LMAO!!
  • crazy4fids
    crazy4fids Posts: 173
    Like others have posted, yes, lack of sleep will contribute to weight retention. If you have chronic insomnia, like me, seek the advice of an MD. And whatever you do, don't opt for the easy way out (medication). These help short term, but don't solve the root insomnia problem. I took medication called temezepam for seven years and it took me a year of tapering off valium to get off it.

Modifying your diet and getting exercise worked wonders for me. I am super sensitive to stimulants and food with a lot of junk in it. Artificial sweeteners will keep me up all night as much as stress and caffeine.
  • imacocobo
    imacocobo Posts: 8
    Like others have posted, yes, lack of sleep will contribute to weight retention. If you have chronic insomnia, like me, seek the advice of an MD. And whatever you do, don't opt for the easy way out (medication). These help short term, but don't solve the root insomnia problem. I took medication called temezepam for seven years and it took me a year of tapering off valium to get off it.

Modifying your diet and getting exercise worked wonders for me. I am super sensitive to stimulants and food with a lot of junk in it. Artificial sweeteners will keep me up all night as much as stress and caffeine.

Sound advice indeed. Thanks hun! :D I guess ill have to pay a visit to the Doctor~