Vitamins

Options
I need to start taking vitamins because i have very busy hectic days and my energy doesnt seem to last very long. I've heard that vitamin help. What vitamins do you recommend?

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Definitely a multi-vitamin. Maybe even one that supports weight loss like weight smart (weight sharp-generic). These contain EGCG which is green tea extract and helps increase metabolism. B12 vitamins are also a natural way to boost energy. They are naturally occurring so no bad side effects. If you are deficient in vitamin D then taking calcium with vitamin D would be helpful. Vitamin C is a great immune booster so if you are a little under the weather this can help you get some energy back. Good luck!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I just try to take a daily multivitamin and a vitamin D/calcium supplement. Occasionally I take a fish oil too but tend to forget.
  • treasurep
    treasurep Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I was just at the doctor's yesterday and we discussed vitamins. I don't have my paperwork with me on what he has recommended I'll post what he recommend when I get home-i do remember a vitamin b complex and a vitiman b 12 along with a multi vitiman but there was another one I don't recall.
  • maddox22
    maddox22 Posts: 91
    Options
    Unless your diet is lacking in calories or real foods, you probably don't need a multivitamin. You'll be healthier (and richer) if you save your money and just make sure to eat plenty of fruits, veg, and whole grains, get enough sleep, drink lots of water, and exercise regularly. Unless your doctor specifically tells you you're deficient in a certain vitamin, I wouldn't worry about it. A multi isn't going to give you more energy. I'd concentrate more on getting the right macronutrients--make sure you are getting enough carbs and protein, and that you're not eating a lot of processed stuff.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I would reccomend a good multi and a Super B Complex. I can feel the difference in energy! I used to be a pharmacy tech and a pharmacist reccomended it to me!
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    My favorite, which seems to do the trick, is One A Day for Women with Active Lifestyles.
  • shell1205
    shell1205 Posts: 138
    Options
    I take One A Day women's Active mind & body... definitely notice an energy difference... I take it woth food, though, otherwise I get nauseous!!
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Unless your diet is lacking in calories or real foods, you probably don't need a multivitamin. You'll be healthier (and richer) if you save your money and just make sure to eat plenty of fruits, veg, and whole grains, get enough sleep, drink lots of water, and exercise regularly. Unless your doctor specifically tells you you're deficient in a certain vitamin, I wouldn't worry about it. A multi isn't going to give you more energy. I'd concentrate more on getting the right macronutrients--make sure you are getting enough carbs and protein, and that you're not eating a lot of processed stuff.

Having completed a nutrition class in college recently, I agree with this. I was in a group that had this subject to do as a presentation and that is pretty much what we came up with as a conclusion for vitamins/supplements.
  • kmulhollen
    kmulhollen Posts: 54
    Options

I am not a dietitian or anything but I would be careful to entirely close off the idea of needing to supplement with vitamins. I was also of the thought that if I eat a balanced diet of meats, fruits and vegetables, etc... I didn't need to take them. Recently, I had routine blood work showing I am Vitamin D deficient. So now I take a multivitamin, calcium and vitamin D and have noticed a marked change in my energy level and no fatigue. Apparently, It is very difficult to get sufficient vitamin D through diet alone and MANY people are finding out they are also low. That's why milk is fortified with vitamin D. You may have also read or heard about how doctors are concerned that people don't get vitamin D because of sunscreen use. Using a SPF of 8 decreases Vitamin D exposure by 95%!

Maybe this will help someone like me who had no idea about Vitamin D.
    Best of luck:smile:
  • dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I tend to throw up vitamins, so I take One A Day Gummies. It is a nice sugar treat and only 10 calories. Plus it stays down.
  • treasurep
    treasurep Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The other vitamin he had me purchase was vit. D
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My gyn always recommends taking a multi vitamin because once you hit 30 you start to lose bone mass...
  • maddox22
    maddox22 Posts: 91
    Options
    I am not a dietitian or anything but I would be careful to entirely close off the idea of needing to supplement with vitamins. I was also of the thought that if I eat a balanced diet of meats, fruits and vegetables, etc... I didn't need to take them. Recently, I had routine blood work showing I am Vitamin D deficient. So now I take a multivitamin, calcium and vitamin D and have noticed a marked change in my energy level and no fatigue. Apparently, It is very difficult to get sufficient vitamin D through diet alone and MANY people are finding out they are also low. That's why milk is fortified with vitamin D. You may have also read or heard about how doctors are concerned that people don't get vitamin D because of sunscreen use. Using a SPF of 8 decreases Vitamin D exposure by 95%!

Right, if your doc tells you you're deficient, then by all means follow his/her advice. I was more commenting on the need for a multivitamin for someone with no known deficiencies. Also, if you're only deficient in D, there's no need to spend big $$ for a multivitamin--just supplement what you need.
    My gyn always recommends taking a multi vitamin because once you hit 30 you start to lose bone mass...
    A multivitamin will not stop you from losing bone mass. Weight-bearing exercise and CALCIUM supplements will reduce bone loss, but a multivitamin (as far as I know) is not going to keep your bones healthy.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    A multivitamin will not stop you from losing bone mass. Weight-bearing exercise and CALCIUM supplements will reduce bone loss, but a multivitamin (as far as I know) is not going to keep your bones healthy.
    [/quote]

Just a note, you need calcium + Vitamin D for healthy bones. Don't forget the D!! :smile:
  • JBennis1013
    Options
    She didn't mean it like it would cure bone loss but it would definitely keep the bones healthy.

Just a note, you need calcium + Vitamin D for healthy bones. Don't forget the D!! :smile:
    [/quote]
  • JBennis1013
    Options
    [/quote]
    She didn't mean it like it would cure bone loss but it would definitely keep the bones healthy.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'm iron-deficient anemic (as well as having nutrient absorbtion issues) and yes, a multi-vitamin with 100% RDA of iron does wonders for my energy levels. The problem for me is that iron and calcium compete to be absorbed in the stomach, so I have to take my iron and calcium separately. I take One A Day Weight Smart in the mornings with breakfast (100% D and Iron), and Viactive at night with dinner.
  • jlizgar
    jlizgar Posts: 104
    Options

Most folks are vitamin D deficiant, even if they take a suppliment! Because of crazy FDA regulations, companies can only recommend a certain daily amount but really, most folks need more than what your suppliment bottle recommends for the day, and its especially important during cold & flu season...vitamin D in high enough amounts can knock out the flu in NO time!
    Getting it from the sun is your BEST bet, but even still, I take a suppliment on top of sun screen free sun exposure for 30 min a day.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    We don't get the nutrients in our food like years ago, so a vitamin is necessary.
    I am 60+ and I take Vitamin D, Omega 3 fish oils, Vitamin C, Calcium/Magnesium.
    My energy level is pretty good most of the time.
    Eating right and exercising is the key to a healthy bod.
    Shirley61