An end to binge eating

Options
Hello!
I use to use mfp but ended up deleting that account ages ago but now I am back and want to get back on track. I am looking for friends on here to support me- but especially anyone who has struggled with binge eating. I honestly am not sure why I am not over weight, I binge-eat about 4 times a week, always at night, usually consuming about 3,000-4,000 calories in one sitting (on top of my daily calories of around 1,500). I hate it and I hate how it makes me feel and I am giving it my all to try to stop this behavior. Also I am a vegetarian so if anyone wants to share yummy recipes let me know.
Thanks!

Replies

• Jami_A
    Jami_A Posts: 19
    Options
    Fellow binge eater here, except I am over weight :( (5 kids, being lazy & suffering from a BED = me needing to loose weight). Welcome back. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like :)
  • skmee24
    skmee24 Posts: 1
    Options
    Im the same way! I'm not overweight, but I fear that I will be if I continue on the track I am on!
  • 1risingup
    1risingup Posts: 4
    Options
    I have been a binge eater most of my life, and I can empathize with you. What worked for me was joining a 12-step program last January. I've heard of many successes with a variety of weight-loss, self-management, and recovery groups. Finding the one for you may be your first step towards understanding the "why" behind the bingeing.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I've been a binge-eater at times over the years but seem to have achieved a measure of control over the last few years. I attribute this to my hard-earned knowledge of what foods trigger my binges - and avoiding them. I control my environment: I don't buy cookies (or cake or other sugary treats) because I am incapable of eating just one Oreo. One of two things have actually happened when I had cookies in the house: (1) I consume the entire bag; or (2) I consume half (or more) of the bag and, in a fit of rage, pour dish soap over the remainder and throw it in the trash. In cases where I did not pour dish soap on the remainder, I have been known to retrieve the bag from the garbage - and finish off the rest.

In my current weight-loss journey, I also discontinued buying/eating bread, as I found it was also a trigger. It is just so easy to toast up a stack of bread, load it with peanut butter, and find I had eaten 1500 cals or more. I still eat peanut butter, but I have it with celery and apple -- and I measure the peanut butter.

Once these kind of foods are out of my system, I find the control I need to avoid bingeing. I'm far from perfect but believe this strategy has helped me.
  • willowinn
    willowinn Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm a total binge eater. Sometimes I feel like everytime I eat I want to binge - its all I think about really I'm so obsessive over food. And I also sometimes think that EVERY food is a trigger food for me. I used to be very restrictive with calories but was really thin and have gained about 20 lbs - which honestly makes me sick to think of. I want a way to stop my obsessive binging and eat healthy nutritious meals!! Binging is so tough. Always good to hear that I'm not alone.
  • SheriKCourtney
    Options
    Wow, It is nice to know that others fight this same battle. I too am a binge eater and then the remorse is so disheartening. Thanks so much for sharing info.
  • TIMv4
    TIMv4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The binging is definitely a major factor of how I got to my high weight. No portion control and those foods have an addictive quality to them that makes you crave them the next day so it's very tough to break that cycle.

The last batch of years my weight has been stable as I've usually chosen foods that have some sort of redeeming value or nutrition to them or at least are not empty nutritionally. It's been so long I've had corn type snack bags around the house. If I have anything snacky like that it's usually pretzel sticks or my favorite Okedoke popcorn. Those fill me and I didn't end up eating the whole bag.

I was definitely on a crave cycle for some snacks just prior to using the mfp app and after a week, those cravings faded away. And I could see it in my food log as there more things I was eating that first week but faded away as I ate less of them or portioned them out smaller.

My energy definitely evened out and moods are definitely more normal once the high doses of sugar or corn snacks were eliminated.

Using the mfp app is just a really good way to confront some of those choices and see how they dominate your daily calorie needs if you have anything over a small portion.
  • ktafr16
    ktafr16 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have been binge-eating since I was about the age of 13 and now I am 28 and it hasn't ended. I recently got done an eating disorder group called Eating With Grace which was a 2.5 month weekly meeting with others that have an eating disorder. It was tough and I noticed that I binged more while I was engaging in this group. About a month and a half ago, I was at my heaviest (228 lbs) and I knew I had to change. I was unhappy and depressed. I decided to walk and now I head to the gym 3-4 times a week. What has helped was for me to be open with people about it (boyfriend, family and close friends). Yesterday, I was hanging out with my friend and I told her that I felt a binge coming on...there is always a reason why we are bingeing. She was able to talk me through it and help me realize why I was choosing to binge. I was able to to process this and I got right onto MFP for motivation.

I learned that if you feel a binge coming on, look back and reflect on why you are bingeing in the first place. What are the reasons? Why do you feel the need to binge? We will never be "cured" of bingeing but we can certainly make adjustments in our lifestyle and the way we think. Our bodies are telling us something, we need to reflect and listen to what that is before we turn to food. Yes, bingeing makes me feel good...in the moment and that's it. We need to remember how we feel after the fact. Of course we are going to have set backs and that's okay, tomorrow is a new day:-)

Add me if you are looking for motivation and inspiration!

Kate
  • Shauna776
    Shauna776 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my story exactly! I have to fight off the urges almost every night... sometimes I succeed, sometimes I don't.... Best thing to do is jump back on the metaphoric wagon! I'd be happy to support you. Friend request sent! :-)
  • coutureaffair
    Options
    Yes!! I deal with the same thing it's so disappointing. Add me if you'd like, it would be great to have the support of people that understand!