Strength training/weights website?

Options
I have been diagnosed with Osteopenia and my doctors have told me I need to start strength training. I currently use the recumbent bike and walk but now that the weather is better I plan on running again. Last summer I was up to running 3 miles a day, 3 times a week (so you have an idea of my fitness level) then I had surgery and stopped running. Anyway, I don't want to join a gym, so I was hoping somebody can point me to a website that I can use. I want to add weights to my cardio workouts. I have NEVER used weights before!

Thanks!

Replies

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Here are several plans:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I'd either look into buying a squat rack and an olympic weight set, or join a gym.
    If it's bad enough that the doctors are recommending you start strength training, I think I'd be at the gym.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If your doctor said strength training, that's way different than just adding weights to cardio. bodybuilding.com, as suggested, is great. Muscleandstrength.com has good info as well.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    You either need to join a gym, or purchase weights for the home.

There are different forms of strength training out there. Typically when people talk about it, they mean free weights and barbells, but can include gymnastics, calisthenics, martial arts, and plyometrics.

Check out the book (website???) "You are your own gym."
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much you want to nerd out on this, and assuming you want to start lifting with iron (as Apollo said there are other ways as well), I'd consider investing in Rippetoe's starting strength. It's a good starting point for learning the main lifts and how to do them, and in my opinion the discussion is far better than trying to mimic youtube videos and the like.

Whether you use that program or not doesn't really matter, just learn the lifts and do them (again assuming you're not going the gymnastics route or what have you).
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women

Get this book. Only about $15. It's a whole way of thinking and this is geared to women. Changed the way I work out and I love it.
  • lheaton
    lheaton Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have started the 5x5 program you can get free from www.stronglifts.com

They also have a free app for your phone that is awesome. I would definitely use that. I have never done anything like this before, but it is simple and proven. I don't guess I've ever worked my back muscles because I can feel it big time in my upper back (a good feeling like I actually did something).
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Buy the books New Rules of Lifting for Women and Starting Strength. You will then be armed with all of the information you need to begin intelligently weight training.
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!