Roasted Cauliflower Soup

Options
booch221
booch221 Posts: 51 Member
This quick and easy soup tastes like a cream soup without the cream!

12 ounces of cauliflower
1 medium onion
2 teaspoons of olive oil
2 cans low fat chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste

Place cauliflower (break into florets) and onion (sliced) on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 teaspoons of olive oil, toss, add salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 20 minutes at 450 degrees, turn over half way through. Cauliflower should get dark brown spots on it.

Add to a pot with the chicken broth. Deglaze the roasting pan with a little water and add to the pot. Simmer for 10 minutes. Puree with an immersion blender until smooth.

Makes 4 BIG servings, 100 calories each.

Replies

• aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    Yummy, thanks.
  • cuppycake22
    cuppycake22 Posts: 224
    Options
    Bump!
  • Natalie43
    Natalie43 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love cauliflower thx :wink:
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • ldybugg
    ldybugg Posts: 134
    Options
    bump
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i have made a similar soup and it is soooo good! thanks for the reminder!
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I love cauliflower and in the winter I make a "soup for the week" every Sunday. Can't wait to add this to my rotation!
    thanks for sharing
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nellie1drfl
    Nellie1drfl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    bumpo
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Sounds tasty!

I'm looking forward to trying this one.
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    YUM! Thanks for posting! I was looking for a new way to incorporate cauliflower into our diet and this will work wonderfully. I'm excited to try it!
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!! Thanks for posting!
  • Paula_Addem
    Paula_Addem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    yumyumyum!! Thanks!
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    thanks for sharing!
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    bump
  • booch221
    Options
    I got this idea from Martha Stewart's TV show, except she fried the cauliflower (and didn't deglaze the pan!), used shallots instead of onion, and strained the soup through a sieve (removing all the fiber). I think my version is easier and better for you.

A lot of times I have fresh herbs left over from another recipe. A little chopped fresh Rosemary goes great on this soup, but I bet just about any fresh herb of your liking would be good.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I made a variation on this the other night for dinner. The main difference being that I didn't roast the cauliflower.

I sauteed one large yellow onion (diced) in two tbsp EVOO for 5 minutes, then added 2 cans of low-sodium chicken broth, and about a half a cup of water. I brought that to a boil, then added two heads of cauliflower (just the florets). I let that boil for fifteen minutes, then I drained out the liquid and set it a side. I returned the cauliflower to the pot and added 1.5 cups of half and half. I used an immersion blender to liquefy the cauliflower while adding back in about half of the stock I had previously drained until it had a consistency I was satisfied with.

After ladling it into serving bowls, I inserted one broccoli floret into the center for decoration, then hit it with the pepper mill and sprinkled 1tsp of Parmesan cheese on top. I served it with pan fried lemon garlic chicken breasts and a baked roll. Everybody seemed to enjoy it, even my 3yr old daughter! :smile:

I don't have the exact numbers, but it was right around 180 calories for an 8oz serving.

18866eb8-1-2.jpg
  • booch221
    Options
    Nice looking meal. How do you add pictures to your post?
  • barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I made this exactly as the OP described, except doubled the batch and added a dash of tarragon. It is beautiful! Roasted vegetables have such amazing flavour, you really dont need to add any cream at all!

Thanks for the recipe :flowerforyou:
  • greenteadaily
    Options
    DH has been on a roasted cauliflower kick. We had it at a restaurant several months ago and he's been trying to perfect his recipe every since. I think he finally hit it last night, as he said 'I could eat this every night.' I like it, but I could not eat it every night. He tends to make a giant batch each time and now I know what I'll do with much of it next time. :) Thanks.