Cooking Oil Calories, how do you factor?

Options
I am a low-carb eater. A couple times a week I bake some chicken wings. I break it up in servings of 6 and this counts as 495 calories and 10 net carbs with the actual wings and bread crumbs I use.

The cooking oil is 130 calories per tbsp. I used about 8 tbsp to cook this pack of wings which is about 4 tbsp per serving that I eat. This means I have to add 520 calories to my serving of wings? Most of the oil is on bottom of pan and I only use it so the bread crumbs will stick to wings.

Should I count the full 130 calories per tbps or cut it in half to 65?

Any advice?

Replies

• Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I am a low-carb eater. A couple times a week I bake some chicken wings. I break it up in servings of 6 and this counts as 495 calories and 10 net carbs with the actual wings and bread crumbs I use.

The cooking oil is 130 calories per tbsp. I used about 8 tbsp to cook this pack of wings which is about 4 tbsp per serving that I eat. This means I have to add 520 calories to my serving of wings? Most of the oil is on bottom of pan and I only use it so the bread crumbs will stick to wings.

Any advice?

Measure how much is left in the pan, subtract that amount from the total.
  • TravelerX
    TravelerX Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bake the wings instead. Dip them in egg whites to get the crumbs to stick.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Could you try egg whites to help the breadcrumbs stick instead? Then, then, you could use less oil and have less waste overall.
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Bake the wings instead. Dip them in egg whites to get the crumbs to stick.

I either do this or mix the egg whites with a small amount of skim milk.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

Any advice?

With all due respect, why do you bread things ? Unless you prefer breading for your own reasons, there is no justification from a nutritional or cooking standpoint. Usually it's just white bread from bleached flour that no matter what you do absorbs fat.
    I have for years baked chicken wings for example without fat in the oven and fry thin slices of meat ( like un-breaded chicken breast or pork schnitzel ) in a good quality Teflon type pan and save those 135 calories from cooking oil to make a delicious vinagrette with olive, hazelnut or other nutritious oils, the occasional spoon of mayo or other fats that are more beneficial than cooking oil .