Weight GAIN during pregnancy question

Options
Shayztar
Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
Does anyone know how weight gained during pregnancy works? Should it be linear?

I started eating an extra 250 cals over TDEE during my 2nd trimester. I steadily gained 0.5 to 1 lbs per week and I was happy with that. However, I am just about to start my 3rd trimester, and suddenly I've gained 10 lbs in the last few weeks. My Dr doesn't really care since I haven't been over-eating, and it's been mainly healthy foods. I've gained 18 lbs to date. I know that's a healthy amount since I am 25 weeks pregnant.

At this point, I have read that I should increase my calories up another 250 above TDEE now that I am starting my 3rd trimester soon. I guess I am a little scared to do that in light of my recent weight spike.. I am not eating too far over/under the 2450 cals a day. My activity hasn't really changed, my diet hasn't really changed.

I tied googling my question, and I couldn't sift thru all the medical journals that came up. I tried posting to the pregnancy forums, and all I got was "zomg stahp crying, I've gained 30 lbs!" I was hoping someone here could provide a little insight. This is my 3rd pregnancy, but I didn't care about weight with my previous two. Also, I used this site to lost 60 lbs of pregnancy weight over 2012. I'm no newb to how things work around here. Feel free to check out my diary.

Thanks for your help!!

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Your hormones are super cray cray right now so this could be causing hella water retention. I wouldn't be concerned about it, especially if your doctor doesn't think anything of it.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how weight gained during pregnancy works? Should it be linear?

I started eating an extra 250 cals over TDEE during my 2nd trimester. I steadily gained 0.5 to 1 lbs per week and I was happy with that. However, I am just about to start my 3rd trimester, and suddenly I've gained 10 lbs in the last few weeks. My Dr doesn't really care since I haven't been over-eating, and it's been mainly healthy foods. I've gained 18 lbs to date. I know that's a healthy amount since I am 25 weeks pregnant.

At this point, I have read that I should increase my calories up another 250 above TDEE now that I am starting my 3rd trimester soon. I guess I am a little scared to do that in light of my recent weight spike.. I am not eating too far over/under the 2450 cals a day. My activity hasn't really changed, my diet hasn't really changed.

I tied googling my question, and I couldn't sift thru all the medical journals that came up. I tried posting to the pregnancy forums, and all I got was "zomg stahp crying, I've gained 30 lbs!" I was hoping someone here could provide a little insight. This is my 3rd pregnancy, but I didn't care about weight with my previous two. Also, I used this site to lost 60 lbs of pregnancy weight over 2012. I'm no newb to how things work around here. Feel free to check out my diary.

Thanks for your help!!

It can be water weight. The weight gain that is considered "too much" is relative to your current body. Whether you are skinny, overweight, obese etc.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pregnancy-weight-gain/PR00111
    that is mainly based off of a normal woman.

additional refernces: I am a nursing student who just got tested over this information
  • DatMurse
    Options
    I am sure you could also take a look at your feet and see if they are swollen which is a sign of edema
  • krichardson0102
    krichardson0102 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Most of your weight gain should come during your 3rd trimester, that's when your beautiful baby will be doing the most growing. Most doctors will recommend an extra 500 calories a day for baby. As long as your eating enough for your baby to grow and the growth is measuring on track you should be fine. 18 lbs is not that much to gain, just be sensible and follow your doctors orders :smile:
  • Shayztar
    Options
    I never thought about water retention! I know that it certainly happens since all the water comes out the week after giving birth in all kinds of neat and disgusting ways. I was afraid that my body was doing something weird with fat retention, or slowing of metabolism despite eating properly in order to provide for the baby.

I am still slightly nervous of adding yet another 250 calories soon. But I find I'm craving steaks and cheese, that type of thing. Knowing that the majority of weight gain will be coming up is insane. It was hard making such a quick switch from eating at a deficit to eating at a surplus! But knowing I didn't lose or gain weight until the second trimester means I have my calories set just about right.

Any other insight you can provide, DatMurse? My OB keeps waving away my concerns over weight gain, and I just want to make sure I do it healthy this time around.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    I never thought about water retention! I know that it certainly happens since all the water comes out the week after giving birth in all kinds of neat and disgusting ways. I was afraid that my body was doing something weird with fat retention, or slowing of metabolism despite eating properly in order to provide for the baby.

I am still slightly nervous of adding yet another 250 calories soon. But I find I'm craving steaks and cheese, that type of thing. Knowing that the majority of weight gain will be coming up is insane. It was hard making such a quick switch from eating at a deficit to eating at a surplus! But knowing I didn't lose or gain weight until the second trimester means I have my calories set just about right.

Any other insight you can provide, DatMurse? My OB keeps waving away my concerns over weight gain, and I just want to make sure I do it healthy this time around.
    The water retention may even come off sooner.
    btw it also comes from the night sweats you have after birth. you lose about 5.5 pounds for the average postpartum woman

steak and cheese is fine. low levels of b12 are associated with neurological defects and animal products are high in b12. Meat also have alot more micronutrients than people think
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    its very difficult not to get caught up in the constant concern that you're not getting enough of x,
    and this and that super food, and jasmine rice is good for this, kind of hype.
    you sound like you're doing great. planning, and all of that is very difficult.
    just keep swimming, knowing your weight gain doesn't have to be linear,
    and as long as it's not excessive, you're fine. the baby needs this,
    and you're doing the best you can.
    try to destess as much as you can, and hope they are healthy. good luck :)
  • DatMurse
    Options

I would honestly trust your OB. I am sure there are plenty of sketchy doctors out there but their best interest is you. Unless they are a piece of ****.

I am still learning, I will be graduating with my bachelors of nursing in a semester, and I am taking family and maternal nursing right now. While I am not expert or seasoned nurse nutrition and postpartum was the material i excelled in.

Do you exercise while you are pregnant?
  • DatMurse
    Options
    its very difficult not to get caught up in the constant concern that you're not getting enough of x,
    I never cared too much for maternity nursing. Especially as a guy it was a foreign world to me.
    I kind of hate to say that I like babies and I kind of like the field even if I am going to go into oncology.

Again I am not a seasoned registered nurse. I am only a student with book material fresh in my head... but.. from 2 days in labor and delivery and 2 days in mother baby.

I will say that it is better to have someone overworry about their nutrition and baby's health rather than being a piece of **** and smoking cigarettes while she is pregnant. When I saw that from a patient I was so angry I had to walk out of the room. Not caring about your health is one thing, but that child isnt even born yet and you are treating it like **** already
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Right now, not only is your baby growing and demanding resources from your body; but, your body is still building extra blood supply. It takes a LOT of extra energy to support the baby and I assure you, your baby will get everything he or she wants even at the expense of leaching nutrients from your bones. Eat your extra calories. Eat healthy foods and don't stress about it. Obviously, gaining 50 lbs is probably not healthy but gaining 25 or 30 is normal. And weight gain is not linear. I was pretty overweight when I got pregnant with #1 and ended up with gestational diabetes so did not gain much over all- but, when I did, I gained it all at once it seemed. I didn't gain for 14 weeks then gained 6 lbs in 2 weeks :P My OB was not concerned because I did not gain like that every time
  • CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I had a couple spurts of 10lb gains in my pregnancy, which sucked bc without those gains I would have done just fine and probably also would not have had as many stretch marks... It sounds though like you're doing very well even with the sudden gain.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    P.S. Cravings often have a basis in biological need during pregnancy. your body probably is telling you something with the cheese and steak cravings. I know I could not get enough cheese while pregnant - lots of calcium, good fats, protein (and it's yummy too)
  • Shayztar
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the support everybody!

I am exercising. I don't always log all of my activities. I swim once a week, I walk 5 times a week, not to mention the fact that I never sit being a SAHM to two very active kids under 4. Like I mentioned before, I was unconcerned about all of this during my previous pregnancies, and in the end, I ended up 225. I was not happy. It took a year on this site to get down to 165. Then I got pregnant WITH an IUD in place. Talk about sudden switch in mind-set! I still want to do what's good for me, but I do not want to do it at the expense of my surprise baby. :)

It is a very cool thing to see a male nurse take such an interest in maternity nursing. With all three of my pregnancies, I have never met one single male maternity nurse. Even if you end up in oncology, it's pretty cool to have the knowledge. Don't miss your calling tho! Babies can be pretty awesome.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the support everybody!

I am exercising. I don't always log all of my activities. I swim once a week, I walk 5 times a week, not to mention the fact that I never sit being a SAHM to two very active kids under 4. Like I mentioned before, I was unconcerned about all of this during my previous pregnancies, and in the end, I ended up 225. I was not happy. It took a year on this site to get down to 165. Then I got pregnant WITH an IUD in place. Talk about sudden switch in mind-set! I still want to do what's good for me, but I do not want to do it at the expense of my surprise baby. :)

It is a very cool thing to see a male nurse take such an interest in maternity nursing. With all three of my pregnancies, I have never met one single male maternity nurse. Even if you end up in oncology, it's pretty cool to have the knowledge. Don't miss your calling tho! Babies can be pretty awesome.

It kind of scares me to be honest I never held a baby until a few weeks ago. I am still iffy around little kids who dont listen to adults. For babies it is all reflex and isnt their actual choice and they obviously do not know any better.

I think I liked it because the staff reminded me of an oncology staff and they were very loving in L&D. They told my instructor I should be an OB nurse and apparently my classmates heard it too.

I had to do a presentation over exercise and pregnancy and there are way too many good things about it. It is unbelievable what effects it could have on the baby and mother(psychologically and physically).
    Especially Yoga(I see you are doing that).
    -Increased core strength will prevent lumbar pain in relation to weight gain.
    -Exercise can increase blood flow and delivery of nutrients.
    -Exercising will also prevent risks for deep vein thrombosis which pregnant women are prone for.
    -Its a combination of strength and cardiovascular training
    - It is known to aid with reduction of anxiety and stress.
    -Shows to lower the risks of pre-term labor
    -Yoga itself is a form of psychotherapy, which can is also associated with lower incidences of post partum depression

I wouldnt mind doing antepartum and teachings with a mom as far as prenatal nutrition, and maternal and neonatal well being.

I will say this. This wasnt part of my presentation but they are finding a correlation with Vitamin D deficiencies and eclampsia. You could ask your OB about it next time you are in there. That can start around 20 weeks.(I Doubt this will happen to you but just fun knowledge). Makes you think about vitamin D intake.

Also dont be shy of meat, I would worry about quality, but meat itself I woudlnt.

I wish you the best of luck I hope this pregnancy is a much more pleasant pregnancy for you
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I never cared too much for maternity nursing. Especially as a guy it was a foreign world to me.
    I kind of hate to say that I like babies and I kind of like the field even if I am going to go into oncology.

Again I am not a seasoned registered nurse. I am only a student with book material fresh in my head... but.. from 2 days in labor and delivery and 2 days in mother baby.

I will say that it is better to have someone overworry about their nutrition and baby's health rather than being a piece of **** and smoking cigarettes while she is pregnant. When I saw that from a patient I was so angry I had to walk out of the room. Not caring about your health is one thing, but that child isnt even born yet and you are treating it like **** already

I wasn't saying not to be concerned about it. she's already concerned, over analyzing is very likely to result in her
    thinking she needs more food than she does. and though she needs to eat a variety of healthy veggies and other foods.
    the magazines and nutrition info given pregnant women is extremely overwhelming.
    it doesn't have to be that stressful, she's keeping track of her calories,
    what she's eating, and doing really well.
  • DatMurse
    Options

I wasn't saying not to be concerned about it. she's already concerned, over analyzing is very likely to result in her
    thinking she needs more food than she does. and though she needs to eat a variety of healthy veggies and other foods.
    the magazines and nutrition info given pregnant women is extremely overwhelming.
    it doesn't have to be that stressful, she's keeping track of her calories,
    what she's eating, and doing really well.
    sorry

i meant to say i agree with you.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It wasn't linear in my case. Some weeks I gained more than others. Overall I gained 60lbs but a lot of it was water retention because I lost my first 25 lbs in about 2 weeks.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

What ways? I MUST KNOW!
  • DatMurse
    Options

What ways? I MUST KNOW!

when your uterus lining is ruptured all of the amniotic fluid will come out.

2-3 days post pregnancy you lose about 5-6 pounds of water weight via sweating at night
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I had vomiting during the whole time for both pregnancies, but it improved a little during the last trimester. So, I did not gain a lot of weight in the beginning (when I was 5 months pregnant I weighed 115 pounds at most). But, then, like you I gained most of the weight in the last trimester and there was one month when I gained 12 pounds. It's just the way it is. After giving birth, I lost so much of the weight very quickly in the first few weeks (so much of the weight was pregnancy related). I gained at least 10 pounds less the second pregnancy.