question about zumba

Options
Is it hard to learn and can it teach you how to dance?because i cant dance.but i wanna learn cause im afraid my boyfriend and our friend would wanna go to the club or something.i wanna know some moves u know what i mean.lol

Replies

• daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm not a clubbing person so I have no idea if Zumba would help me in a real life dance situation lol. but if you can't dance at all then zumba is definitely a good way to start feeling rhythms and learning the kind of bodily awareness that will improve the way you move. I have (had?!) two left feet, and so I started going to zumba and it definitely helped me. I also do Les Mills' Sh'bam class which has made a huge difference to the way I move and the confidence I feel about dancing.

When you go to zumba class don't try to think too much about what you are doing, I find it I use my head to remember the moves too much then I get confused and it is harder, just go with the flow and know that it will take a while to get some combinations of steps (though of course the basic zumba steps themselves are quite simple, even when you are starting off it still takes time to get your confidence up). The main thing is to have fun, and not worry at all if you go wrong, that is part of the fun :)
  • BSU_BroncoMisa
    Options
    Do you have a wii or xbox kinect? If so, try out the zumba games to get a feel for what it is like. I absolutely love zumba and wish I hadn't waited so long to try a class. If you try a class at a gym, I would suggest finding a spot up toward the front at the sides. I've seen SO many first timers hide in the back and get super confused. I know it's scary being toward the front if it's your first class, but really you'll have the best vantage point for seeing the instructor and learning the routine. Also, I would encourage you to not get discouraged and keep going to the class. It is common for instructors to use the same songs for a while (a couple months) and if you keep going back the choreography will start to be familiar. Hope that helps!
  • bigcrystal123
    bigcrystal123 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Do they have any free zumba work out on youtube....i dont have a wii or xbox yet.i have a ps3 but i dont think they have zumba on there
  • ShallaLovee1
    ShallaLovee1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Do they have any free zumba work out on youtube....i dont have a wii or xbox yet.i have a ps3 but i dont think they have zumba on there

Yip, they do. I've learned a few dances off of YouTube. Look up Zumba "Boom Boom mama" I love that one. I'm not sure what the girls name is that did the video but its three girls in the video dancing to it. Zumba is just so much fun. I don't go to the classes very often but I do the videos at home. The music is incredible. I just lose myself in it. It's so freshing to me after an intense workout.
  • FezzesRCool
    FezzesRCool Posts: 36
    Options
    Cool thing too is that if you have the Wii, if you pick a video on the Youtube channel, it will start playing similar videos after the first one is over. So if you pick Zumba or Zumba Toning, it can become a nifty little workout video on its own.

I use that, own two Zumba games and regularly go to class at least once a week (I arranged my work schedule so I have one evening free to go, but if I find I have more time, I go more.

When summer gets a little nearer and it starts warming up, I'm planning to look into Aqua Zumba. I am more of a winter girl and not a fan of the heat at all, so this way, I can get a good workout without the heat. Plus, I'd love a little swim before/after or in between. Any of ya'll do Aqua Zumba? How is that working for you? :)