I can't do sit ups.

Options
I have never, ever, ever been able to do a sit up. Not even when I was slim and in high school. I can do crunches and bicycle crunches but I can't do a sit up with out weight on my feet! I'm doing the 30 day shred and I know I am working my core. I've done planks, crunches, etc. Any tips or am I hopeless? I've just never been able to, and now after 2 c-sections-- will I ever? Tips!

Replies

• thevegankelly
    thevegankelly Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Same here. I can do so many other ab exercises but I can't do a single sit up without putting my feet under something. Maybe we're broken.
  • Paki_Nugget
    Options
    Well that makes three of use I can't do them myself it's kinda sad and NO YOU ARE NOT HOPELESS IT'S JUST NOT IN OURS JEANS I GUESS I see ALOT of girls who are bit bigger then me and they can do them I can't ;-( if you ladies get any tips please do let me know ;-(
  • Scott15Fit
    Scott15Fit Posts: 71
    Options
    Just replace the sit-ups with crunches, it's too easy to do sit-ups wrong and pull a muscle anyway. I'm sure it's a bit harder for women than men especially if your top heavy.
  • PrinnyMartel
    PrinnyMartel Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I kind of scrunch up my core and then push myself up from there.
    I guess just focus more on getting your shoulder blades off the ground, not your whole back??

Um, yeah. It's really hard to explain without being able to actually demonstrate. @_@
    Sorry~

ETA: If you go to a gym, maybe ask an employee or a trainer for tips?
  • AlexBoBalex79
    AlexBoBalex79 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yay! There's more than just me!
  • Jolene5329
    Jolene5329 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I "don't* do sit-ups. After years and years and years of trying to do them, I just can't.

My neck hurts trying to do them and my gut pokes out instead of getting smaller.

So for now - forget it!
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    There are sooooo many other core exercises out there that do a better job, with less risk of injury, that I wouldn't (don't) even bother with the traditional sit-up anymore.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    My wife has the same problem even though she's rather fit. She has a fairly inflexible and strong lower back.

Just as a hunch, did you have back labor with your kids or the regular up front kind? Hers was 100% back labor. In my head I'm thinking there may be a connection.

The only suggestion I can think on is to work on your lower back flexibility. Don't trust my advice out of hand. Look into it first. I'm no professional.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I can do situps, but not unless I anchor my feet. Don't feel bad. I have NO CLUE how the hell they do that!

Yet, I can do a 3 minute plank. How???
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Right there with you! I absolutely can not do them without weight on my feet. I have tried and tried.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound silly, but Pilates. I couldn't do them before either and now I'm like Rocky. Don't get me wrong, my belly still jiggles (I'm working on it), but I can do those full on sit-ups now. I really think it was from Pilates; I had zero core strength before I started and now I do. :)
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    If you cant do situps its probably due to a weak core, like someone else said be careful dont wanna pull something.

Instead do other exercises that strengthen the core and periodically check your progress by trying to do situps.

Avoiding the activity that you want to get better, at is not the best way to achieve your goal.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    If you are set on doing the traditional sit up - use your couch (or some other stable heavy object) if there is space under it. Put your feet under the couch and use it to support your feet :) That is how I did them years ago lol

They also sell items to help with this - so you are so not alone ;)
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Meh, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't consider a sit up to be all that effective or even an indicator of fitness.
    You're doin' just fine :-)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that is common. I can do it, but my legs are pretty heavy. Try straightening your legs a bit more when you start up.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Situps are not necessary. There are better core exercises.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Sit-ups are overrated. Do plank type exercise instead.

There are a few listed here:
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/abdominalcorestrength1/qt/plank.htm
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    same here I do bent knee ones now which is easier but my feet still lift off the floor lol , Plus they give me headaches but hey there are many more things we can do that work your abs better. :@) and apparently Plank is the best thing for abs and core
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Planks > Sit ups