Fiesta Friday!

hawaiibound
hawaiibound Posts: 158
edited September 21 in Recipes
Every friday our family had Fiesta Friday! We have mexican food, play games, and enjoy eachothers company! We love Fiesta Friday! But after 3 weeks of tacos lol and fajitas lol i'm wondering what else I sould make for dinner tonite. I have chicken breasts ready to be cooked! Please give me any ideas preferrably low-cal!

Replies

• NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    There's a salsa chicken recipe on here somewhere! Maybe you could have that and put some veggies and spices into brown rice to make it more like mexican rice?
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    You could do quisadillas, or we has spinach and turkey enchiladas last night from www.eatbetteramerica.com and that was good. You could also do nachos, taco salad, tostadas, burritos. There are tons of little ways to "healthify" a dish! Good luck!!
  • 8turboturtle8
    8turboturtle8 Posts: 239 Member
    Maybe marinate them and cook with picante sauce with a little shredded 2% Kraft Sharp Cheddar, a mexican rice (brown if possible) and seasoned roasted veggies. I can't take credit...I think I saw it on the back of the cheese packet :wink: Looks yummy but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

edited for spelling ;)
  • 8turboturtle8
    8turboturtle8 Posts: 239 Member
    There's a salsa chicken recipe on here somewhere! Maybe you could have that and put some veggies and spices into brown rice to make it more like mexican rice?

Great minds!
  • CudyBug
    CudyBug Posts: 742 Member
    I found a spinach enchilada recipe on spark people that I thought was very yummy. Couldnt even taste the yucky spinach
  • hawaiibound
    hawaiibound Posts: 158
    I had a recipe years ago for a fiest corn chicken. but i can't seem to find it anywhere. does anyone know whats best for you whole wheat tortillas or corn tortillas?
  • Salsa Chicken
    Number of Servings: 6

Ingredients:
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 cup salsa
    1 package reduced sodium taco seasoning
    1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup (condensed)
    1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

Directions:
    Add chicken to slow cooker.
    Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken.
    Pour salsa and soup over chicken.
    Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
    Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
    Serve with rice.

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 6
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 157.2
    Total Fat: 3.3 g
    Cholesterol: 63.4 mg
    Sodium: 654.2 mg
    Total Carbs: 6.7 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.9 g
    Protein: 24.3 g

:wink:
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    i jsut posted up my recipe for chicken fajita lettuce wraps....which are SO GOOD....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/108079-so-good-i-thougtht-i-was-cheating

for the condiments you can do whatever....i'm on a low cal diet so i had to use fat free sour cream, but there is salsa or guacamole you can use also, and for the "i always have to complain about healthy food" family memebers you might have, corn tortillas for them is fine too.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    One of my favorite dishes that I make is what I like to call Fiesta Chicken over rice.

ingredients:
    chicken breast (4oz each breast)
    homemade salsa / pico de gallo
    8oz sour cream or greek yogurt mixed with a Hidden Valley Ranch Dip packet
    colby-jack cheese, shredded

So, I bake the chicken in the oven until it is cooked Then, I add the homemade salsa on top of the chicken, then a small dab of the ranch dip. Then, I top with shredded cheese. I cook this until the cheese melts and the chicken is done. (usually a few minutes). Then, I serve this over brown rice. I also add some limes wedges for individual's to season and add some kick.

Its great and super low calorie and HEALTHY, and I will usually serve with some corn or corn relish.

My husband loves it!
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    100% Whole Wheat is always the better choice. I don't think they taste bad at all. My husband doesn't really like them, though. Just read the label and watch for "enriched" or other naughty words like hugh fructose corn syrup, etc.
  • toyologist
    toyologist Posts: 2 Member
    http://themealplanner.blogspot.com/2009/07/nacho-ordinary-taco-salad-with-creamy.html

Originally from Eat Shrink and Be Merry , Na-cho Ordinary Salad - they are so funny. My husband and I had this for dinner last night and lunch today. Low cal and low fat. YUM!!!! Already listed under foods so easy to enter calories too which is so handy.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Heuvos rancheros!
    OMG yummy!
    Disclaimer - high in sodium. AND DO NOT LOOK AT THE REST OF THIS SITE. IT IS NOT DIET FOOD!
    But you can make these pretty low fat/low cal.
    http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/07/huevos-rancheros/
    Steph~
  • sorellabella
    sorellabella Posts: 133 Member
    Chicken tacos...I like to make a filling that includes the following:

chopped cucumber
    chopped avocado
    dill
    lime
    serrano pepper (optional-I use this a lot as I like spicy)
    salt and pepper to taste.

I heat up my tortilla fill with shredded chicken and my filling...yummy!
  • annecolorgreen
    annecolorgreen Posts: 116 Member
    I make the salsa-sour cream chicken in the crockpot and then cool slightly and use it to top salad...pretty amazing.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    I had a mexican casserole recipe that included ground beef but you could look up one using chicken.
  • Baloo
    Baloo Posts: 116 Member
    Sounds like a fun idea! Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.