Sheer tights HELP

Options
I've been rocking some really old nike and adidas tights for years. They've served me well, but it's time to retire them because they're starting to get holes/stretched out. So I just ordered two pair of nike running capris and tried them on and I'm irritated. The material is much thinner than my old ones, and they are definitely sheer when you look at the rear view. When I bend over, I might as well be wearing panty hose because you can totally see the outline of my underwear. When I bend my knee, you can see how sheer it is there too. What's odd is none of the reviews mentioned this (I specifically avoided the ones with bad reviews), so now I'm wondering if all Nike tights are just like this now? I could size up so they wouldn't stretch so much, but then they'd probably fall down when I did cardio and that drives me nuts.

What do you all do? Wear spanx or another pair of compression tights underneath? Go commando? Just rock them sheer and not worry about it? Are there other brands that are thicker/better? I'm bummed, because they're cute tights otherwise.

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I wear Nike capris for running, and don't seem to have the sheerness problem. But I wear them commando, thus no undies to see--the ones I wear have crotch liners, so obviously meant to be worn without panties. Never noticed any sheerness at the knees either, though.

In the winter I wear compression shorts under tights for extra warmth, or a running skirt over. Maybe one of those would help you, if it wouldn't be too hot.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Can you return?
    There is no way they should be sheer, it's a legit complaint.
    If you can't I'd wear shorts or a skirt over top.

My only tights so far have been lulu. Despite the recent headlines, I haven't had an issue and find them thick, flattering and supportive. I just bought a new pair of a different brand at Winners but haven't tried them out yet (can't remember brand).
  • take36
    take36 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I got a second opinion and was told they're not obscene LOL. I usually wear black boyshort undies when I work out and you can definitely see them when I squat or lift my leg up but it's not horrible. Right around the panty line and knee area is where the skin shows through when I really squat or bend, but I don't think they're too small. Probably if I went commando no one would notice. I'm going to check again tomorrow in the sunlight (am I nuts or do other women do this? I think I've seen too many photos of women caught from behind who had no idea their tights were sheer!).

I thought about getting some compression tights to wear under them but it's about to be summer and I know I'm not going to want to wear 2 layers.

And yes Lululemon sure has been in the headlines recently. I've never tried them before but I've been tempted in the past. I bought a pair of adidas techfit 3/4 tights recently in grey and they're not see-through so maybe I'll try a pair of their capris if I can find any.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    When you are being sized at Lulu, they tell you if they are that sheer it is possible they are too small... would this possibly be the issue? if not, I would return them becuase they shouldn't be so see-thru!

I personally haven't found anything that compares to Lulu (but honestly I haven't tried hard either),. The quality is good (despite recent headlines), they hug you perfectly in all the right places, and they stay up/put how they should. Nothing more sexy than running and hiking your pants up.

They have won me over despite the recent issue with that one batch of luon material.

Also, another thought would be Under Armour or Bench brands, both very nice. I love Bench too.
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm too young to understand the problem but.. why not just wear a thong?
  • take36
    Options
    LOL - yeah, no I agree. My main concern wasn't so much that the underwear was visible (easily remedied with a thong, as you say) but that my skin was visible too. I'm willing to wear a thong (or nothing) as long as my bare bum isn't on full display ;-)
  • take36
    Options
    When you are being sized at Lulu, they tell you if they are that sheer it is possible they are too small... would this possibly be the issue? if not, I would return them becuase they shouldn't be so see-thru!

I personally haven't found anything that compares to Lulu (but honestly I haven't tried hard either),. The quality is good (despite recent headlines), they hug you perfectly in all the right places, and they stay up/put how they should. Nothing more sexy than running and hiking your pants up.

They have won me over despite the recent issue with that one batch of luon material.

Also, another thought would be Under Armour or Bench brands, both very nice. I love Bench too.

Well I do wonder about sizing. My problem is that sometimes what fits when I'm just hanging out or walking my dog is too loose when I run or do other high impact workouts. So I'll sometimes size down so my tights won't fall down. I also find my tights loose their elasticity over time. So, I can fit in both sizes, but the larger is probably my "true" size and the smaller is the size I don't have to keep hiking up. Maybe I will try Lulu. People really do seem to love them. I was browsing Under Armour tonight - they do look a bit thicker. Haven't tried Bench - thanks for the recs!