How is this possible?

Options
I've lost so much weight, and I'm not done yet, but I'm absolutely hating the look of my body!! I have so much loose skin and I'm disgusted when I look in the mirror. I know it sounds vain, but it's true. Guess I might as well start saving for the nip/tuck/snip/suck surgeries now... :ohwell:

Replies

• MissNova
    MissNova Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I have the same fears but I believe that is why it is good to do cardio as well as weight training so you are able to lose and tone. There are several programs out there that you can try in order to get toned. Many do P90X or Insanity. Just take your time and be happy with the outcome of your actual weight loss.
  • LastFighter
    LastFighter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Add in some weights. You can lose more just doing straight cardio, but you will look better adding in weights I spend about 50/50 time wise between weights and cardio.
  • 4myheartnsoul
    Options
    keep drinking your water also, it helps your skin keep its elasticity.
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    It happens. Keep doing strength training to tone yourself up. As for surgeries your insurance may even cover it. Just have to come up with "rashes" from the excess skin. :)
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I'm in the same boat... hate my tummy, thighs and triceps. And I do both cardio and weights. It's so frustrating!
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I have been thin, I have been fat, I have been thin, and I got fat again ... due to some crazy illnesses and also because of extremely unhealthy eating habits. My skin is totally screwed up. I KNOW it will probably never be okay again.
    And you know what? At the moment I really don't care. All what matters to me is that I'm losing weight in a healthy way. I do something for my body and my future. Sure, looking into the mirror is hard. But I constantly tell myself that only I and my man get to see this. And he is perfectly okay with it (for whatever reason :embarassed: )
    I guess my opinion about this will change sooner or later. And maybe I will think of the surgery thing to get rid of all the lose skin. But why bother myself now about something that I can't change at the moment?
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Definately add some LIGHT weights (3 or 5lbs to start). I also added ankle weights back into my workout routines and in the last 2 weeks I have seen a HUGE difference! I even wore a pair of shorts that were mid-thigh last weekend and the "flabby knees" were not flabby! Since 2000 I've lost over 60 lbs, gained back 20, lost 10 & am working on my last 10 to get back to where I was 3 years ago. My skin has been stretched, loosened, stretched again and is now tightening and firming for the first time in my life! When you're trying to lose a lot of weight, especially for women, try doing more cardio and light toning (80/20 or 70/30 split), and then as you're getting closer to your goal, change to a more 50 cardio & 40 weight & once you hit your goal, up your weights for toning & firming and lighten the cardio. I currently do about a 70/30 split between weights & cardio. I also use a couple firming lotions, which while they are not magic overnight, I've seen the improvements over the last 6months (St, Ives Firming & Cellulite Control seem to work & they are low cost). Also add some stretching exercises, as this makes a HUGE difference (I like Tai Chi, but some like Yoga more).
    If you would like to know which DVD's I've been doing & whats been working, you're welcome to message me. I know this is the hardest, longest road to travel and sometimes it's bumps seem just like they want to stop you, but don't give up! You've come so far, don't look back, look forward & you can do this :flowerforyou:
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    So sorry that you are feeling this way after experiencing such success in your weight loss. No words of wisdom, but am sure you are not alone in this quandry and hopefully you will find a way to accept yourself while figuring out a way to resolve. Congratulations on your success!
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    When you were losing weight did you ever do any weight training or firming or toning, maybe that will help
  • anikoswett
    anikoswett Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Post-pregnancy, I see the same issue. But I keep reminding myself that it will take time...it took time to stretch, I have to give it time to reabsorb. At the end of the day, getting yourself healthy is most important! And once you've reached your goal and been there for a while, you can decide if it still important to get some nip/tuck done. But give your body some time first. It didn't stretch out over night, so it won't reabsorb/shrink overnight. Stay positive - you have achieved amazing things! Be proud of that strong person inside - who is kicking butt with those weight loss goals!
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    Thank you all! I have been exercising regularly. I have some muscle tone *underneath* the skin and fat, but there's so much skin. My tummy looks like I have an extra set of boobs when I bend over... Not cool! :embarassed: I may become best friends with spanx in the meantime while I continue to work out. I will be checking out the links posted and re-reading all responses for details. (I'm at work... shhhh). But I truly appreciate the words of encouragement and suggestions!! I :heart: my MFP family!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I have a few words for you................

Dry Brushing
    Coconut Oil to moisturize after the dry brushing technique.

Works wonders.
  • mooz
    mooz Posts: 101
    Options
    I worry about what my skin will look like too when I've lost weight. I've always been overweight/obese so my skin has been stretched for years. I'm hoping if there's a lot of extra skin that's causing issues that OHIP [govt plan] will pick up the tab :)
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    I worry about what my skin will look like too when I've lost weight. I've always been overweight/obese so my skin has been stretched for years. I'm hoping if there's a lot of extra skin that's causing issues that OHIP [govt plan] will pick up the tab :)

Have you ever seen anyone right after this surgery.. omg it was quite enough for me to change my mind on the issue.. YUCK!
  • pchristie
    pchristie Posts: 38
    Options
    I have the same problem. After having 5 children, even when I am at my goal weight, I have wrinkled, old looking skin. I went to a plastic surgeon to get a quote on a tummy tuck/breast lift. He quoted me around $10,000 for both procedures which could be done simultaneously. I definately don't have that kind of money, so I am just going to make sure I have good support bras and wear bathing suits that hide the wrinkles unless I win the lottery :) I also looked online at before and after pictures of people who have had a tummy tuck and/or breast lift. Some of the scars are pretty significant - so much so that I couldn't really say which looked worse, the loose skin or the scar. The tummy tuck procedure is pretty major as far as surgery goes. What I was told by the doctor I saw is that they cut you from hip to hip on your bikini line. They then pull the skin and fat down and cut if off. The also cut around your belly button because they have to cut you a new one. They then stitch your stomach muscles together making your waist smaller. If you have had children, being pregnant causes your muscles to come apart to allow room for the growing baby. Then they stitch your skin back together and put drains in to allow fluid to come out. The drains come out in about two weeks. You can't really do anything until the drains come out, and this surgery is quite painfull in the beginning, but I'm sure they give you pretty good pain killers. You don't see the full results for a couple of months.

It's a huge decision, so think carefully and make sure you have done everything you possibly can to tighten up that skin first. I have told myself that I need to first get to my goal weight again and be completely debt free before I consider it. They do have banks that give you loans specifically for plastic surgery if you have good credit. I go back and forth, but I feel like I definately need to earn it by first losing all my weight and then saving up. I hope this helps :)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    On one side you have a healthy body with baggy skin that can be covered while being toned. On the other hand you have an unhealthy body covered in fat that nothing will hide. Gee, think I will take the baggy skin! Try a visit to a dermatologist for some advice on how to encourage your skins elasticity. From what I understand, the reputable cosmetic surgeons make you wait a year after reaching goal weight before doing surgery anyway.

Great job on the loss!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Definitely lots of weight and resistance training. Take up yoga or pilates. I've heard that helps tighten the skin. :happy:
  • victorianjewel
    Options

Dry Brushing

Works wonders.

I'm curious, I've never heard of Dry Brushing. Could you please explain. Thank you:happy:
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options

Dry Brushing

Works wonders.

I'm curious, I've never heard of Dry Brushing. Could you please explain. Thank you:happy:

Me too, what is this?
    I think it is fantastic that you have lost so much weight and if you can try to get as much pleasure as possible out of your achievement you should.
    I find that what I see in the mirror is often distorted and I do not see myself objectively at all, in fact I often see my body of weeks or months ago...... and just get little glimpses of improvements, maybe I am just weird...... anyway I like to try to feel the differences rather than try to see them, 'popping' up the stairs to fetch something isnt a hassle, 'popping' down to the garden for lettuces etc isnt a hassle WHEREAS I would huff and puff just at the thought - gotta be good!!!!!