I overeat

Options
I almost had a good day today. I used to have huge snacks after class, but then I cut out snacking and switched to three meals a day. This structure was working better because I wasn't eating all day. Today I had my first two meals and didn't feel the urge to binge, but then dinner came. I started with a salad and then it snowballed out of control. Now I'm left feeling fat and defeated ): any tips for binging?

Replies

• innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Sipping on water throughout the day, get at least 8 glasses, although I recommend 10-12.
    Eating filling snacks like peanut butter and apples or celery and peanut butter, even just pretzels should help (but drink water!! because they're salty)
    Eat 5-6 smaller meals a day, 200-300 meals and 100-150 calorie snacks
    When you're bored, work out instead of eat
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    If you can't eat just a serving of cookies-don't buy them! Have more fruit for dessert or plain Greek yoghurt with berries.
    You did fine except for those cookies. Drink more water or have some tea. Sometimes brushing your teeth after dinner helps.
    Don't beat yourself up about it-just keep going, you'll get the hang of it.
  • bizzyeck
    bizzyeck Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Many years ago I learned a trick from someone at WW..
    When she wanted to stop eating she popped 2 or 3 of the tiny Sugar-free Altoid Mints.
    This does work. They are strong enough in taste that you don't really want to eat choc chip cookies with them.
    Wonder why I stopped doing this myself???
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Were you particularly hungry by the time your third meal came around? Personally if I am too hungry I tend to over do it.
  • misslirpa
    misslirpa Posts: 1
    Options
    I also have an issue with binge eating. I generally do great all day long and then the evening comes and I sit at the computer or tv and just want to eat eat eat. I get bored I guess. I would love to have friends who have similar issues to help work towards overcoming this.
  • kfitz85
    kfitz85 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I know where you're coming from. People used to suggest eating many small meals throughout the day to keep your metabolism going faster. That doesn't work for me. There would be days where I could eat 6000+ calories of healthy food and not be satisfied.

Try intermittent fasting. Go 16+ hours each day without eating. Just drink water and zero calorie drinks. Do some interval training during the last hour, then eat all your calories during the next 8 hours.

Your body goes into fasting mode for those 16 hours, going to your fat stores for energy. During the 8 hours that you eat, your body is in recovery mode, so far less of those calories are stored as fat.

Do this 6 days a week, for no more than a few weeks in a row. I do it for 2-4 weeks at a time and then go back to regular diet for a few months. It helps prevent me from overeating.
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Are you aware enough during your binge of what you are doing? I ask, because sometimes if I can stop myself even for a minute, I can ask myself why am I binging? Am I physically hungry, or am I trying to fill some other void (stress, loneliness, boredom, etc.) If the answer is just hunger, then I can force myself to slow down. If the answer is something else, then hopefully I can figure something else out that I can do besides binging. It's not an easy thing to do. It takes lots of practice, but it might help.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Strength doesn't come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn't.

drink (lots) water, exercise often, eat more veg

good on you wanting to change your lifestyle to a better one:smile:

"If you did have a million-dollar racehorse, would you let him stay up half the night drinking coffee and booze, smoking cigarettes and eating junk food?" "Would you treat your 10-dollar dog or your 5-dollar cat that way? What about your billion-dollar body?"

anyone can add me
  • Jlan11
    Jlan11 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I just read in women's health magazine that 60 seconds of jumping up and down curbs your appetite. It's worth a try! I also tend to overeat at night because I am tired, so after dinner I brush my teeth. Binging is not very appealing with fresh minty breath. Whatever you do, do not give up! In time you will make better choices and if you stick it out, you will succeed!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Sorry that was not a binge. You were getting the calories that you didn't have for breakfast and lunch. You went over by a minuscule amount especially if you look at in from the perspective of what you will eat in the course of a week, calories usually balance out over a weeks time.

Personally, I don't do cookies. So that those just wouldn't have been in my meal. But, I don't see a problem with having a few. Yeah 9 might be too many. But, then you would have to replace those calories with something else to get up to your calorie goal or be in a fairly big deficit. Honestly if you stopped at 8 I think you would have been at goal so it's no big. Maybe tomorrow to make up for that tiny amount you went over you could walk an extra block then the problem is solved.

Now as for a real binge. I find it is almost impossible to binge on veggies, I mean you can, but I have yet to go over on my calorie allowance cuz I ate to many veggies. Fruit on the other hand has put me over on occasion. So, if you do find yourself being prone to high calorie binges you can switch up what you binge on so that it meets your macros and won't put you in the red calorie wise.
  • Code7526
    Code7526 Posts: 52
    Options
    If you want to binge, binge on hard boiled eggs. I have eaten 7 boiled eggs for lunch once, it is still better than overeating on junk food, sugar or white flour.