Quick Lunch Ideas?

Options
Hello everyone. I'm starting an internship in a little over a week, and I'm looking to pack lunches to take with me (so I don't have to fight traffic to eat out, or go hungry for 8 hours). I've found a few "main" parts for lunches through Google searches, but I'd like to have a good list of things to choose from. Now, here's where it's become difficult. I'm not a big fan of eggs, fish (except tuna), or beans (except green beans). It seems like these are staples of healthy eating, which means I have to pick through a lot of recipes/ideas to find anything that might work. In addition, I'd like to have something that I'm not always going to have to reheat.

I've purchased some plastic lunch containers that are separated off Amazon along with some Bell portable drink jars (for smoothies). The large section fits a regular sandwich, with two smaller sections for "sides". They aren't leak proof, so I'd like to avoid soups (though I do have a thermos, so I can use that as well).

So, if you have lunch recipes/ideas or smoothie ideas, I'd love to hear them so I can add to my lunch box recipes. :smile:

Replies

• RUNNINxRIOT
    RUNNINxRIOT Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hummus with celery is probably the quickest thing to do. It's fairly inexpensive and it's very healthy. Although it involves beans technically, it doesn't really taste like beans... Add some dill and it's like the best tasting thing you'll eat.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Turkey with baby spinach, strips of string cheese & Dijon mustard rolled up! Yum! Lots of protein = delicious & filling! ????

Chicken salad (made with canned or fresh baked/boiled chicken, light mayo or plain Greek yogurt, Dijon or yellow mustard and dill relish) served with celery sticks. Yum!

Baby carrots and homemade ranch made with a low sodium organic seasoning packet mixed with plain Greek yogurt! Yay!

Flavored Greek yogurts, string cheese, beef jerky, edamame, nuts, fruit or dried fruit...
  • codere77
    codere77 Posts: 3
    Options
    Snake raps, Chicken raps, trail mixes lol
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    salad is the easiest. lay out some greens and then toss whatever you like on top of it. so long as you put the dressing and tomatoes (or anything watery) on the side it holds. for proteins just add cheese (feta, any type of shredded, parmesean), cold chicken/ turkey/ pork, edemame or garbanzo beans (not sure if either of these work for you but they are pretty yummy), or hard boiled egg and and then any type of veggie/ fruit/ nut your heart desires. If you like a roll or extra toppings take them along as well.
  • MummyMikaela
    MummyMikaela Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I take home made pot noodles they are fresh and filling! All you need is a kettle!

Recipe is here - http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/hot-sweet-and-sour-vegetables-instant-noodles-recipe

Mine ;
    IMAG0466.jpg
  • DoubleClick88
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the ideas. I found a couple of salads that sound absolutely delish, and even if I end up not liking the salad itself, most of the elements I can use elsewhere. Wraps definitely sound like they're going to be a good staple as well (a friend has chicken salad sandwiches that always are divine), and I can cut them into "mini rolls" so I'm not fighting a huge wrap all the time.

I'm excited to get back into making my own meals and trying new things (cooking is definitely one of my passions). My poor kitchen is going to have to be reorganized slightly.
  • DoubleClick88
    Options
    If you opt for wraps, a good idea is to put the contents into your separated dish and then roll or fold up the tortilla in some saran wrap (cling film for the Brits). That way it doesn't get soggy and you assemble just before you eat. :)

Thanks for the tip. :)