How many grams of Sugar?

Options
I am living a plant based lifestyle. The goal that MFP has set for grams of sugar that I intake daily is 24 grams. I am 5'4" 115 pounds and wanting to eat sustainably so that I can get in better shape. Eating fruits during my day makes my sugar intake out of control, however, I hardly include any refined sugars in my diet (I am not a real vegan because I still consume local honey) I just want to know what a reasonable goal is for my sugar intake so that I can try to stay within the guidelines due to the fact that I have a history of diabetes in my family. Thank you for your input. Take care!

Replies

• whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I will be watching this thread with interest as well. I do a lot of fruits and veggies and very little refined sugar, but am over in sugar every day
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    Options
    I have been on MFP 4 months, and if I understand the different posts I have read on the "SUGAR" subject correctly then my understanding is that as long as you do not go over 25 g. in REFINED sugar your good....
    IF that made any sense....:) another words my daily sugar is usually around 40 to 45 , BUT 20 to 30 of it is from fruits, grains, etc...the rest is stuff like dark chocolate, seasonings, dressings, yogurt<<<which I do not consider natural:)....that kind of stuff I keep under 25.....
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    that helps. thanks
  • dreambodin2011
    dreambodin2011 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    why not take a look at Sarah Wilson's new book I Quit Sugar - (you don't have to btw) - she says we are designed to eat/tolerate about 5-9 teaspoons of sugar a day.

20grams = 5 teaspoons.

I hope this helps. check her site out.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored. As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings. If this isn't the case for you there's no need to limit sugar.

For information on setting your macro target, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336
  • leotardbanshee
    leotardbanshee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The hardest part for me to wrap my mind around is that an apple has 16 grams of sugar, and I'm sure that no has been diagnosed with diabetes or gotten fat from eating a moderate serving of fruit daily. so 20 grams, when i'm eating all of these plant based sugars seems too extreme.
  • annmarie1764
    Options
    I also am over on sugar every day and do not eat much refined sugars. I don't add sugar to anything and when i want to sweeten something like iced tea for instance i use organic stevia. I am relieved to see others here having similar issues. I feel like i eat a small apple and 1/2 a grapefruit and that's most of my target sugar grams for the day according to mfp. It was a little depressing, but i am usually always under my calorie goal and am still losing weight. I have been over on my protein and fats as well but still continue to lose so i am focousing more on calories. I think as long as you don't go crazy with the other stuff it's all good.
  • Code7526
    Code7526 Posts: 52
    Options
    Cut out refined sugar all together and don't eat anything with refined sugar in it. There is nothing good about refined sugar.

Eat fruit if you want something sweet.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, wether its refined or unrefined. Obviously, one is natural but your liver can't tell the difference. I try to stay within my goal and rarely go over but I do exercise 6 days a week