lost my period?

Hey everyone,

For the last two months my period hasn't come around and even the last couple of months before that it has been extremely light and I'm worried since this has only really occurred since I started being very diligent about what I eat. On average I eat around 1300 calories a day, more if I exercise. I'm about 132 pounds and 5'5 (so I'm defiantly not underweight) and generally eat a balanced diet. I also know that I'm not pregnant.

Is this just my body adjusting to my weight loss? I used to be 150 pounds.

Replies

• joannaleasa
    joannaleasa Posts: 25 Member
    are you exercising quite hard as i found when i do mine is lighter and then with sedentary living its very heavy, def a correlation between working out and lighter ones
  • glitterstreet
    glitterstreet Posts: 144
    I exercise on average about 5-6 times a week, for about 70 minutes with a mix of cardio and strength..but I don't understand how that would stop my period altogether? Thanks though.
  • I'd start by making sure that you weren't pregnant/ there was no possibility you can be pregnant; but changing your diet/exercise regimen can definitely cause you to stop getting your period. For example, when I was in basic training I didn't get my period for a couple months due to stress, exercise & new eating habits. If you continue not to get it go to the doctors and get checked out, but I'm pretty sure your body just needs to catch up to the new adjustments!
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
    For the last two months my period hasn't come around and even the last couple of months before that it has been extremely light and I'm worried since this has only really occurred since I started being very diligent about what I eat. On average I eat around 1300 calories a day, more if I exercise. I'm about 132 pounds and 5'5 (so I'm defiantly not underweight) and generally eat a balanced diet. I also know that I'm not pregnant. Is this just my body adjusting to my weight loss? I used to be 150 pounds.

There could be a few things.
    1) pregnancy
    2) stress (had that happen to me twice).
    3) I've heard that athletic training could affect the cycle.

You've lost 20 pounds (good for you!). Your body might be adjusting; however, you might want to check with your doctor, just to rule out anything very serious.
  • YolieCreator
    YolieCreator Posts: 173 Member
    Changing your eating habits and work out routine can throw off your period. A lot of athletes don't even get them, but your best bet would be to get a check up. Make sure something else isn't going on.
  • Ask your doctor to be safe. There are a bunch of things that could affect your period - stress, health problems, exercise, etc. At the least verify it isn't a health problem.
  • tenintwenty
    tenintwenty Posts: 92
    Exercise has never stopped my period. Low body fat ( like less than 12%) can stop your period. So can any kind of stress. You calories seem pretty low, so that's probably it. You should think of upping them in stages now since you're probably close to your goal and you're eating at a higher than recommended deficit.
  • glitterstreet
    Thanks everyone, I'll defiantly go see my doctor! I've never been irregular so this is very unusual..
  • Modern_athena
    Modern_athena Posts: 81 Member
    2 possible explanations: Either you're pregnant or you need to up your fat intake. The body's production of steroid hormones, including sex hormones like estrogen and testosterone, requires saturated fat. Also, cut down on fiber because it can wash out the estrogen that is needed to regulate your cycle.
  • glitterstreet
    Would eating avocado be a good way to increase my fat intake?
  • Modern_athena
    Modern_athena Posts: 81 Member
    Would eating avocado be a good way to increase my fat intake?

Definitely! Just avoid trans fats.