A Review of Bob Harper's Newest Plan: Jumpstart to Skinny

Options
I've seen a number of opinions expressed regarding "Jumpstart to Skinny"... but haven't come across any coming from someone who read the book as I did. And now that I'm a week into it, I have some additional opinions.

First of all, don't let the title "skinny" throw you... he's not advocating that weak, emancipated look. He's just using a title that is what will get people to notice the book. It is a playful version, the way some girlfriends talk to each other. If that makes sense. He is advocating health.

What made him decide to write it is to provide a more healthy quick weight loss for a particular event that some people are going to try out of desperation... instead of the cabbage soup or other extreme cleanse diets. His method is indeed very strict but your body gets the nutrients it needs. It is not designed at all to be sustained for more than 3 weeks. There is ZERO eating out or even going to a friend's for dinner. So another reason this is just a short term alternative to say that maple syrup and cayenne pepper cleanse some embark upon.

Everyone has been buzzing about his 800 calories per day plan. Two points: 1) This meal plan is based on "super-foods", so each calorie is so nutritionally dense. It includes protein at every meal as well as lots of fiber and the "good fat" (like olive oil and avocado); 2) If one is hungry between meals, there is a long list of vegetables you can eat until full. So not really 800 calories, doubtful you'd make it over 1200 though with just his list of veggies but you won't go hungry!

Now for some, his meal plan may be as appetizing as the cabbage soup diet... but I have found most of them both tasty and satisfying. A few I added to my own personal recipe collection as I liked them so much. Another thing is you can substitute any meal. For example, I really like the "Pizza Toast" but the "Peanut Butter and Jelly Oatmeal with Egg White Scramble" didn't sound so good. Plus, it required a jar of almond butter that I just didn't see the point in buying, so I repeated what I knew I liked plus had the ingredients on hand.

I found myself getting sick of the salads for lunch so since I work from a home office, I repeated one of the dinners I really liked. So it is flexible that way.

Now, there some folks that I don't think would enjoy or benefit from this plan. I'd skip if:
1. You don't have the time to prepare 3 meals per day. More if you have a family that you need to prepare their meals too. (I have found that I can adapt some of them... like serve their turkey patty on buns and include sweet potato fries for them).
2. Eliminating for 3 weeks alcohol, cow's milk/cream, beef, processed grains after breakfast (and the ones on his plan are high fiber) and sugar is going to make you feel so deprived you will binge.
3. Don't like green vegetables. One meal had 1 cup each of broccoli, cauliflower, shredded cabbage then 4 cups of chopped spinach and a head of chopped bok choy!
4. Can't drink 2 glasses of water upon rising, then two prior to each meal.
5. Can't stand fish oil supplements.
6. Unable to commit to a 30-45 minute stroll before breakfast EVERY day.
7. Can't do his 20 minute "Jumpstart Moves" 5x per week. Note, because I'm recovering from an injury, I can't do them all but I did show to a trainer at gym and he gave me an alternative set to replace as needed.

But if those aren't deal breakers, I can report that I've lost 5 pounds but even more importantly, I feel great a week into it. My skin looks so much better and I lost the bloat.

Hope this helps others debating if they want to try it. My plan is when I get through it, I try is his long term lifestyle change plan called "Skinny Rules". I am doing this plan truly as a "jumpstart" after my weight loss got sidelined for my injury for two months. I'm motivated and want to see some results!!!

Replies

• LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the review. :)
  • samacooper
    samacooper Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your overview; I am getting married in a month and decided I want to give this plan a try. I only plan to lose 10-15 pounds, so I haven't decided how closely I'm going to follow the plan, even though he is adamant about following it like a doctor's prescription. But his recipes seem pretty straightforward and tasty-- though I doubt I can even eat that much salad in one sitting...one recipe calls for six cups of mixed greens?! I'll probably be cutting back on that a bit...
  • pure_of_heart
    pure_of_heart Posts: 32 Member
    Options

First of all, don't let the title "skinny" throw you... he's not advocating that weak, emancipated look.

What edzachary do emancipated people look like?

Great catch: emaciated
  • AnderMama88
    AnderMama88 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Good info! Thanks
  • nika2darling
    nika2darling Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first week of this diet too, and I can say that it is definitely filling. I've been tracking my calories here and there just to get a good gauge on how much I am actually eating with all the free veggies listed. My intake has always been over 800, but less than 1000. I am not doing his workout plan because I am in the middle of Tapout XT. I had 2 days of fatigue trying to keep up with the rigors of Tapout while on this diet, but I simply added a small portion of fruit mid-afternoon, and my energy levels have been fine. Several of the recipes will be making their rotation in my diet after the 3 weeks. It requires quite a bit of pre-planning and prep for the food, and it's a challenge finding room for all the vegetables in the fridge, but I think it's great training for how I want to be eating post-diet. Overall, I've really been enjoying it. I don't have a set amount of weight I want to lose; I'm just trying to unfluff a bit before summer hits. It looks like this wil do the job.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    So he used the word "skinny" to attract certain people... well using that in a title will guarantee that I will never check it out. Maybe "Jumpstart to Health" would have been a better option? No, too boring; not eye-catching enough.

The only way the societal hyper focus on appearance (inc "skinny") will ever stop is if each and every one of us stop taking part in it.
  • ngonz75
    ngonz75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have read the book and can't wait to get started. Taking this weekend to buy the food and prep for the week. Is there a printable grocery list for the 3 weeks?
  • ngonz75
    ngonz75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Is there a printable shopping list on line for the three weeks?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what happens after you have restricted yourself for three weeks on this fairy tale diet...you gorge in week four and gain all the weight back...

Look people there is no diet or super food or whatever that is going to get you in shape. Eat in a deficit and exercise and the weight will come off....It did not take three weeks to get out of shape, and you can't get back in shape after three weeks either...

I am coming out with a book titled "IThe Unicorn and Fairy thee week diet" look for it on amazon.com soon...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Thanks for your overview; I am getting married in a month and decided I want to give this plan a try. I only plan to lose 10-15 pounds, so I haven't decided how closely I'm going to follow the plan, even though he is adamant about following it like a doctor's prescription. But his recipes seem pretty straightforward and tasty-- though I doubt I can even eat that much salad in one sitting...one recipe calls for six cups of mixed greens?! I'll probably be cutting back on that a bit...

Just eat 700 less calories then you take in and you will lose one pound a week.....

you don't need some magic diet..
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    No thanks! No desire to be skinny. I'm into fitness and health. I couldn't work, let alone workout, on that starvation-level calorie restriction.
  • samacooper
    samacooper Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice, but this is not "some magic diet", it is a strict plan to lose a maximum amount of weight in as healthy a manner as possible. Following this plan will keep me from being hungry all the time, which I would be if I didn't have the direction to eat such a high amount of protein and vegetables instead of complex carbs. Maybe some people can plan all that on their own, but i'm willing to pay $13 for a meal plan that is high in lean protein, healthy carbs, etc. so I am not stressed out trying to figure out what I can eat.

When the plan is over, yes, there is the potential to just "go nuts" and eat back all the weight lost, but that can happen coming off of any diet plan. Bob Harper of course suggests transitioning to his Skinny rules", and I'm sure if I did that, there would be little to no regain after the jumpstart. I am going to follow the jumpstart, attempt to keep eating the same kinds of foods, just more calories once the plan is over. I hope you will check in with me and see that it is not as ridiculous and "certain to fail" as you make it seem.
  • jmarie104
    jmarie104 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I just downloaded the book, going to do it. Will report results. :)
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    there is no way you're getting 'lots of healthy fats like avocado and olive oil' on only 800-`1200 calories a day.

why go through this at all if it's so simple to lose weight in a sustainable, healthy way?
    1.slight calorie deficit with 100g protein or more/day, and 2. strength training- both to maintain muscle as you lose weight

the rest is up to each person's needs. we need some healthy fats, but some may do better with 20g/day, others can do just fine on 70g/day. some people need to lower their carbs, some of us don't. adjust your macros to work for you.

do the exercise you enjoy,
    lift 2-3x a week, or do body weight exercises.

that's really it. it doesn't have to be complicated.
    or expensive
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Sounds bloody awful. 800 calories of food, no matter how "super", isn't enough for anyone. And of course he's going to tell you to exercise on top of that ridiculous diet as well, right?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Thanks for your advice, but this is not "some magic diet", it is a strict plan to lose a maximum amount of weight in as healthy a manner as possible. Following this plan will keep me from being hungry all the time, which I would be if I didn't have the direction to eat such a high amount of protein and vegetables instead of complex carbs. Maybe some people can plan all that on their own, but i'm willing to pay $13 for a meal plan that is high in lean protein, healthy carbs, etc. so I am not stressed out trying to figure out what I can eat.

When the plan is over, yes, there is the potential to just "go nuts" and eat back all the weight lost, but that can happen coming off of any diet plan. Bob Harper of course suggests transitioning to his Skinny rules", and I'm sure if I did that, there would be little to no regain after the jumpstart. I am going to follow the jumpstart, attempt to keep eating the same kinds of foods, just more calories once the plan is over. I hope you will check in with me and see that it is not as ridiculous and "certain to fail" as you make it seem.

you do realize that you can build your own meal plan that is high in lean protein and vegetable for free, right? I mean just read the lables and log what you eat..that is what MFP is for ...

I have dropped about 50 pounds and gone from 20% plus body fat to about 12% body fat with steady 500 cal deficit and strength training and the only thing it cost me was a gym membership...

I never said it was "certain fail", I simply said what happens after you have so severely restricted yourself that at the end of this "diet" you gorge yourself on 2500 cals a day ..I mean are you really going to eat 800 calories a day for the rest of your life? The answer is more than likely no, which means that after this diet you will increase your calorie intake, and hence, increase your weight...

You are just being sold a bill of BS in my option and you could save yourself some money and just do what everyone else does..eat in a deficit...
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options

you do realize that you can build your own meal plan that is high in lean protein and vegetable for free, right? I mean just read the lables and log what you eat..that is what MFP is for ...

I have dropped about 50 pounds and gone from 20% plus body fat to about 12% body fat with steady 500 cal deficit and strength training and the only thing it cost me was a gym membership...

I never said it was "certain fail", I simply said what happens after you have so severely restricted yourself that at the end of this "diet" you gorge yourself on 2500 cals a day ..I mean are you really going to eat 800 calories a day for the rest of your life? The answer is more than likely no, which means that after this diet you will increase your calorie intake, and hence, increase your weight...

You are just being sold a bill of BS in my option and you could save yourself some money and just do what everyone else does..eat in a deficit...

yes, she said from the beginning the book says its for 3 weeks or less. anyone doing this is looking for a quick fix.
    but when it results in you gaining more than you had before, or messing up your metabolism, or even setting up behaviors for ED,it isn't a quick fix it's a recipe for disaster.

cups and cups of greens for salad? really? this is where people get the absurd idea that if i'm losing weight i have to eat salad.
    well what if you're not in to mood for salad, don't like that kind of veggies, or just don't feel like paying $4 for a bag of leaves that will go bad in 2 days? (buy the whole head it lasts longer)

I hardly ever eat salad, there are plenty of healthy foods out there, we don't have to just HAVE SALAD.
    there's nothing wrong with salad, i just hate the idea someone is getting it in your head,
    all you can have to fill you up is leaves if you're hungry. there is a whole world of yummy tasty foods
    other than the typical what usually is called a 'salad'.

this whole list of foods we can and cant' have is just pointless.
    we don't need endless menu plans.

eat mostly plants
    plenty of protein
    not too much food.
    exercise.
    the end.
  • pure_of_heart
    Options
    So he used the word "skinny" to attract certain people... well using that in a title will guarantee that I will never check it out. Maybe "Jumpstart to Health" would have been a better option? No, too boring; not eye-catching enough.

The only way the societal hyper focus on appearance (inc "skinny") will ever stop is if each and every one of us stop taking part in it.

He wasn't targeting you. He is trying to change the way people use the word "skinny" IMHO.
  • pure_of_heart
    Options

I agree but I am a bit of a foodie. His book has a wealth of recipes that aren't just low in calorie but very simple and DELICIOUS. So worth the $12 bucks in what I get in flavor and time saved.

This is NOT a program for everyone at all. Which is why I shared the review so those who it wouldn't benefit can save their money.

But those with my goals, challenges and lifestyle... it is worth it.
  • pure_of_heart
    Options
    this whole list of foods we can and cant' have is just pointless.
    we don't need endless menu plans.

eat mostly plants
    plenty of protein
    not too much food.
    exercise.
    the end.

The list above is EXACTLY his recommendation. His book just gives you the science behind that (for those who like that) as well as some tasty new recipes that are organized in a way that ultimately save you time as prep work can be done in advance.

If you already believe this... then either have a bunch of recipes you enjoy or fine with bland food... don't bother with the book.