What do you normally do after a......

Options
Midnight binge? Last night I had a ton of lentils, some cheese and fried stuff. The worst part is I don't even feel so heavy today, I kind of feel hungry. Should I count those as today's calories and reduce what I eat today? I'm working hard and don't want to screw up my workouts.

And will anyone be willing to support me in giving up midnight eating? I hate how it makes me feel the next day. Any help is welcome!

Replies

• SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    After I am done logging my calories for the day, if I eat more log that onto the next days calories, then adjust my exercise to cover them and cut a few calories out from my calorie allowance. But, that is only if I am in danger of going over goal, if I can fit it in without all that then I just do that, eat and exercise normally.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I count it as the same day until I go to bed, but that's just me.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I would take it as a learning experience and add it to the previous day. I wouldn't try and make up for it... this is a process that takes trial and error. It takes learning from our behavior and adjusting to find what is going to work for us forever.

If you try and reduce your calories for the day after, you're setting yourself up for another binge. Here are some things I have learned:

I am likely to binge if my calorie goal is too low. That is unsustainable.
    I am likely to crave sugar if I am dehydrated. I don't drink enough water.
    I am likely to get mood swings if I eat too many carbs and not enough protein.
    I feel way more satisfied if I get in about 120g or more of protein daily.
    If I save up calories for night time snacking I will eat them and then some.
    If I eat more early in the day I don't feel the need to snack at night... maybe just a hot chocolate or a glass of wine

Just a few of my own observations; they may not apply to you...
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    @mrsbigmack: I'm trying most of these things. I drink a fair amount of water, but I'm scared about the protein. I weight train 3 times a week and being a pear, I'm afraid I'll build muscle if I eat too much protein. So I end up eating very little protein, and end up feeling hungry at night. It's mostly salty food(like lentil soup/cheese/vegetable stews)- I'm not a big fan of sweets.
  • michellekicks
    Options
    @mrsbigmack: I'm trying most of these things. I drink a fair amount of water, but I'm scared about the protein. I weight train 3 times a week and being a pear, I'm afraid I'll build muscle if I eat too much protein. So I end up eating very little protein, and end up feeling hungry at night. It's mostly salty food(like lentil soup/cheese/vegetable stews)- I'm not a big fan of sweets.

You won't build any appreciable muscle mass while eating at a deficit... even with lots of protein. In order to build significant muscle tissue, you have to eat at a surplus. The protein will help you balance your cravings and moods. It will also help you retain muscle mass while you diet.

Protein and fiber... and real fat. Check how much fat you're getting in your diet. You should aim for 25-30% from healthy fats. They help you feel full longer too. And choose the highest fiber options whenever possible.

Combining protein, fat and fiber at every time you eat can also be a great way to stay satisfied.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    the words too much and lentils don't go together, and yes, exactly what the above poster said.
    so eat the protein to keep your muscle as you lose fat..
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are on too few calories if you are still so hungry you have to get up in the middle of the night. How many calories are you netting?
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Look up the book: IT STARTS WITH FOOD.

I midnight binged for years. As of April 1st, I have been binge free. The book explain in great detail why you are doing it :) good luck.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are on too few calories if you are still so hungry you have to get up in the middle of the night. How many calories are you netting?

This. If you calculate your total daily energy expenditure (tdee), then subtract about 20%, that should give you a proper deficit. If you include your exercise in the tdee, don't eat back exercise calories because it's already factored in. If you only include regular activity, then eat back your exercise calories so you don't create too great a deficit. If you eat too little, you will eventually binge. Try to get more protein in. 1% cottage cheese has 16g per serving, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds have more protein than most nuts. Lentils and quinoa are the most protein rich grains. Lean meats like chicken and fish are obvious sources, as well.
  • boxsox2
    boxsox2 Posts: 9
    Options
    I've been prone to middle of the night eating - I even made a mfp meal called '2am'. I usually count it in the morning after, that way you have a chance to make up for it during the day by taking an extra walk or something. Speaking of middile of the night eating .... One thing I found out thru a recent dr's visit is that my middle of night snacking was actually a symptom of depression. who knew?! So she gave me some pills (I HATE taking meds but sometimes we have to admit we need some extra help - all that science must be good for something...) and after a few weeks I stopped snackiing at night. and also slept through the night which is pretty freakin awesome.
    I'm not saying its the case with you, but thought I'd throw it out here in case anyone else finds themselves waking up to have a snack - please talk to your doctor or a counsler about it. I was totally suprised by the diagnosis but have done some research and now I'm passing the message - might help others. I just thought I was hungry, turns out I was screwed up in the head instead. go figure.
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I've been prone to middle of the night eating - I even made a mfp meal called '2am'. I usually count it in the morning after, that way you have a chance to make up for it during the day by taking an extra walk or something. Speaking of middile of the night eating .... One thing I found out thru a recent dr's visit is that my middle of night snacking was actually a symptom of depression. who knew?! So she gave me some pills (I HATE taking meds but sometimes we have to admit we need some extra help - all that science must be good for something...) and after a few weeks I stopped snackiing at night. and also slept through the night which is pretty freakin awesome.
    I'm not saying its the case with you, but thought I'd throw it out here in case anyone else finds themselves waking up to have a snack - please talk to your doctor or a counsler about it. I was totally suprised by the diagnosis but have done some research and now I'm passing the message - might help others. I just thought I was hungry, turns out I was screwed up in the head instead. go figure.

Well I was considering meds too, actually. Though I'm good on the days I exercise and eat lesser during the nights, rest days like yesterday, when I'm tired and crazy in the head I just eat whatever I see.
    I'm not sure it's depression though, more of an unconscious habit that makes it all the more difficult to quit.
    Thanks for the inputs and help!
  • michellekicks
    Options
    Being tired is another reason I will want to binge at night... really it's your body's way of telling you you haven't enough energy to keep going.

Try and commit to just going to bed... change up your nighttime routine so you're not tempted to stay up to that point of fatigue.