No motivation. Feeling really down about myself.

Options
This seems to happen to me every time, and I hate it. I start off so good, and then everything just fizzles out. I HATE it! I wanted to be bikini ready for summer, but it's beginning to look like that just wont happen... :(

I've been dealing with a lot of things and...I don't know? I'm always so unmotivated, and down on myself. I've been battling depression for as long as I can remember. I'm always feeling down about myself, always tired, etc. I can't look in a mirror without wanting to cry. I hate myself. Simple as that. Hate the way I look, everything. I hate everything about me. I feel like I'm never good enough for anything, and I give up on all my goals. I'll start off so good, and something will set me off, and it's like I eat because I feel bad(eat bad/junk food), and then I feel guilty for eating, and it's just a never ending viscous cycle.

I've got nobody to really talk to about the way I'm feeling, and what I'm going through. I keep bottling everything up inside, and hiding behind a smile.

How does one stay motivated with all these feelings swarming around? I don't know what to do...

:frown:

Replies

• Beavergong
    Beavergong Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bella
    Really sorry you are so down. You have lost weight maybe you should visualize how much you have lost by putting it in a grocery bag and lifting it.
    I recently did a seminar on Positive Psychology for U3A it says find something positive in your life, something you feel good about and works and see if you can extend that to other parts of your life.
    It's just my suggestion I am not a professional in this field but I extend my positive thoughts to you.its a beautiful day maybe a walk in the sunshine might help?
    Chris
  • joyjay4fun
    joyjay4fun Posts: 160
    Options
    I am sorry you feel so down, have you seen a doctor at all for help with how you are feeling? You can always come on here and talk to people for motivation. Youve got a support network here even if you dont seem to have that outside of here. :-)
  • qwertyem564
    qwertyem564 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you feel bad. Whenever I feel not motivated or horrible, I always listen to music. I guess it helps because I am auditioning for a musical this summer, so I want to be in shape for that. It makes me forget that I ever wanted to eat junk food or anything in the first place.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I do hope you have some medical help for your depression. It pains me to read your comments.
    If you've spent years like this, getting yourself out will take some time and mental energy.
    For me, it took awhile to teach myself to be kind to myself. First I had to learn to hear myself talking bad about me, and then I had to learn to stop myself from doing that. Over and over. Some days were better than others. I taught myself ways to calm down, relax my mind, turn my mind to something positive. One "lesson" I still do every night is count my blessings, the good things in my life, even the simple things. Sounds silly and corny, but focusing on the good in my life helped turn my mind from the negative stuff.
    Do please find some professional help. It's out there.
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    OMGloob, you sound just like me! Right now I'm really going through it and what I find that helps me is to realize that's it never too late to turn things around for the better. Even if you're not close to your goal, or you messed up, it's alright. It's always okay to begin fresh. All you can do is leave the past behind because you can't change it. The present is what's in your hands.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I hate to break it to you but that's life.

Everyone on here is dealing with things and everyone on here feels down and unmotivated from time to time.

The truth is you just have push through it. Motivation is nice but it's not a necessity.
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    This seems to happen to me every time, and I hate it. I start off so good, and then everything just fizzles out. I HATE it! I wanted to be bikini ready for summer, but it's beginning to look like that just wont happen... :(

I've been dealing with a lot of things and...I don't know? I'm always so unmotivated, and down on myself. I've been battling depression for as long as I can remember. I'm always feeling down about myself, always tired, etc. I can't look in a mirror without wanting to cry. I hate myself. Simple as that. Hate the way I look, everything. I hate everything about me. I feel like I'm never good enough for anything, and I give up on all my goals. I'll start off so good, and something will set me off, and it's like I eat because I feel bad(eat bad/junk food), and then I feel guilty for eating, and it's just a never ending viscous cycle.

I've got nobody to really talk to about the way I'm feeling, and what I'm going through. I keep bottling everything up inside, and hiding behind a smile.

How does one stay motivated with all these feelings swarming around? I don't know what to do...

:frown:

I visualize a skinny me! I'm sorry your down I know how you feel me and you actually have similar goals don't give up you can do it I know you can! I suffered and still suffer with depression amongst other disorder I know the feeling before this journey I used to not even want to wake up in the morning let alone care for my self or get dressed I locked my self away from society I mean it really saddens me to even think of it and I would never wish it on anyone!

All it takes is to make today the day to say hey I wanna change today is gonna be a good day! I know it's easier said then done but just know your mind is much more powerful then you give it credit! I personally got sick of feeling sorry for myself ! Ill admit its still hard there are days I battle with myself and think how disgusting I am ugh so I know how you feel maybe not exactly because I don't know how you got to that point but I'm am so so sorry you feel that way!

Please feel free to talk to me whenever I can be a good friend I assure you of that! I know I don't know you but what I have gathered I'd love to know you! Maybe we can help each other!

Remember these quotes

"There is always something to smile about you just have to find it! ". Meaning things could always be worse know your more blessed then you think!

And my favorite

"If one can't accept you at you're worst, they don't deserve you at your best!"

Your beautiful next time you look in the mirror tell your self that do it everyday please if not for me for YOURSELF!

Society puts so much pressure on us and makes us feel like no matter what we do it isn't enough don't buy into it or they win!

Be healthier for you not anyone else! :flowerforyou:

:heart: Bella
  • CzyAbtTiffanys
    CzyAbtTiffanys Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    YOU are beautiful,YOU are strong,YOU are unique,YOU are amazing,YOU are fearless,YOU are wonderful,YOU are a gift,YOU are talented,YOU are good enough.YOu can do anything you set your mind too.I am here for you 100 and 10%
  • cutie_patootie
    Options
    I hate to break it to you but that's life.

Everyone on here is dealing with things and everyone on here feels down and unmotivated from time to time.

The truth is you just have push through it. Motivation is nice but it's not a necessity.

^this^

Just do your workouts like routine. Don't look for weight loss/toning/getting leaner. Just push through. Depression and feeling demotivated happens to all. It is temporary and so not worth unraveling so much work you have already put in.

Stay strong!:flowerforyou:
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Depression and feeling demotivated happens to all. It is temporary and so not worth unraveling so much work you have already put in.

Feeling demotivated happens to everyone yes, depression luckily not. A depression is a medical condition in which the brain either doesn't make enough happy chemicals, or the receptors that use the happy chemicals just don't work well enough.

@OP See a doctor about your depression if you haven't already. Also, buy some self help books. Recent research suggest that books on how to deal with a depression (say, depression for dummies) really are a big help in battling depression. Depending on how bad your depression is 'just pushing through it' for exercise might not be an option. There's only so much willpower a person has, and while battling a depression you generally need willpower for other things. Like getting out of bed in the morning or taking a shower. Things non-depressed people hardly have to think about.

Trying to lose weight might not be a good thing for you right now. Eating lower calories can lower your mood as well. You know how you can feel cranky if you haven't eaten enough on a day? Put that on top of your depression and you're just making it harder on yourself. What you might try is eat at TDEE for 4-5 days a week and slightly (10-15%) under the the other 2 or 3 days. Yes it'll make the weight loss go slower, but it could very well make you happier.

Another tip is to make a list of things you like (or liked) to do. When you're feeling down or want to go eat something get that list and do something off that list.
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I am the same! I suffered with an eating disorder and every now and then the thoughts do creep back! Its really taking time to yourself sometimes and look at things! Just remember your goal (Mine healthy, happy and fit) at keep working at it! I also don't let dieting get me down! If I have a bad food day I make up for it an a clean and exercise filled day!

: )
    xx
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I know this feeling!

What really helped me was listening to Nina Simone's "I got life" on repeat while doing my workout.

Also, seeking professional help. None of our issues are "caused" by any one thing. it's not as if your life would magically become perfect if only you could fix this one thing. It's usually a more complex system that's tied together into a nasty little bundle that eats you up inside. it could be that your body image problems are actually only the symptoms while the real causes lie somewhere else. Think about it - there's no shame in saying "I need help"