small girl never lifted before - advice?

Options
Hi! So, I've never lifted anything before (except the odd suitcase here and there) but I'd like to start. The main places I'd like to tone us are my thighs and stomach muscles (not so bothered about my arms really). I'm 5ft 1.5 and weigh 49kilos, so I'm not that big and not strong AT ALL. I tried out lifting some dumbells in the gym yesterday and found 3 kilos was heavy enough to get a shake in my arms from repeated bicep curls with lunges... I know, I'm a weakling! So, how much would you suggest I lift, how often, what kind of lifts etc? Lots of reps or less reps with higher weights?
Any advice welcome!
Thanks

Replies

• Rachel_Leigh84
    Options
    Check out New Rules Of Lifting For Women. I was the same, never lifted before and wasn't very strong. It's surprising how your strength soon builds.
  • himel13
    himel13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you, but weigh 10 kilos more. I started Chalean Extreme thinking I wouldn't be able to complete any of the exercises, but I have found quite an increase in my strength already. You can give it a try with weights that feel comfortable for you and then slowly build up to higher weights! Good luck!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    OP, a full body program based around the compound lifts is going to be your best bet. You might not think you want to lift weights for your upper body, but trust me...you do. Lifting three times a week is ideal, but I think there are probably ways to adjust the various programs.

New Rules of Lifting is good, so is Stronglifts 5 x 5 (that's all online, and free--google), Starting Strength is another. Nia Shanks has a program called Beautiful Badass which I've been hearing great things about and she is WONDERFUL. Here's a link to Nia's page:

http://www.niashanks.com/

ALSO: there are some fantastic groups here on MFP for getting answers/help/support:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/12919-girls-who-lift-the-guys-who-spot-them

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • fruitninja93
    Options
    thank you everyone for your great advice! I'll have a look at some of the links and websites that you recommend!
    When you say lift 3 times a week, how long should each session last?
    Thanks! :)
  • PixieAdele
    PixieAdele Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    im 5ft1" and around 110lb (50kg) i started lifting about 2months or so ago and found this workout schedule from the livestrong website. http://www.livestrong.com/article/112472-day-workout-plan-women/ Its been really good for me so far (although i dont follow the 5th day as I go to the gym 4 times a week) I can feel myself getting stronger and have increased the weight to prove it. I'm most proud of my progress in squats, now I can squat 55kg (inc. the bar), i started at 32.5kg inc. the bar. - great for getting dat *kitten* and firm up your thighs! It also has the cardio side of things so its quite a rounded workout timetable.

There are quite a lot of arm exercises on there but you can chop and change to suit your goals/equipment, I wouldn't cut them out completely because those big lifts really strengthen up your core though. Just make sure you get your form correct before upping the weight.

Lifting is really fun so dont get intimidated by the dudes in the weights section, I feel quite empowered going in there now!

Good luck!

PS. Using that schedule my workouts last between 50mins and 90mins depending how much time I have to do the cardio stuff at the end, but the weight generally takes me between 20-30mins.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for your great advice! I'll have a look at some of the links and websites that you recommend!

Each session will last however long it takes you to get through your program.

For me, that's usually around an hour.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

Each session will last however long it takes you to get through your program.

For me, that's usually around an hour.

This. I spend about an hour lifting as well.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Check out New Rules Of Lifting For Women. I was the same, never lifted before and wasn't very strong. It's surprising how your strength soon builds.

This is very true.

I started deadlifting with 95 lbs and in a month I was able to deadlift 165 lbs.

You will get the best results if you do compound barbell lifts for your main lifts and only use dumbbells as assistance work. New Rules of Lifting for Women is good, so is Strong Lifts, and I personally do 5/3/1, which I love.

I really recommend you study form intensely and understand exactly what you are doing in each lift. Look up Mark Rippetoe on YouTube and watch his form videos for squats, deadlifts, overhead press, and bench press (those are the four main lifts I do with 5/3/1). For more information on the program I use, you can build complete programs at www.strstd.com
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Go and lift........period

Do your research and learn as much as you can, but make sure you are going. Even if you don't have a routine yet, you will learn as you go. The hardest thing for most begginers is to just go and keep going. You will be glad you did.

Remember, you are not a weakling, heavy is completly relitive to every person. Just go, don't ever be imbarressed and don't ever stop.