About to give up - What a mess.

Options
I have never been this frustrated with my body. I have been working out for 4 months now, and all that happened is I gained some biceps and got a rounder butt, which is cool but the whole reason I joined the gym was to get a toned abdominal area (I am thin everywhere except for very round hips and love handles that bulge out). I am about to give up because everything is so confusing, I seem to be in a "plateau" except I never really saw fat improvements to begin with. I don't know if I should keep doing isolated weight-training (I split muscle groups over 4 days/week) or switch to full-body circuit training 3x per week or just drop weights altogether and just do cardio. My gym membership expires today and I don't know if I should renew it or get a personal trainer or just do Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred because that seems to be working for everyone. Please help. Every year I promise myself I will get my dream body and every year I fail after I see 0 results even after I work so hard. Thank you.

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Strength train 3 times a week
    Cardio twice a week
    Eat at a deficit.

Having visible abdominals is all about body fat. You can do the 30 Day Shred until the cows come home. You won'te see abs if you're over eating or eating at maintenance. Ditch the iso exercises and pick up a barbell.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    You want to find success then keep working hard. Harder then before. Your diet is the most important thing, by far, but if you don't keep lifting then you will just end up being a smaller version of your current self. Lift weights, eat correctly........and keep doing it
  • Darryl4126
    Darryl4126 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    No boring cardio do free weights get with the GYM trainer types and use free weights working large muscle groups.EX::: Superset dumbell squats with dumbell shoulder press rest 30 secs do it again for 6 sets . Do pull ups, push ups, And steps ups rest 30 secs do it again for 6 sets. You will get cardio believe me in 30 minutes you will be whipped you have to change to move forward.
  • Jane717
    Jane717 Posts: 21
    Options
    I am eating at a deficit, I don't eat back all my extra exercise calories. The quality of my diet is also good: proteins at every meal, snacks between meals (a fruit usually) and complex carbs with breakfast and lunch usually.
  • wingsofraziel
    Options
    Toned abs is all about body fat percentage, which means cardio and diet. Lifting weights is still good to do alongside that for the whole package, but it's really not necessary for abs. My recommendation would be to do cardio 5x a week (or whenever you can), preferably 10-15 minutes of high-intensity stuff (running, HIIT, etc.), 45min to 1hr of low-intensity (walking, hiking, etc.). Watch your calories as well (you need to have some kind of net deficit), and eat clean as much as possible. Drink lots of water. Try to resist the urge to weigh yourself often, because your body's natural fluctuations could be a source of frustration - once a week is good. If you do these things, I guarantee the fat will come off.

EDIT: Sounds like the diet portion is good. Honestly, if you've been eating at a deficit and your body isn't losing weight, that does suggest some kind of plateau - your body has become too efficient at doing what it does. Try to break the pattern in your diet and your exercise, so as to "shock" it into burning fat again.
  • Jane717
    Options
    Break the pattern how? A gym trainer told me yesterday to try not eating any carbs after 6 pm just for a little while, so that's the only change in my diet that I'm starting. And I'm thinking of doing full body workouts instead of isolating muscles.
  • wingsofraziel
    Options
    Well, sometimes it can mean eating a bit more generously than you have been. Are you eating enough? You want a "net" deficit, but you should still be taking in enough calories that your body's metabolism stays up. As a female, you should be having at least 1,200 calories a day. Are you eating a lot of the same foods at the same times of day? Add some variety. Crazy as it sounds, it can even be useful to eat a bit less healthy for a week or two (but keep doing cardio to offset). You want your body to stay confused, as it were - not knowing exactly what kind of fuel it's going to get and at what time. The trainer's advice is good though, and using the tried-and-true methods should probably come first.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Well, sometimes it can mean eating a bit more generously than you have been. Are you eating enough? You want a "net" deficit, but you should still be taking in enough calories that your body's metabolism stays up. As a female, you should be having at least 1,200 calories a day. Are you eating a lot of the same foods at the same times of day? Add some variety. Crazy as it sounds, it can even be useful to eat a bit less healthy for a week or two (but keep doing cardio to offset). You want your body to stay confused, as it were - not knowing exactly what kind of fuel it's going to get and at what time. The trainer's advice is good though, and using the tried-and-true methods should probably come first.

I agree :smile:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Toned abs is all about body fat percentage, which means cardio and diet. Lifting weights is still good to do alongside that for the whole package, but it's really not necessary for abs. My recommendation would be to do cardio 5x a week (or whenever you can), preferably 10-15 minutes of high-intensity stuff (running, HIIT, etc.), 45min to 1hr of low-intensity (walking, hiking, etc.). Watch your calories as well (you need to have some kind of net deficit), and eat clean as much as possible. Drink lots of water. Try to resist the urge to weigh yourself often, because your body's natural fluctuations could be a source of frustration - once a week is good. If you do these things, I guarantee the fat will come off.

EDIT: Sounds like the diet portion is good. Honestly, if you've been eating at a deficit and your body isn't losing weight, that does suggest some kind of plateau - your body has become too efficient at doing what it does. Try to break the pattern in your diet and your exercise, so as to "shock" it into burning fat again.

Basically ignore all of this.

You need to strength train full body three times a week. Do cardio on your two off days inbetween. My man CR01520 has it right as usual. Doing tonnes of cardio and having a massive deficit just pushes up your cortisol levels and makes it more difficult to lose fat. Your body will try to hold onto it and you'll end up losing LBM instead. End result: you'll still have a layer of fat around your abdomen.

Get on one of the following training programmes: Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, NROL (any of them) or All Pro's SBR. They are all a great way to get started and see some results. Don't just wander into a gym and start making stuff up (or, heaven forbid, do a bro-split).

FInally, and most importantly, you need to workout your TDEE and subtract 10-20% (be on the lower end if your bf% is already low, the higher end if it's already higher). You can do this over at scooby's workshop and then create a custom target on here for your calculated numbers. Get planty of protein: at least a gram for each 1lb of lbm you possess daily (you can always err on the side of caution and just have 1 gm for every 1lb of total body mass you have - it won't do you any harm)
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    If you have been working out for 4 months and seen no results it's your diet that is the problem, end of.

to be blunt your diary is closed and you have not provided any information about your stats, calorie intake and what you have been doing exercise wise so you are not going to be able to get any real help here without those.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    try a personal trainer

or try this site http://printableworkouts.com/

"Do not be discouraged by who you are at present. Be motivated by who you WILL become in the future"

anyone can add me
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're trying to do 2 things at the same time.

1. Gain weight/muscles
    2. Lose weight/body fat

That's a combination that's really hard and probably not one you're achieving. So I'd say pick one of the two for 6-8 weeks and then switch to the other. I'd start with the gain muscles as that'll make losing body fat easier later on.

1. Gain weight/muscles. Do weight training. Make sure you have a plan and are increasing the weights you use over the 6-8 week period. This will make you stronger. You do not have to focus specifically on your abs, train your body. Make sure you eat slightly over TDEE. You body needs stuff to build muscles.
    2. Lose weight/body fat. Eat below TDEE, keep doing muscles exercises, but don't expect to make much progress if any. You can add in some more cardio if you like.

Keep repeating these two steps in 6-8 weeks intervals and you will get that killer body.
  • donnab83
    donnab83 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump to find later
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am eating at a deficit, I don't eat back all my extra exercise calories. The quality of my diet is also good: proteins at every meal, snacks between meals (a fruit usually) and complex carbs with breakfast and lunch usually.

Open your food diary
  • wingsofraziel
    Options

You need to strength train full body three times a week. Do cardio on your two off days inbetween. My man CR01520 has it right as usual. Doing tonnes of cardio and having a massive deficit just pushes up your cortisol levels and makes it more difficult to lose fat. Your body will try to hold onto it and you'll end up losing LBM instead. End result: you'll still have a layer of fat around your abdomen.

Get on one of the following training programmes: Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, NROL (any of them) or All Pro's SBR. They are all a great way to get started and see some results. Don't just wander into a gym and start making stuff up (or, heaven forbid, do a bro-split).

FInally, and most importantly, you need to workout your TDEE and subtract 10-20% (be on the lower end if your bf% is already low, the higher end if it's already higher). You can do this over at scooby's workshop and then create a custom target on here for your calculated numbers. Get planty of protein: at least a gram for each 1lb of lbm you possess daily (you can always err on the side of caution and just have 1 gm for every 1lb of total body mass you have - it won't do you any harm)
    So you think this bodybuilding plan is better suited for a female just trying to get toned abs? The idea that cardio and deficits (not necessarily "massive") are not helpful for fat-burning is just laughably false. Cortisol levels begin to rise after about an HOUR of aerobics - and my limitations on high-intensity and low-intensity training reflect that. There's is basically nothing better for increasing your metabolism and cutting fat. Obviously, muscle helps burn fat so there's nothing wrong with weight training as well; as I said, it simply isn't "necessary."
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    < I've been at this for two years. No abs.

Granted, i know why though. I like to eat, and i don't do interval running. My belly fat has gone down though.

My advice is patience.

Oh, and alsoa combination of proper diet, exercise, and rest.

Ifyou want something, why would you give up after for months?
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Well...welcome to the fitness industry! As you can see, unfortunately, noone here is going to help you with your confusion due to, for lack of batter words, not knowing what the hell they're talking about and or missing the point. I'll send you a friend request. You at least need to be around for my posts. But yes, renew your membership. I'm an advocate for at least TRYING to get a trainer. You owe it to yourself to have professional help in something specific. the problem is that being a "trainer" or "certified" means absolutely zilch. Like I said...stick around...

And I say ignore anyone still seriously using the word toned. Sorry...It's a marketing word for the ignorant and lazy. Don't kill the messenger.
  • Jane717
    Options
    Hello all, thank you for replying with great advice. I have opened my diary since a couple of you suggested that. But you should know that I don't log in every bit of food I eat, so I'm usually at 1200 calories.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

So you think this bodybuilding plan is better suited for a female just trying to get toned abs? The idea that cardio and deficits (not necessarily "massive") are not helpful for fat-burning is just laughably false. Cortisol levels begin to rise after about an HOUR of aerobics - and my limitations on high-intensity and low-intensity training reflect that. There's is basically nothing better for increasing your metabolism and cutting fat. Obviously, muscle helps burn fat so there's nothing wrong with weight training as well; as I said, it simply isn't "necessary."

Neither weight lifting or cardio will 'tone' abs. You can't tone a muscle.

As I I suggested earlier it would be better for her to strength train, coupled a couple of HIIT sessions per week, than to spend 5 hours a week doing cardio. That much cardio will help her lose weight as she will be (hopefully) creating a calorie deficit. However it won't match the metabolic benefits that strength training will. Also how does sticking someone on a treadmill engage their abs?

I honestly hope that you're not suggesting that she's going to get all big and bulky by following a body building routine.

That wouldn't happen unless she ate at a serious calorie surplus.

More than likely she's achieve the lean, athletic look OP appears to be aiming for.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Well, I think the people who care most about ascetics and achieving a certain ascetic look are bodybuilders. It's like their raison-d'etre, dude. Their training and diet is geared towards this end.

However, I mostly recommended strength-based training routines, rather than body-building ones (although nrol4w gets to be like a bodybuilder routine later on and All Pro is somewhat of it's own beast). Please note the young lady mentioned she was doing a body part split, which is absolutely incorrect for a beginner trainee and is the epitome of a "body-builder" type routine. Thus my advice on a three day full body routine.

Most people who think they need to cardio their way to abs generally a) do too much and end up being at it for more than an hour (hence the too much cardio leading to cortisol levels going up) or b) tend to undereat to support the cardio they are doing (hence end up in a massive deficit end up tired and stressed and their cortisol levels go up).

Finding out your TDEE to the best possible accuracy and including your training load in the calculation will end up with you being able to achieve a modest deficit and lose fat over lbm. End result: visible abs. Side effects: stronger body, greater well-being and a more positive attitude towards her own health.

Anyway, she's about to give up and feels like she's been spinning her wheels. Probably because she has been. Probably because her routine has no intelligent progression, recovery and progressive-overload built into it. Being like a magpie and jumping from one shiny little bauble to the next will not lead long term results and happiness. Time to drop the ADD and make small but positive and measurable increases and with time, patience and hard work leading to an ascetic result that reflects the work put in.

Your suggestion didn't seem to address these key problems with her current routine and would have her spinning her wheels for another 4 months with very little to show for it. Hence why I said to ignore your advice.