Hey heavy lifting women!

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
How many minutes a day do you lift heavy? How much is dedicated to lifting and how much to cardio? I normally work out for an hour a day but was wondering if I should do 30 mins of weights and 30 mins of cardio or should I do more weights and less cardio?

What is a good balance to burn fat and build muscle? Thanks!

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know this too :)
    I've been reading soo much about women lifting and have started to incorporate it into my exercise but some pointers would be fab!
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    My lifting routine usually takes around 45-60 minutes, followed by about 15-20 minutes cardio.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I lift 3 days per week - about an hour each time. I also do about 15 minutes of cardio on lifting days (stairs, burpees, or dumbell swings). I spin 1-2 days per week (60 minutes), run at least 1 day per week (60 minutes), and try to practice yoga 1-2 days per week (60 minutes).
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I usually spend about 40-45 minutes lifting and keep my cardio to a 15-20 minute warm up and a 10-15 minute cool down.

The stronglifts 5x5 guys workout usually takes 30 minutes (or less) and he recommends no cardio (or cardio on off days only). Depends on your preference. IMO, you can get in a great lifting workout in 30-45 minutes, I like a warm up and cool down but not much more cardio than that.

ETA: I don't do the stronglifts routine but just because I've got a pretty good routine and decided not to switch.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I lift 4days a week....

usually between 60-90 min sessions.. its normally around 70-75 lift and then a 10-15min cardio session (usually stair climber or bike). i lift heavy. with normally a 1min rest period in between sets (or 1min high intensity biking then rest). if you check out my blog i have my exact lifting schedule with the workouts posted.

i have 2 full cardio days... 1 of those i do pilates and run and the other is subject to how i feel..if im really sore from my lifting it will be an extra rest day

ETA: I DO NOT FOLLOW NROLFW OR STRONGLIFTS... i work design my workouts every few months keeping the essentials but alternating things based on my body progress and what is developing nicely and areas that are a little underdeveloped.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Most of the heavy lifting girls are following specific programs such as either Stronglifts or NROLFW. Try one of those.
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    I lift 4-5 times a week for 35-45 minutes depending on how much time I have. I do verrrrrry little cardio (15-20 mins of interval training MAYBE once a week) aside from volleyball.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you don't want to be lifting every day of the week. If you're lifting heavy then your muscles need adequate recovery time. If you're doing a full body workout, then 3x a week not on consecutive days (e.g. mon, wed, fri) is enough.

If you're doing a split routine (e.g. upper body one day, lower body another, or similar) then you need to ensure each muscle group gets 48 hrs rest before working it again, so you could do (for example) mon: upper body, tues: lower body, wed: upper body, thurs: lower body, fri/sat/sun: rest/cardio

You need adequate rest days, but you can do most kinds of cardio on rest days as it works the muscles in a different way and won't interfere with muscle recovery. You don't need to do any cardio on lifting days, apart from 2-3 minutes at the start as part of your warm up. Avoid very intense cardio, e.g. high intensity interval training, or cardio that includes heavy lifting such as crossfit, on rest days. But moderate steady state cardio should be fine. Most people recommend having a complete rest day at least once a week. Remember that your muscles repair themselves and develop as you rest. Training gives them the stimulus to do that, but they actually strengthen and develop when you rest. So rest is a vital part of a good lifting programme.#

ETA: you don't have to do any cardio if you don't want to
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    Most of the heavy lifting girls are following specific programs such as either Stronglifts or NROLFW. Try one of those.

Nope, not guilty. 4 day split here.
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    3 times a week ususally. I will do about 10-15 minutes of cardio to warm up and get the heart going. Then I stetch for about 15 minutes, then I do about 45-60 minutes of weight lifting.
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    I lift 4-5 times a week for 35-45 minutes depending on how much time I have. I do verrrrrry little cardio (15-20 mins of interval training MAYBE once a week) aside from volleyball.

Wow you look awesome! I want your body, lol, in a non-sexual way I swear. Great job!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    An hour or just over twice a week
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

Nope, not guilty. 4 day split here.

This. I have an advanced upper/lower split that's 45-60 mins 4 times a week. After my 1/2 Marathon tomorrow I'm cutting cardio to twice a week of HIIT for 15-20 mins if that.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Cardio is optional (but good for CV health). I do strong lifts and apart from a 5-10 min light warmup, I do no gym cardio. I do walk a bit most weeks. I am about to add running back in 2 days a week.

I have done cardio then lifting in the same session but it was stretching up to 2 hours by the time I was finished, and my lifting suffered.

I'd decide which is more fun and most important for your goals, plan that in, then work the other around it. So for me that's heavy lifting 3x week with 2 lots of 30-45min running on off days, and accepting that my running will not progress much while my lifting is.
  • LynNann57
    LynNann57 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I lift 3 times a week. I started heavy lifting a few months ago. I lift heavy twice a week, for about 20 minutes each session(strong lifts). The third day I do my bowflex, for about 50 minutes. I do cardio(treadmill) every day, from 35 to 40 minutes. I do my cardio first, then lift.
    The cardio is for my heart (have been doing it for over 4 years now). I am a believer in cardio most days of the week, for heart health! The strong lifts are (hopefully) building strong bones, along with building lean muscle! I just love heavy lifting! The tone in my muscles, coupled with the high I get from lifting is awesome. I highly recommend it! By the way, I am 55 years old!!!
  • HMVOL7409
    Options
    I lift 3 times a week. I started heavy lifting a few months ago. I lift heavy twice a week, for about 20 minutes each session(strong lifts). The third day I do my bowflex, for about 50 minutes. I do cardio(treadmill) every day, from 35 to 40 minutes. I do my cardio first, then lift.
    The cardio is for my heart (have been doing it for over 4 years now). I am a believer in cardio most days of the week, for heart health! The strong lifts are (hopefully) building strong bones, along with building lean muscle! I just love heavy lifting! The tone in my muscles, coupled with the high I get from lifting is awesome. I highly recommend it! By the way, I am 55 years old!!!

Flip it. Cardio after lifting and I bet your lifting will improve greatly.
  • LynNann57
    LynNann57 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    That's the first time I have heard that! I thought cardio first, to get the pulse rate up, then lift!
  • HMVOL7409
    Options
    That's the first time I have heard that! I thought cardio first, to get the pulse rate up, then lift!

Nope. You're depleting your glycogen stores that way and all energy should be focused on lifting to preserve your mass. :)
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    5 days a week. I do isolation exercises and wait 2 days in between working the same muscle group again. I work with a trainer and she has it all set up for me. I do between 45 and 60 minutes, usually with 5 minutes walking beforehand ( a quick walk to my apartments gym). Any major cardio is done after my weights and ends up being about 25 minutes.