Anybody read/try "Wheat Belly"

Options

Replies

• skinnyfat14
    skinnyfat14 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I bought the book yesterday just past lunch time and I had already eaten quite a bit of wheat. Dinner time I decided to cut it out and I had a chicken and meat skewer and some hummus and today I actually feel a littler flatter in the tummy. Not drastically but I do feel a small difference.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Fast forward to the last min or so if you don't want to watch the whole thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Ucxeiyjpg

Also

http://noglutennoproblem.blogspot.com/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html
    You mean wheat isn't the only thing he wants us to give up, say it isn't so. That would mean it's just another low carb diet book. If I was an actual celiac or gluten intolerant I'd be pretty pissed off with the obvious scam to sell books.
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It's been on my "to-read" list for a little while now. I personally cut out wheat in October 2012, because I was throwing up almost every single day and could find no other triggers. A few weeks after I cut out wheat, I stopped getting sick. Then I went to Germany for vacation, and there was no way I was going to pass up beer and sandwiches! And I felt awesome the entire time, eating nothing but beer and bread and donuts. So when I came back to the States, I thought "hm, maybe it wasn't the wheat after all," so I had a small serving of mac and cheese-- and couldn't go to work for 2 days because I got so sick.
    I don't know what this means, but it has convinced me (with only my personal circumstantial evidence) that we do something really weird to our wheat here in the US. Since that incident, I stick to the occasional beer and will have wheat only in the smallest quantities if it's truly unavoidable.
    ETA: I haven't lost any weight during these 6 months, but I sure do feel better overall.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Fast forward to the last min or so if you don't want to watch the whole thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Ucxeiyjpg

Also

http://noglutennoproblem.blogspot.com/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html

And those are more credible? Biased post is biased.
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the book but know someone who is following the guidelines and one of the things she's most happy about is that her psoriasis (severe) has cleared up nearly completely!
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    Options
    There are lots of anti-gluten diets that allow and encourage other safer carbs like root veggies (potatoes) and white rice so they are just Atkins re-vamped, they're sustainable lifelong diets! I would encourage you to read up on a few options before cutting carbs completely (assuming that's what wheat belly says?), there's lots of evidence that your brain and body need safe carbs and also lots of evidence that wheat isn't the best way to get those carbs... but you have to come to the decision on your own after being convinced or else you'll never be able to make the diet decisions you make permanent :-)

There's also evidence for cutting lots of other things out of your diet that have only appeared in the last 50 years or so... but, baby steps! Make small changes and if you find they're working, make some more!
  • Jchambers1130
    Jchambers1130 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I just read the Perfect Health Diet which is similar to Paleo/Primal (it's Paleo based with a few other points). I never though I would be convinced to give up gluten and sugar, but that book totally convinced me and I've heard similar things about Wheatbelly. It's only been about 2 weeks for me and I feel amazing!

But your profile pic is you with a beer....ironic :huh:
  • sailrunner
    sailrunner Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just read it. Found it was interesting.

Pretty interesting research that the wheat we eat today is very different from the grain called wheat of only 100 years ago.

I had noticed that I didn't feel as good when I ate much wheat - mostly bread for me - tho some pastry like scones..
    It did seem to trigger an addictive reaction for me. More than once I ate more than half a loaf of bread tho I wasn't really hungry.

the past week I only had wheat in two slices of pizza; no bread or pastry AND I went 7 days without a binge.

I'm not willing to eliminate all grains tho I'm cutting back.

Love to hear of other people's experience eliminating or cutting way back.

It would definetly be diffuclt to cut it out completely but I'm going to try my hardest. I've been getting really frustrated lately because I've been trying to lose these 15 pounds or so for a while. I also go through a lot of bread. I buy a loaf of whole wheat weekly to keep at work to have with peanut butter thinking I am being healthy by buying whole wheat but maybe not.
  • sailrunner
    sailrunner Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The author says that most of us bought into the idea that whole wheat was healthy (I did) and that the way wheat is now isn't healthy - ( it may be that Europe has a different type of wheat) He cites lots of research as well as anecdotal stories of illnesses eliminated and weight lost.
    I have NOT eliminated whole food carbs but have cut out virtually all wheat bread and I'm feeling better and have been binge free. You may want to also cut wheat completely and see what it does for you. I've been using celery and carrots for peanut and almond butter and hummus.

I just read it. Found it was interesting.

Pretty interesting research that the wheat we eat today is very different from the grain called wheat of only 100 years ago.

I had noticed that I didn't feel as good when I ate much wheat - mostly bread for me - tho some pastry like scones..
    It did seem to trigger an addictive reaction for me. More than once I ate more than half a loaf of bread tho I wasn't really hungry.

the past week I only had wheat in two slices of pizza; no bread or pastry AND I went 7 days without a binge.

I'm not willing to eliminate all grains tho I'm cutting back.

Love to hear of other people's experience eliminating or cutting way back.
    [/quote]

It would definetly be diffuclt to cut it out completely but I'm going to try my hardest. I've been getting really frustrated lately because I've been trying to lose these 15 pounds or so for a while. I also go through a lot of bread. I buy a loaf of whole wheat weekly to keep at work to have with peanut butter thinking I am being healthy by buying whole wheat but maybe not.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing a lot about this book lately so I decided today that I would purchase it. I haven't started reading it yet, however I'm curious to know people's thoughts on it.

My thoughts about it include things like "this is propaganda BS filled with pseudo-science and debunked myths re-surfaced and packaged so some dude can make money off of us through the use of fear mongering concerning entire food groups."

Unless you have a real allergy to wheat, there's no need to cut it from your diet. I'm in the best shape of my life right now and I have pasta and other wheat products nearly everyday.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing a lot about this book lately so I decided today that I would purchase it. I haven't started reading it yet, however I'm curious to know people's thoughts on it.

My thoughts about it include things like "this is propaganda BS filled with pseudo-science and debunked myths re-surfaced and packaged so some dude can make money off of us through the use of fear mongering concerning entire food groups."

Unless you have a real allergy to wheat, there's no need to cut it from your diet. I'm in the best shape of my life right now and I have pasta and other wheat products nearly everyday.

Yeah.

Here's the deal. I have read responses to it by molecular biologists, geneticists, paleo advocates, nutrition researchers, medical experts on celiac disease....

Everyone with expertise in one of the areas he covers has pointed out major errors of fact in the area they know something about. Across all those different areas.

Sure, you can say "oh, but they're MAINSTREAM scientists. They take money from BIG FARM-a!" Except they're not all mainstream, and they're from across the spectrum of disciplines.

One person reading it with some knowledge might say "Oh, well, he got that detail wrong, but its just one detail.' Well, when all those different people are pointing out things that are factually incorrect across the whole thing? That' smore than just an accident. He's pulling in a lot of stuff he knows nothing about and then misinterpreting it and misquoting sources and outright getting it wrong somtimes.

In order to .... sell a low-carb diet book. Because low carb diet books sell.

I absolutely 100% believe that celiac disease is real and a real problem and up until the past few years was frequently underdiagnosed. I still think that Wheat Belly is a misguided book full of bad science.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I just read the Perfect Health Diet which is similar to Paleo/Primal (it's Paleo based with a few other points). I never though I would be convinced to give up gluten and sugar, but that book totally convinced me and I've heard similar things about Wheatbelly. It's only been about 2 weeks for me and I feel amazing!

Paleo/primal dieters arbitrarily restrict food, arbitrarily
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Paleo/primal dieters arbitrarily restrict food, arbitrarily

you keep using that word...... i do not think it means what you think it means.
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Since I stopped eating grains and mostly all dairy (except cheese here and there) any bloating I would have had has completely stopped. I have not read the book, but have done similar research regarding this issue and definitely could agree with the science behind it. My stomach is a lot flatter and more defined now which is either from fat loss or less bloating/inflammation or both. Whatever it is, I definitely don't want to stop it!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well, from the looks of it I'll be against the grain here, but I quite enjoy my whole grains and have no desire or reason to give them up. I successfully lost weight by simply watching my overall calories. The only really good thing I see about the whole primal/paleo movement is the elimination of processed foods. But, in general, I think paleo is a fad that will go the same way atkins and all the other diet fads went before it.

This. Unless you're willing to go wheat free all your life, don't even bother, IMO. Unless obviously you have issues with gluten.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    While I don't follow a strict Paleo lifestyle, I have cut out a lot of wheat from my diet. I only eat my carbs in the form of vegetables, rice/ rice cakes, and oats now. I used to have a severe case of IBS, but I found that when I cut out a lot of refined carbs from my diet (ie, bread, pasta, cereal, cakes, sweets, etc.) that my IBS got a lot better on its own without medication. I don't follow it strictly and still consume certain things like cereal from time to time, but I do find that I get very bloated afterward.

Edit- I didn't lose any weight by doing this. I can just say that it has helped with my IBS and digestion.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options

Yeah.

Here's the deal. I have read responses to it by molecular biologists, geneticists, paleo advocates, nutrition researchers, medical experts on celiac disease....

Everyone with expertise in one of the areas he covers has pointed out major errors of fact in the area they know something about. Across all those different areas.

Sure, you can say "oh, but they're MAINSTREAM scientists. They take money from BIG FARM-a!" Except they're not all mainstream, and they're from across the spectrum of disciplines.

One person reading it with some knowledge might say "Oh, well, he got that detail wrong, but its just one detail.' Well, when all those different people are pointing out things that are factually incorrect across the whole thing? That' smore than just an accident. He's pulling in a lot of stuff he knows nothing about and then misinterpreting it and misquoting sources and outright getting it wrong somtimes.

I absolutely 100% believe that celiac disease is real and a real problem and up until the past few years was frequently underdiagnosed. I still think that Wheat Belly is a misguided book full of bad science.
    I agree it's another low carb diet book. If he was actually addressing celiac/gluten sufferers he would be addressing other sources of carbs, but he doesn't, it's a similar low carb pitch as all the others. He's basically cashing in on the recent awareness and low carb popularity. imo
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Yeah.

I agree it's another low carb diet book. If he was actually addressing celiac/gluten sufferers he would be addressing other sources of carbs, but he doesn't, it's a similar low carb pitch as all the others. He's basically cashing in on the recent awareness and low carb popularity. imo

explain please?
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Do some people have sensitivity or intolerance to wheat? Yep!
    Do some people have a disease called Celiac where they absolutely can NOT have wheat because it kills the essential microvilli in their intestines? You bet! Part of the diagnosis includes taking a biopsy of the intestine where you can actually see the destruction, confirming the diagnosis.

But are all humans sensitive to wheat and/or gluten? No... many/most of us can eat wheat just fine without a problem or worry.

This is just a low carb book in disguise! The low carb diet is GREAT, as is the paleo diet. BUT the reason they work is that they help to control blood sugar spikes and cravings and make it easier to stay within our calorie deficit goals. Paleo/primal/etc proponents (and they sure are a vocal proselytizing bunch, aren't they?) cut out food arbitrarily, chasing pseudo-scientific nonsense in the name of "leptins" (which sound to me pretty similar to thetans!) and having the right results for the wrong reasons, cutting out foods and nutrients that they have no REAL reason to avoid.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Haven't read it, but I have diabetes, celiac sprue and Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Eliminating wheat and other grains was a pretty obvious choice and I've never felt better. Eczema that has plagued me since middle school is done, IBS flares are much less common, arthritis is much improved - the list could go on and on.