goal weight for taller people

Options
2»

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I think you are crazy, personally, to be aiming for such an obscenely low weight. I mean, you are 6'5. What are you thinking? 150 is an acceptable weight for a FEMALE 7 inches shorter than yourself. You would look like someone out of Bergen Belsen, regardless of your build.
    lol. I forgot to say I'm currently at 165 so I'm close

I think you should forget losing weight and start bulking now. Even if you have a very small frame, you are already thin. If your goal is to bulk, then what do you think you will achieve by losing 15 lbs when you're already thin? You'll just be making it that much more difficult for yourself.

Get lifting heavy weights, eat above your TDEE and start bulking now. After you've gained some muscle, then do a cut with a very conservative deficit to get rid of any fat without losing any lean mass.

Maybe you don't like your body composition right now, but lifting and gaining muscle is going to make the improvements that you want to see, e.g. firming up all over and improving your overall shape... losing more weight isn't going to do that for you.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and I'm aiming for about 160
  • rachaelr22
    rachaelr22 Posts: 32
    Options
    my boyfriend is 6"2 and about 145-150lb. I WANT HIM TO PUT ON WEIGHT! He is so skinny, and I currently am stronger than him (yes, please look at my arms. His are not much bigger). He has always been a skinny, lanky Japanese and just doesn't care about missing meals, hence his skinny-ness.

150lb at your height is absolutely ridiculous! and likely impossible without some health problems and starving yourself :/
    lol same here I'm stronger than my boyfriend especially the legs. Mine are huge compared to his
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I am 6'6"! I set my goal weight to about 275 maybe 268 max! I haven't weighed 150 since elementary school!
  • nightdragon70
    nightdragon70 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'2 and currently have my goal set at around 175-180 range. However, currently around 213 mark and already having people tell me that I'm starting to look thin. I think I'll be happy in 180-190 range but we will see.

Ultimately just going to work on the toning and let the weight be what it will be. I'll stay healthy and plan from there.

Good luck!
  • laurenkelly83
    Options
    Female here and I'm 5'8. My goal is 145. Your goal may be a bit too low!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    What, I am 5'6" 140, and would like to put on some weight.

Here is a rule of thumb to follow to set goal weights for a man 5' 106lbs, then add 6 lbs per inch. So at 6'5" that would put you at 208 (106+17*6), and if you are large frame or look at have some muscle, add 10% (More if goal to be considered "big") , if your goal is the thin lean look take off 10%. So that would give you a range of 187 to 229, or even higher if you carry a lot of muscle. I would suggest a goal of 200-250 for that height.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'5" and have set my initial goal weight at 150 after losing my belly fat. I want to start bulking after that but am curious what other taller people set as their goal

Dude, no just no! Start bulking at 6'5" you do not need to lose any weight at 165. I have a son that is 6'3" and weighs about 150 and like you, he has tiny wrists. He is way to skinny! So I understand the natural build thing but start a strength program and focus on muscle gain instead of weight loss. You will be amazed at the body transformation and how healthy and awesome you look!
  • runningwild00
    runningwild00 Posts: 109
    Options
    I am a 6 ft female and at 173-175 and I am pretty lean, slightly lanky. I wanted to get to 168 but it's just not happening! I know all bodies are different and we show our weight differently....

but 6'5 and 150??? Was that a typo did you mean 250?? I am no Dr, but I would say you should be like 190-200+ at that height if you wanted to bulk!

My father is 6'7 and he is far into the 200s, strongest person I have ever met and very healthy!

Just do some research to be safe.
  • mounty89
    mounty89 Posts: 41
    Options
    Wow 6'1". I suddenly feel very short.

My goal weight is 185-190lbs.

If you have a frame like you say i'd suggest eating close to maintenance or slightly above as sounds as you have very little muscle mass.

Try and add some muscle to your frame and start a good strength program. This will not only make you stomach less noticeable( newbie growth so width on shoulders, lat growth) plus the added lean muscle mass should increase how many calories your body burns.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11 and would never expect myself to get to 150. Actually, I think I would look gross. I am currently at 176. I would be happy at 165.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    male, 6'3, shooting for 200-220 lbs range. My doctor says I should be 175-190 lbs. I think it's too low.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    What, I am 5'6" 140, and would like to put on some weight.

Here is a rule of thumb to follow to set goal weights for a man 5' 106lbs, then add 6 lbs per inch. So at 6'5" that would put you at 208 (106+17*6), and if you are large frame or look at have some muscle, add 10% (More if goal to be considered "big") , if your goal is the thin lean look take off 10%. So that would give you a range of 187 to 229, or even higher if you carry a lot of muscle. I would suggest a goal of 200-250 for that height.

Seriously?

I'm female, 5'1" and weigh 130lb, 101lb of that is lean body mass (22% body fat) No way is 106lb is a goal weight for a man just one inch shorter than me, unless he has a tiny, tiny frame, ....men generally have larger frames than women and that goal weight is about right for a small framed woman.... A medium framed woman of this height would be maybe 110-115lb. A medium framed man would weigh more than that.

If I follow your rule, even adding 10% due to having a large frame, my goal weight would be 123.2lb... I'd have to cut down to about 18% body fat and not bulk at all to get to that weight... and i'm female... If I was male with the same height and frame size that I have I'd aim to bulk up to 140 or 145lb or maybe even more than that if I can. (and I'm still a novice at lifting, and I'm looking to gain lean mass in addition to what I already have, just I know I don't have the testosterone to add as much as a man could)

Short people are usually not scaled down models of taller people, so linear scales like these don't work.

IMO it's a lot better to base goal weights on body fat percentage. i.e. base it on your current weight and current body fat percentage and what your goal is (bulk, cut). Find out how much lean body mass you have, then for bulking work out how much you want to add, and for cutting, work out what you'd weigh with the same amount of lean body mass but with the body fat percentage you want.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    At 6'4, I have relatively broad shoulders and I guess a larger frame. My "goal" weight is around 200-205 so 150 seems tiny.