Salad Dressing Recipes

Options
So I'm trying to eat more salads at lunch time. Got some fresh veggies, cottage cheese and all the good greens I like...I run into a snag with salad dressings.

I don't like buying the low fat kind because I know what fillers they add to them to make them creamy/tasty.

Does anybody have some good recipes for light salad dressings that you can share with me? I'm not picky and would like to try something different from my usual homemade balsamic or honey mustard.

Thanks much!!!

Replies

• jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt, ranch packet, milk to thin to desired consistency makes a good ranch dressing substitute :)
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt, ranch packet, milk to thin to desired consistency makes a good ranch dressing substitute :)

Om nom!!!!

You know I've thought about substituting plain greek yogurt for sour cream in a few other recipes as well...I mean it tastes almost the same and it's fat free with lots of protein!

Thanks-I'll have to give this a try (especially since I LOVE ranch)
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I made some of this up the other day, and have been putting it on salads this week. Tastes just like full fat caesar:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/08/skinny-caesar-dressing.html#more
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    That looks awesome!!!! My husband will love that. He's a Ceasar dressing freak!
  • Nifer21
    Nifer21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When there is enough flavour from the salad ingredients, I use fresh squeezed lemon (epecially when I add a can of tuna to my salad)!
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'd love to hear peoples suggestions for salad dressings also.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Giving this a bump because I'm in need of some new ideas too. I much prefer to make my own so I know what's going in, rather than buying from the supermarket.

Though having said that I've just had a proper look at the search results for "salad dressing" and there's loads of posts so maybe I'll just have a read through some of those for inspiration.
  • Autazell
    Autazell Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have some grilled salmon and I was really craving caesar salad, a quick search and I found this old thread. ;) Thanks for sharing your recipes everyone!!!!

Paying it forward by adding this awesome list of 100 quick salad dressings I found on the blog What Ann Makes. Goooood stuff here. http://whatannemakes.blogspot.com/2011/01/100-fast-salad-dressing-recipes.html
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, a splash of apple cider vinegar, a little lemon juice, fresh garlic, shallots, salt, pepper, sprinkle of crushed walnuts and of nutritional yeast, mix and drizzle over greens...delicious, healthy, dairy free dressing :)
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bump. :)
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I like a Thai inspired one with fresh lime juice, chilli, garlic, fish sauce and a bit of sugar (sweetener if you prefer). Play around with the amounts to get the balance right
  • ravshizzle
    ravshizzle Posts: 8
    Options
    I make a vinaigrette using the following;

Olive oil
    Lemon juice/white wine vingear
    French grain mustard
    Salt & Pepper to taste.
  • muggs1090
    muggs1090 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, love ranch! I found my new fave it's Marie's Yogurt Parmesan Caesar. I found it in the refridgerator section. Its only 50cal for 2 tbsp. Cant beat that!
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I mash up 1/2 an avocado, a tablespoon (or so) of lemon juice & salt/pepper. Toss and enjoy!