Heavy Lifting: Where Do I Start?

I have been doing cardio and isolated exercises for a good three months now. In the past month, I have become more conscious of my diet and this month I started counting calories, but results are little to none. Not sure if I'm being impatient or I have hit the Plateau. Either way, I'd like to mix it up and start heavy lifting. It's just very daunting and I have no idea where to start.
Any tips?

Replies

• Where to start with heavy lifting?

Just lift heavy. It's really that simple.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Are you a member of a gym? If so, set yourself up with a trainer there. If not, check out Weight Training for Dummies (buy it or check it out from the library). They've got a ton of helpful hints and different free weight exercises to help you along your way.
  • tarynchatfield
    tarynchatfield Posts: 43 Member
    As overwhelmingly helpful as that was, I'm looking more for what weight women suggest starting with, how many reps, how many days a week, how often to do cardio as well, avoiding injuries, etc.
  • tarynchatfield
    I'm a member of 24 Hour Fitness, but the only times I'm available to go to the gym are after 11 PM due to full time work and full time school, so there aren't any trainers (or anyone, really) to help :/
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    If you don't want to work with a trainer...they are pricey after all...try out a book. I use the new rules of lifting for women, it's a great resource and breaks it down into 7 stages, lots of illustrations and a great plan for beginning weights.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    You need a plan. Check out Strong Lifts 5x5 or New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Both have groups on MFP. They are good places to start, since they outline everything you need to do.

Watch youtube videos for form - look for videos by Mark Rippetoe. You can also get his book "Starting Strength". It's full of great info.

As far as what weight to start with, you start as heavy as you can and build up from there. Everyone has a different starting point.
  • barrattandrew
    barrattandrew Posts: 148
    have a look at New rules of lifting for women. http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Rules-Lifting-For-Women/dp/1583332944
    All the heavy lifters I know swear by it.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    I started out with Stronglifts 5x5. Check out their website and they have instructional videos on proper form. I really liked it. Now i think i want to switch to a 3x5 with some accessory moves.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    As overwhelmingly helpful as that was, I'm looking more for what weight women suggest starting with, how many reps, how many days a week, how often to do cardio as well, avoiding injuries, etc.

You just start lifting as heavy as you can lift, it might be 20kilograms it might be 30, everyone is different. For me new rules of lifting for women is too complicated, I chose to do stronglifts 5 x 5 it's simple and effective. Most doing the SL 5x5 lift 3 days a week, some do cardio on alternate days others do none once again it's up to you and your goals.
  • Quest529
    Quest529 Posts: 103 Member
    I just started New Rules of Lifting for Women. Today will be my second workout.

I strongly recommend finding a program to follow. It helps having a plan for when you get in there.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    I too go to the gym late at night. I'm doing Strong Lifts now. There are plenty of videos on that site and youtube to show you how to do everything. My triceps and calves are looking damn good and I actually have a decently shaped butt now.

I've also done some plans from BodyBuilding that I had good results from as well.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    As already stated above, check out NRLFW . And get a program of some kind to follow. Ideally you should get with somebody that can show you the correct form to use while doing heavy lifting. As you can injure yourself pretty quick with heavy weights and bad form. And bad form just isn't as productive as good form either. Why move a bunch of iron around, if you are only getting a fraction of the benefit?? And most likely an injury along with it .........
    Try your best to get with a trainer at least once and cover the basic moves you want to start with . ie.... squats, deadlifts(and their variations) chest presses, military presses ect ......
  • tarynchatfield
    Thank you so much to everyone :D I will definitely check out the books and Youtube videos. Downloaded the 5x5 system and I'll try that tonight :)
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member

I think reps/sets depend on your goals. I personally do 3 sets/12 or 4 sets/15 depending on what I'm doing and to keep it changed up a little. I'm new to lifting (started in November) and have SO MUCH TO LEARN!

www.bodybuilding.com has some excellent info and Jamie Eason has a Live Fit 12-week program on there that is free. I have also heard excellent things about New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    That's great that you downloaded the stronglifts program. You may also want to check out Starting Strength too. The next step is to read, read and read some more. Do a lot of research on how to lift properly. Whatever you do, DONT lift heavy right away. There will be plenty of time to lift heavy. Start light and progress a little at a time. In 6 months you will be lifting heavy. Dont get caught up in the "you need to lift heavy" jargon. Almost everyone on this forum that lifts heavy, started with lighter weights and progressed with good form. They may have many years, not months, into several different programs. :smile:
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great way to get started. I absolutely recommend that book and program.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    If you have got the movements/form of each exercise perfected or close to perfected then you can jump straight on to heavy lifting but if you are still a novice at what your doing eg. Still doing mistakes in form using light weights then you need to get that sorted before the heavy stuff as it can mess your body up! :sad:
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    All the programs that have been suggested are worthy, but I want to add that if you are going at it unsupervised, you should start light to prevent any injuries and to perfect your form. It is better to start light and quickly progress to lifting your "ideal starting weight" than to start too heavy, with horrible form, and getting sidelined due to injury.

EDIT: got ninja'd by @krhn :)
  • yumbinkbugonrox
    yumbinkbugonrox Posts: 61 Member
    I went to muscleandstrength.com and looked up a beginner program (for 3 days a week). I like it thus far (2 weeks in), and I've been working on form and pushing myself a little further each time. I also like that in the 3 day workout for beginners, there are helpful little video links to show you how to properly do the lifts. Good luck! :)