Are there emotions in body FAT????

Options
Hi all
A good friend of mine, was told by a dietician who works for a well respected and well know weight loss advisory company, that in our body fat there are stored hormones. So that it is to be expected that when we are in the process of loosing weight and releasing stored fat from our bodies that we will experience hormonal changes as a result of this. Such as vivid dreams and very high and low emotional periods.

Has anyone else been heard this or is my friend being fed a load of rubbish?

Emma x

Replies

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are hormones there (like cortisol), but I don't think it should cause wierd dreams or mood swings. However, admittedly, I am no doctor or nutritionist. I've been on this path for 2 years, and have been meeting with a variety of dieticians and bariatricians, behaviour coaches, etc. and this has never come up. So call me suspicious.

I will tell you that the belly fat wants to fester and grow. I wondered if that was true or not until I just had surgery to remove the loose skin/fat from my belly from having lost enough weight to warrant it. Now, after the surgery, it doesn't seem like I'm having nearly the cravings that I was having prior to surgery or am hungry nearly as often.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I don't remember having any mood swings or weird dreams when I was losing weight! I know my Dr told me that losing weight made me extra fertile leading to instapregnancy. I tried looking this up because I was curious but my Google skills are failing me since any combination of fat/weight + hormones in the search bar yields a towering mountain of weight loss scams as results and no actual information.
  • Erin0164
    Erin0164 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have heard that too! Apparently fat also stores medication - like antihistamines. As you burn the fat the chemicals are released.
  • emmamwale
    emmamwale Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    Also very interesting about the retention of medications!
    xoxo
  • smoira
    smoira Posts: 12
    Options
    Hiya again, I think this explains a lot my mood does change, days where I feel really down and just want to eat, but I have heard that after 3-4 weeks on a diet are the hardiest but once you get past this your body gets used to it, and that's when you will fell better.xx
  • emmamwale
    Options
    Eurgh! I already hate belly fat....... but now I really do!! (((Curse the belly fat!))

Thanks for the advice

Have a great day

Emma xo
  • swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've not heard of fat storing emotions, but I have heard of people being emotional when going through new exercises (I heard this in relation to yoga, not sure about others). Apparently emotions are sometimes released due to muscle memory associated with specific movements.
  • hfox9707
    hfox9707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am taking physiology right now, I have never heard of that. I have learned that chemicals or hormones that deal with emotions are stored in muscles. But it would make sense as somebody mentioned about cortisol.
  • emmamwale
    Options
    Normally I would google this but cant at the moment! So what is cortisol?
  • Jaxter888
    Jaxter888 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Normally I would google this but cant at the moment! So what is cortisol?

A hormone released in times of stress... both physical and emotional.
  • Jaxter888
    Jaxter888 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else been heard this or is my friend being fed a load of rubbish?

Emma x

The latter.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    If you believe this, I have some nice oceanfront property in Arizona for sale.
  • Granville_Cocteau
    Granville_Cocteau Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Sounds like new-age baloney.

If anything, exercise will elevate mood through increased levels of serotonin, dopamine, etc.