Tendonitis and exercise

Options
I frequently get tendonitis in my elbows. Had it for over a year in my right one which seems mostly ok at the moment but my left has started to give me a lot of pain when gripping things (even pouring the kettle is tricky if it's more than 1/3 full, but it all depends on the angle I have to hold things at).

I'm pretty new to exercising and I'm not doing anything too strenuous, 2.5kg - 4kg dumbbells for chest fly and bicep curls for example. I can't see a pattern between arm exercises and good or bad days for my elbow, it's all a bit random but I guess I'm just looking for reassurance I'm not making things worse.

Also, are there any exercises that might actually help it?

Cheers folks :smile:

Replies

• scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You know, I'm experiencing something similar with my left wrist. Not sure if it's tendonitis or not (and neither is my doctor). It started when I was doing burpees and kettlebell presses a few weeks ago. I thought I had just overworked it, but after a couple of weeks I wasn't so sure. Like you, certain exercises and angles give me some serious discomfort, while others are fine. I can do pushups, even explosive pushups, but a plate raise for anything over 10 pounds is trouble. I usually just wrap it (or in your case maybe put a brace on) and try to be mindful of it. It will basically have to be trial and error as to what exercises you can do. For that reason, try to keep it fairly light until you know your limitations. Of course, afterwards ice it down and take some anti-inflammatory's.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Scotty.

I keep it strapped during work and exercise and I have a donor bag of frozen peas kept just for my elbows lol

I'll just keep doing what I'm doing then see how it goes. I know it wasn't exercise that caused it as I've had these issues long before I picked up a dumbbell, I was just a bit worried in case it aggravated it, if that makes sense.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Tendinits is usually chronic once you get it. I have it in both elbows (and both types "golfer" and "tennis") and it hurts a little once I perform pullups, curls and tricep extensions of any kind. But usually once I'm past the first set, the pain subsides considerably. Do what you can to get them warm and if needed there are neoprene sleeve you can buy to help with support.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • meganfoster12
    meganfoster12 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I have tendonitis in my elbow and I had to go physio to get help. They taught me to stretch my arm after every workout and even an arm brace which both have been helping. Also after workouts if it hurts a lot ice it first and then apply heat
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Join the club! I had tendonitis the first time in my right elbow about 10 yrs. ago & did the brace, therapy etc. about 4 yrs. ago I got it in my right foot - again with the usual treatment & an air cast. No gym for about 6 months! While doing therapy for my foot it came back in both elbows - talk about a sight! About 3 months ago I noticed a pain in the middle of my hand while doing push- ups at the gym. I've been doing therapy for about 6 weeks now & its slow going. And I thought I caught it early enough but it's being stubborn. Today I was diagnosed with "capsulitis" in my right foot - another of the "itis" group. It's in a different spot than before & this only flared up a week ago & has only bothered me on & off.

I have a brace for my arm when it flares up in my elbow. It's called "band-it" & I ordered it online so I have several whenever it flares up. My advice which I'm sure everyone whose suffered with it is Rest & Ice. If you "even think" it might be tendonitis please "don't wait" - get it checked out ASAP. I waited too long to get my foot checked out & it took at least 6 months to get back to normal & it flares up from time to time & I know I have to back off & take it easy.

Ninerbuff - I have a question for you. I read that chronic tendonitis can be because of a magnesium deficiency - have you heard of this? The only answer I keep getting is "over use & old age" thanks & good luck to the other sufferers! I feel your pain!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Ninerbuff - I have a question for you. I read that chronic tendonitis can be because of a magnesium deficiency - have you heard of this? The only answer I keep getting is "over use & old age" thanks & good luck to the other sufferers! I feel your pain!!
    Haven't heard of that and if it were true, then my problems would be solved!!! However, after quickly looking for clinical studies to back it, it doesn't seem that there's any conclusive evidence that it's true.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    After diagnosis of my right elbow I was basically given some supports and on occasion a pain injection (that was when I could hardly grip a pen though) and told it's unfortunate but you have to live around it. He didn't seem to think it was something I could be treated for but I'm open to suggestions. Not heard about any deficiencies causing it but again, I am willing to try most things apart from eating cabbage!

As long as I'm not making it worse by lifting some weights I'll just carry on as normal - thanks for the feed back :)
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Have you tried physio? I'm not sure if you have it available to you in your area, but it's free on the nhs where I am and self-referral, definitely worth checking out! I get tendonitis all over the place, and bad enough to stop me from doing the things I love (rowing, running, swimming) hell, it hurts washing my hair! I've had to take an 8 week hiatus from any kind of hard exercise until I can see the physio (which is in 4 weeks), I've been told that they'll help me to strengthen the muscles around the effected ones which will in turn take the pressure off them. I was also warned off bracing as it can further weaken the effected muscles, I'm sure you've already heard that advise though.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I personally don't agree with the "don't use braces". When I feel it starting in my elbows I wear my brace and that usually prevents it from getting any worse. I don't wear the braces "all the time" - only when it starts acting up. And as soon as I know the brace isn't going to do the trick I go to the physical therapy. I don't care to spend 4 - 5 hours a week in therapy but I'd rather go and get it done than put it off until I have to go for 12 weeks instead of 4. All a personal preference I suppose.

I've had the cortisone shots and they don't do a thing for me but I've talked to other people who swear by them - again everyone is different.