Help me make my grocery list! :)

Options
Amber52291
Amber52291 Posts: 21
I have a $380 grocery limit per month.
I cook for myself, my 23 year old boyfriend (who also wants to lose weight), and our 10 month old son.
I'd like some ideas on foods that we can all eat and enjoy for a good price.
Please, no organic foods.

Replies

• jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    $380 can definitely go a long way, but can you give any indication of what kinds of foods/cuisines you like to eat? My husband and I have about your same food budget and we like a mix of Spanish, Italian, Indian, Thai, and American meals. I'm happy to share tips, but I'd like to know what your preferences/aversions are.
  • Amber52291
    Amber52291 Posts: 21
    Options
    We like pretty much anything. Usually eat American meals but we also like Chinese food, Italian food, and my boyfriend loves to eat spicy foods (but I hate spicy lol).
    $380 can definitely go a long way, but can you give any indication of what kinds of foods/cuisines you like to eat? My husband and I have about your same food budget and we like a mix of Spanish, Italian, Indian, Thai, and American meals. I'm happy to share tips, but I'd like to know what your preferences/aversions are.
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    Find out what day your local grocery store of Walmart puts the meats on sale...That will save you quiet a bit right there.... And make sure you find out the price per ounce at each store and compare... I only buy stew meat at walmart and flank steaks at my local brookshires for the best prices.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Why the exclusion of organic foods?
  • connielouivey
    connielouivey Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Go through all of the grocery ads of the grocery stores in your area and price-match the things you want at walmart! also clip coupons (which there aren't a lot of these that I use, but every penny helps!)

A great place to check all of your local ads at once is www.allyou.com It has not only ads to price match but coupons to print out, as well. All You is a magazine put out by Walmart that you can buy on the shelf with lots of recipes, coupons, and interesting articles. I usually just go to the website, though.

Money is tough for all of us right now so look forward to see what other people have to add to this thread.
  • queenprog
    queenprog Posts: 10
    Options
    Don't forget your local budget stores. Most larger cities have a dented food store that sells foods that didn't sell right away at the local grocery store and were sold to a budget store. It's an inexpensive alternative to buying retail prices which are soaring nationwide.
  • greenwel
    greenwel Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Use coupons, eliminate meat and dairy, add organic!
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    It helps me immensely to plan meals at the beginning of the week and shop accordingly. I usually try to plan several "budget-friendly" meals along with a couple splurges so we feel treated. Having a well-stocked spice rack helps a lot. Here are some ideas:

Sample meal week:
    Monday: Lentil dal with chicken and garlic naan
    Tuesday: Turkey/spinach meatloaf with sweet potato
    Wednesday: homemade pizza
    Thursday: Rice, meatballs, broccoli
    Friday: Pasta puttanesca (spaghetti with tomato sauce cooked with anchovies, capers, and olives)
    Saturday: Thai noodles and shrimp
    Sunday: steak night! with roast new potatoes and string beans

Shopping list:
    lentils ($2)
    1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast ($5)
    naan ($3)
    canned diced tomato ($2)
    spinach (2 bags/$5)
    ground turkey ($4)
    ground beef ($6)
    sweet potatoes ($3)
    marinara sauce (2 jars/$4)
    yeast ($3)
    good mozzarella cheese ($6)
    good parmesan ($8)
    bag frozen, raw, peeled shrimp (2 lb, $17)
    anchovies ($3)
    capers ($3)
    olives ($4)
    Thai egg noodles ($4)
    bell peppers (2/$5)
    8 oz bean sprouts ($4)
    string beans ($2)
    1 lb new potatoes ($3)
    1 lb steak ($8, depending on cut)
    bread (2/$5)
    lunch meats (1 lb, $7)
    milk ($4)
    plain Greek yogurt ($8)
    strawberries ($4)
    bananas ($2)

Things you might have at home:
    flour
    garlic salt
    red chili flakes
    soy sauce
    pasta
    rice
    olive oil

This shopping list comes to about $134, which is on the high end for a shopping trip, but the bread will last two weeks, you'd only use about 1/4 the bag of shrimp, you'd use about 1/8 the parmesan, and that kind of cheese keeps a long time in the fridge, and you might get away with only using 1/2 the beef as well, depending on how much meat you eat. I also rounded up here and there--you can find several items on that list for cheaper. When I need budget-friendly meals, I'll make a big pot of soup or chili, buy peanut butter and jelly instead of more expensive lunch meat, skip the steak, etc. I buy big packs of tilapia filets or shrimp because they keep for months in the freezer, adapt well to a lot of recipes, and are very cost-effective. We eat yogurt or cereal for breakfast and bring sandwiches or leftovers for lunch.
  • mtneerjk81
    mtneerjk81 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Simple...

Chicken
    Beef
    Bacon
    Pasta
    Milk

If you have those items, you can eat like royalty for a month!
  • joeylu
    joeylu Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I buy alot of side dishes when they are $1. Meats I buy in bulk and cut them down and freeze them. Also buy stuff when its on sale even if you dont need it :)
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I would make it a priority to first buy all the fruit/vegetables that your local supermarket has on sale. Then I would go for chicken or turkey, eggs, low-fat milk, greek yogurt, a few nuts or a nut butter and then the grains/cereals that you like.

Or create a menu for the week and calculate how much it will cost to make everything.
  • nnm1976
    nnm1976 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've found the best way to stay within my budget is to create a weekly / monthly meal plan. To keep things simple I've designated days where we eat certain things to ensure that my family has a variety (i.e. Monday - Vegetarian, Tuesday, - Fish, Wednesday - Chicken, Thursday - Leftover day, Friday - Open, ect.). I map out breakfast, lunch and dinner and incorporate (2) snacks a day. I know you don't like organic but I belong to an organic delivery service and revolve my menu around the fruits and veggies I receive in my weekly box, to eliminate waste. I've found this keeps me on budget and more importantly very little goes to waste. Also, it saves a trip to a store which means more time to spend doing other things. My service is very reasonable priced, otherwise I wouldn't do it...I'm a single mom...so eating the best food for as little as possible is always a priority.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Here is my grocery list every week:

- Chciken Breasts (pre-cut into tender strips)
    - Sirlon Tip Steak (great for stir fry's)
    - Talapia
    - Fresh Produce.... I can not stress this enough. Pre packaged foods will have preservatives in them (sodium) and you want to minimize that. Challenge the cashier... have them look it up and weight it. Veggies are broccoli, zucchini, squash, peppers, spinich. Fruits are berries, grapes, tangerines / grapefruit, tomato and avocados. I also grab unsalted almonds that you bag yourself.
    - Quinoa (This replaces rice)
    - Eggs and Egg whites.
    - Cheese (I use cheese for my snack)
    - Tea (so that I have a flavored drink). I do not use much sugar if any in my tea but I do use agave nectar for some sweetness.

This is a typical list and I usually get it all for under $70. I will also mention that I eat very large portions so a single serving size for me is usually other peoples doubles.
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies are an easy way to buy vegetables in larger quantities without worrying about them going bad - and they go on sale pretty often!

Oats are cheap and a great breakfast/anytime meal or snack.

Dried beans, lentils, chickpeas can create some really easy meals that are healthy and inexpensive. One of my favorite meals to make is dried chickpeas, a bag (or box) of frozen spinach, some chopped onions, salt/pepper/chili powder to taste, 3 cups water or chicken broth - cook in the crock pot until chickpeas are tender. Top with a bit of Parmesan cheese

Buy meat that is on sale and freeze in portions for your family.

Eggs are easy, cheap meal sources.

Shop vegetables on sale and plan your meals around that - the internet has a recipe for everything!

Also, shop at a dollar store (or Aldi's, etc) for discounts on things like cereals, cake mixes, canned vegetables, etc. Just make sure to check expiration dates.
  • klcpearce
    klcpearce Posts: 3
    Options
    This is my first post, but you are speaking my language. Equipping my family with healthy foods which fit within our budget is almost a second job for me. We spend $1000/month, but there are six of us (me + hubs, THREE TEENAGERS! and the 7 year old). One teen is a 15-year-old athlete boy, so he eats as much as two normal people. I buy my groceries at 3 places religously: Sams, Kroger, & the local fresh produce market. Here is my best advice to you.
    1) Eggs. Good for a quick dinner, a healthy breakfast, protein snacks, and anything else you can imagine. We easily go through 3 dozen eggs a week. Boiled eggs, simple omelets (lots of veggies, or a little chorizo and cheese, or any combination that makes you happy. I will sometimes take a pack of 18 eggs & make 9 omelets at a time. The keep in the fridge & freeze perfectly.
    2) Whole Chickens. Boil/simmer whole chickens in a pot with onion, celery, garlic, carrot, salt & fresh parsley springs for 4 hours. Drain off all the solids & you have lots of YUMMY homemade chicken stock. Remove the skin & bones from the chicken & you have YUMMY cooked chicken that you can do endless things with.
    3) Frozen bagged veggies. Use your chicken stock with a bag of mixed vegetables (or use fresh), some rice or pasta noodles, and a handful of chopped chicken for a very fast, healthy, inexpensive meal. Or, throw in shrimp, smoked sausage, rice & tons of cajun spices for something your bf may love.
    4) fresh fruit
    5) good salad green
    6) fresh & frozen spinach

This is not intended to be a complete grocery list, but just a small sample of suggestions that may help with your goals.
  • mygerber
    mygerber Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi this is my first post
    My favourite meal which can be made with any meat or fish is a tortilla wrap
    1x wrap £0.10p
    Ready wash and prepared salad bag £0.25p
    Tomatoes 20p
    Cucumber 20p
    Onion. 20p
    Yoghurt sauce. 20p
    Frozen tuna steak. 75p
    For the spicy option Chilli sauce, fry filling chilli

Can be made with left overs (mushrooms, meat or fish) eaten hot or cold
    Low fat and wraps keep for a long time. My favourite is tuna steak chilli and lemon juice made in 10 mins
    And feels like you are having a take out
    Cost is about £3 for 2 and about 400 calories.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend canned beans, brown rice, greek yogurt and cottage cheese (look for sales), eggs (look for sales), whole grain cereal (use coupons - you can almost always get cereal coupons!), whatever fruit is discounted (they'll often put a bag of bananas at half-price in my local supermarket once they start getting brown - and not only are bananas yummiest ripe, but you can freeze them for smoothies!)
  • andezz99
    andezz99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Add vegetables to every meal, they fill you up and are low in calories. I eat very basic, meat, vegetables, fruit, eggs and nuts. No empty carbs, wheat/grains products in my cart and no dairy. Dairy if fine for your baby but I assume you are full grown adults and can live without your milk and cereal (grain).

For many of my meat dishes I will look for example 6 chicken breasts at a time. I will take one large chicken breast and dice it up and serve it with guacamole on romaine lettuce with olives. That can serve two adults. I buy sweet potatoes and slice them in to fries, bake them and have them for a snack, much cheaper than French fries deep fried and healthy.

Ground beef or turnkey, cooked with crushed canned tomatoes, garlic, basic spices, and mushrooms stuffed into a red or yellow pepper gives you a filling meal with longs of healthy benefits.

I recently discovered spaghetti squash, which is just what it sounds like, a vegetable that when cooked, looks and tastes like spaghetti.

A natural diet will be cheaper and more filling then any processed foods you may be buying now. As you get used to cooking and eating this way you will get very creative with mixing and matching ingredients to come up with new dishes, will lose weight and feel great.

Check out Paleo diets of Whole30 on the web for ideas. You won't go hungry or broke.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    hmm my budget is roughly the same!

I don't have a kid but I do have a boyfriend. It's similar.

Mostly we buy packs of chicken breasts, bacon, pork loins, and ground beef. Other meats when on sale.
    Portion them up and freeze them.
    I buy lots of frozen veggies.
    I keep eggs, milkm cheese and an onion on hand.
    I also keep, rice, pastas, cans of tomato sauce, and loads of spices and oils in stock.

We also usually have cheap tortillas cuz the boy likes them and coffee because I'm addicted.
    We get lunch meat I buy it about 1lb at a time and get mid-grade stuff because cheap lunch meat is nasty and expensive is well, expensive!

I buy cottage cheese I eat almost every day and cereal for the boy.
    I buy nuts and trail mix - in bulk so I only have to get a little at a time.
    I also buy Clif bars, bananas, pumpkin, greek yogurt (in large tubs for savings) fresh squash (b/c damn that's yummy), and pizza dough.

Aside from the things like pumpkin & clif bars, this is sort of how I ate growing up. My mom didn't have a lot of money.
    She kept chicken, cheese, milk, pasta and frozen veggies n hand. And instant potatoes. lol
    Breakfast could be eggs and toast or cereal. Lunch sandwiches. Dinners chicken and veggies, chicken and pasta, spaghetti, home made burgers, home made pizzas, stir fry... I make curry often too.

I do not buy things like desserts, candies, sodas, chips, crackers (minus the veggies crackers I was eating for a while but those are getting phased out)

Adding in fresh fruit is always a good Idea I personally don't really eat it but I know people should!

Find a market in your town that sells decent produce for good prices and don't buy more than you know you will consume in a couple days.