Is there a Hummus Among Us?

Options
cldaughe
cldaughe Posts: 40 Member
I am desperately in need of a good hummus recipe. I usually buy the Athenos Roasted Red Pepper hummus, but paying nearly 6 bucks for it is killing me. So, if anyone has something comparable, I am ready to try it.

Also, for the hummus eaters out there, what do you use to dip/eat the hummus? Do you always use pita? Any suggestions for something to use other than pita?

Thanks!

Replies

• ldybugg
    ldybugg Posts: 134
    Options
    right now i have Sabra RRP. but they have other flavers 2. it was $3 at walmart by the deli. but ive seen it at other stores 2. I use Triscuits rosemary herb,carrots, or use it as a spread.
  • anderson8480
    Options
    i use it for dipping carrots in, or on my whole wheat wraps...
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    here you go babe. the recipe is in the first post.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/97366-homemade-hummus

hummus is fabulous as a salad dressing (add a bit of olive oil to thin), great with carrots and other crunchy veggies, as a spread on bread instead of butter, etc.
  • lmwhite3473
    Options
    Pretzel thins are good with hummus
  • catchtanya
    catchtanya Posts: 15
    Options
    Cherry tomatoes and cucumbers... YUM
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I buy garlic hummus from Trader Joe's. I use it as a condiment on chicken/turkey burgers or in my wraps. (1 tbsp which is plenty). I don't think it's enough of a snack so I don't usually use it that way.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I love hummus! I make a HUGE bowl of it every week and eat it on Ryvita crackers or dip carrot sticks or cucumber slices in it. I also use it as a dressing, thinned with some extra lemon juice or balsamic vinegar.

I like the proportions in Tosca Reno's recipe. So, that's basically what I do.

2 cups cooked chickpeas (I cook a whole bunch from dried and freeze them in 2 cup portions. SUPER cheap. But you could do canned too -- be sure to drain and rinse, though.)
    3-4 cloves garlic
    1 tsp salt
    1/3 cup tahini
    6 Tbsp lemon juice (yeah, I don't usually keep enough fresh lemons on hand so I use the Real Lemon juice.)
    1 Tbsp

Put in a food processor and pulse away. I've also used my blender. That worked fine but I needed to add just a bit of water to thin it out.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I love carrots in mine!! :happy: I'm about to attempt to make my own!! For the tahini, most say you can only find it in specialty/health stores but I got mine at Kroger in the international aisle close to Cajun stuff. It's a jar kind of like peanut butter, says "Tahina" and the rest is in Arabic, lol! Just a heads up 'cause I didn't think I'd find it but ONE lady out of three people (Glad the girl helping me kept asking people!) knew where it was.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    I dip everything in it. Mostly raw veggies. Taro chips, pepper strips, put it over rice, use as salad dressing.....

I:heart: hummus.
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    A recipe I have is: Blend or food process one 19 oz can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), 1/4 cup reserved liquid from the chickpeas, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 2 tablespoons minced garlic.

I like to eat pita chips or almost any type of veggies with my hummus.
  • redrumredrum
    Options
    One time I didn't have tahini at hand so I sprinkled some toasted sesame seeds and blended everything together. They didn't totally blend up but it gave the hummus a great texture. Now sometimes I'll sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds on top just for some texture.
  • donnaleecam
    Options
    I will have to try making it! How long does it keep in the refrigerator? Thanks!