Whey Protein

Options
I generally have a protein shake every morning for breakfast. I've been using Optimum Nutrition. I chose it because it seemed to have the best reviews online. I also know there are some more pure forms of Whey out there. Does anyone have any expertise in this? I am looking to tone up and maybe lose like 5 lbs.
Thanks

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I generally have a protein shake every morning for breakfast. I've been using Optimum Nutrition. I chose it because it seemed to have the best reviews online. I also know there are some more pure forms of Whey out there. Does anyone have any expertise in this? I am looking to tone up and maybe lose like 5 lbs.
    Thanks

Then incorporate resistance exercises and maintain a caloric deficit. Protein shakes alone don't do anything special
  • atosches
    atosches Posts: 22
    Options
    I do use resistance excercises and run 5 days a week and maintain a low calorie diet. I said, I use whey protein and was looking for a good one.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I do use resistance excercises and run 5 days a week and maintain a low calorie diet. I said, I use whey protein and was looking for a good one. Thanks for your unhelpful comment.

He was simply pointing out that a protein shake will not help you lose weight nor will it help you do anything to your muscles that you don't work for. It is a supplement and is used to reach your protein goals if you can't reach them elsewhere in your diet.

You need to lift weights to "tone" your muscles... which doesn't really happen but we understand what you mean by saying tone.

I personally don't know any other forms of whey. I don't rely on protein shakes. The one you use is generally thought of as a good mix.

However, you added in the comment about wanting to "tone" and lose like 5lbs so in order to do this you need to focus on the type of exercise you do. Adding this comment at the end makes it seem like you want a shake that will help you lose those 5lbs and help you "tone"... which a shake won't do. Lifting will help your muscles maintain their size as you work on some cardio and a proper deficit to lose those 5lbs.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I do use resistance excercises and run 5 days a week and maintain a low calorie diet. I said, I use whey protein and was looking for a good one. Thanks for your unhelpful comment.

Good thing that's exactly what you said you were looking for

"I generally have a protein shake every morning for breakfast. I've been using Optimum Nutrition. I chose it because it seemed to have the best reviews online. I also know there are some more pure forms of Whey out there. Does anyone have any expertise in this? I am looking to tone up and maybe lose like 5 lbs."
  • atosches
    atosches Posts: 22
    Options
    The only reason I added the tone and lose 5 pounds because I am not looking to gain by drinking the shakes. I exercise in the morning and I really like having shakes after my workout. I have a good workout routine already combining strength and cardio. I am not looking for the shakes to help me lose weight. I drink them, my goal is not to take in too many calories. I wanted to know a good brand. I see the misunderstanding...I think I just read your tone wrong.
  • brandonzeciri
    Options
    I love using this website and their store because the products are at a fair price and a lot of professionals rate the products.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/hit-supplements/core-evolution.html
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    ON is the best value. Dymatize Elite vanilla is also very good.

I also use Syntrax Matrix. It's a protein blend that has some other protein in it like egg that don't digest quite as quickly. It's a little more filling and it makes a thicker drink. The taste of it is very good.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You only gain when you eat in a surplus. If you want to tone, you want a small deficit (generally not a low calorie diet) and limit your cardio. Cardio is a high calorie burner, which requires you to eat more. YOu would be better off doing heavy weight training 4 days a week and cutting cardio to about 1-2. Eat about 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass and you will help retain your muscle.

I like designer whey, ON, EAS, muscle milk and body fortress. In then end, they all do the same thing.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Lean Active 7 is great and tastes amazing. I also use ON as my backup.

http://supplementreviews.com/nutracore/lean-active-7