? about suggested calories

Options
ok ive been a member for a while, got off track and didnt come on site for a while, well came back about 1.5 mnths ago, and then fell off again about 3 weeks ago due to some issues i was having, well im back and im starting over,

i went to figure out my suggested calories i should be consuming and it says 1750/ day im 236lbs and my goal is to lose 100lbs i put in to lose 1 lbs a week.... does this sound like to much?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    ok ive been a member for a while, got off track and didnt come on site for a while, well came back about 1.5 mnths ago, and then fell off again about 3 weeks ago due to some issues i was having, well im back and im starting over,

i went to figure out my suggested calories i should be consuming and it says 1750/ day im 236lbs and my goal is to lose 100lbs i put in to lose 1 lbs a week.... does this sound like to much?

What type of activity level did you put in, you get more calories if you put a higher activity level because its figuring in some cals burned during normal day
  • shawnalmil
    shawnalmil Posts: 137
    Options
    seditary....
  • amyday1
    amyday1 Posts: 35
    Options
    it depends on your height, age, weight, and activity level, I suggest you eat healthy and get close to it. See how that goes for a couple of weeks if your doing well then keep it up. If your not doing well, then drop down to 1500. and see how that goes..... but most important get moving. Good luck. : )
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Yup - that's about right. I'm weigh more than you, but have asked for 2/week. I'm allowed almost 1500/week. It's because of the amount of calories that you burn just breathing increases as your weight does. To lose 1 pound a week you have to consumer 3500 calories less per week than you burn. You can check your BRM to see what you burn without doing anything - then subtract ~500 from that and that's what it should be. If it's close, go for it. If it's way off, then I'm not sure
  • MandykinsK1980
    Options
    I am not much of a blogger, but the way i am doing it seems to be working! I am trying a couple of different things! Weight watchers combined with this! I have noticed that if I intake the proper amount of points weight watchers recommends, it almost exactly meets my calorie limit! If I work out or anything else, I add that in! You can find information all over the web about points programs and things of that nature. I have lost about 12.5 lbs in about 3 1/2 weeks which is more than I originally wanted to. I was retaining some water in my legs and that has gone away which I am sure was part of the initial loss! :wink: Either way, I have weighed in 3 total times since my initial and I have lost about 2.5 lbs each time beyond my first big loss!!! This has been the easiest way for me, and a couple of my co-workers that have decided to work on this all together!!! :smile:

Like I said there are SEVERAL sites that you can pick up the info for free (thats what I did) and I just make smarter food choices!!!

Starting weight: 241!!!!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    These are all general numbers...not everyone is the same, so take this all with a grain of salt:

Take your weight, multiply by 10...that is your RMR (resting metabolic rate...also referred to as BMR).

Then determine activity level...for sedentary, multiply your RMR X 10.

Then, for weight loss, reduce by 500 calories/day for a weight loss of 1 lb./week

So...for your weight:

236 X 10 = 2,360 (RMR)

2,360 X.10= 236 (activity level)

RMR + Activity level -500 = calorie intake
    2360 + 236 - 500 = 2096
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Sounds right to me, i'm 271 lbs, and said to lose 1.5 lbs/week and sedentary and it told me 1750 calories/day.
  • shawnalmil
    shawnalmil Posts: 137
    Options
    than you everyone for reasurring me..
  • dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Every body is different. My starting weight was 242 on a 5'2" frame. I was eating about 2,000 calories per day to support that weight. I tracked it using myfitnesspal on the iPhone. Since I want to lose 2 pounds a week, I took 1,000 calories off of that. For 1 pound a week, I would need to eat 1,500. So, yours sounds about right to me.