Women Lifters, I have a question for you

Options
I am not going to join a gym. The closest is 35 minutes away. What is the minimum equipment I need to lift at home?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What types of lifts do you want to do?

some routines are fine with kettlebells or adjustable dumbbells, or resistance bands, or even just body weight. Some things require a barbell and weight plates.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Check Craisglist for a power rack if you have the room. If not, a bench and various dumb bells is great, or even a barbell with various plates.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want to do. I have a bench, small rack, bar, plates and plate loadable dumbbells. I need a bigger bar (mine's a 3 piece 30 pound bar, I want a 45lb Oly bar and more plates for Mother's Day!), but this is what's worked for me. I honestly don't use the dumbbells that much, mostly because I don't have enough plates for them. If that seems like too much for you to purchase right now, get some adjustable dumbbells that will go up to a decent amount of weight. A lot of people like kettlebells and (heavy) resistance bands as well.
  • evans72002
    evans72002 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Whatever this NROLFW book tells me to do.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Whatever this NROLFW book tells me to do.

Doesn't it have a section that talks about required equipment? I've never read it, but I thought I'd head that somewhere...
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    ha ha I was just about to post a thread like this.
  • evans72002
    Options
    I don't know, I'm not that far into it on my kindle yet, but it seems very geared toward people at a gym. Any women who've done the program at home?
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I'm not that far into it on my kindle yet, but it seems very geared toward people at a gym. Any women who've done the program at home?

You will have to have access to a barbell, plates and squat rack (or some variation of) to complete NROLFW as it's designed.
    You can improvise some things with dumbbells, but if you want to follow the book as it's intended, you will need more than that.

Having said that, there are plenty of things you can do at home, as many stated above. But since your question was about the book, that's the part I answered. I picked up a barbell and weights at a second hand sporting goods store for a decent price.
  • RoamingDuck
    RoamingDuck Posts: 74
    Options
    I've read the book, and the author will prescribe some gym alternatives when you get into the actual routine portion of the book towards the end.
  • evans72002
    Options
    Thanks
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Check out "Body By You" which is the women's version of "You are Your Own Gym." Yes, there is an app for that...just under $2.00. ($1.99...as in one dollar and ninety nine cents) but I don't recommend the app without reading the book.