Fat Shaming and now.....HEALTH Shaming Obese People?

Options

Replies

• iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I think that most people are exposed to so many weight loss scams in the form of pills, exercise video's, fad diets, equipment, etc.. that it makes them skeptics. I know a person who had lap band surgery, lost over 100 lbs, and five years later, gained it all back. There's a basis for this perception.

You should expect people to be skeptical. However, it shouldn't bother you. Your losing weight for your own reasons, not for other peoples support or approval. Tell people your not losing the weight as a goal but as the by product of making better choices. If better choices leads you to a 105 pound body, so be it.

Great post. Totally agree. I'm also tired of the people who "complain" that you really should drop some weight but then fret that you've lost too much weight because you are approaching your goal weight. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    You are doing an amazing job. I wouldn't read anything negative directed at you into what she said. If someone told me he was a mountain climber and intended to climb Mt Everest, I would be amazed and ask about training and (possibly) if they really thought they would make it to the top - there are just so many obstacles. Of course, then I would wish them luck and demand to see pictures when they got back.

You basically told her that after all you had done you intended to try and lose about 100 pounds. That is more than most people can fathom - they are still working on thinking about losing 20. You are just aiming higher than they can envision.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    People who haven't gone through a moderate - big weight loss tend to be clueless about what it actually entails. And people have an idea in their heads of what 'losing 50 lbs.' looks like, not taking into account lean body mass, height, fat distribution, etc. And when they think like that, it's not at all based on logic or specifics, it could be based on their cousin who lost 50lbs and has completely different stats than you.
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous posts that when people are used to seeing you bigger, it's hard to get used to you at smaller sizes. Look at actors/singers that were heavier and who lost weight. They just look a little out of the ordinary, the longer they were overweight (Roseanne for instance). When I dropped a bunch of weight years ago, people told me I looked anorexic. I had a BMI of 24.9. I think that they were used to seeing me a little chubby for so many years it was hard to imagine me in tight fitting clothes that accentuatedmy new body.

Or maybe it was out of concern that you were setting unrealistic goals for yourself. I'm sure that you know plenty of people who look just fine outside of the normal BMI range, and are only above their goal weight because of strength training.

I'd just brush it off, and keep up the good work. Congratulations on your success so far!
  • shinesunfish
    shinesunfish Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I feel like you are taking this too personally. I have never heard of someone who was "shamed" for losing weight. It is universally met with awe, acclaim, and praise. I definitely do not think that your friend meant to imply that you were INCAPABLE of losing that much weight, only that, having become accustomed to you at a certain weight, she had a hard time picturing/imagining you at half your weight, and was skeptical that your body which once held 270 pounds could be capable of holding 115 pounds.

I have known plenty of people who have lost lots of weight (through various ways). Many of them lost a lot of weight, looked great, and then lost about 15 pounds more than that. As a friend, I have casually brought it up (several of these situations were not healthy weight loss). It's not shaming, it's making sure that people feel loved and accepted for who they are NOW, not who they will become.

Ultimately, if you are focused on health instead of weight loss (which it seems like you are), you'll hit the right weight for you. Keep up the good work!
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    As soon as you lose weight, everyone becomes a nutritionist or doctor. Ignore them. People like seeing other people fail or remain stagnant, because I'm sure there are things they want to change and don't - you're proof that change can happen.
  • RoamingDuck
    RoamingDuck Posts: 74
    Options
    I have encountered the same kind of thing. I don't understand it. I had one co-worker (who is naturally thin, might I add) that gave me a suspicious look every time she saw me and told me I was getting too skinny and "wasting away". Keep in mind, my BMI was still "overweight" at this point, and I was nowhere near my healthy range.

If anything, it had the opposite effect on me. It provided extrinsic motivation for me to push harder and maintain my weight loss. I did not want to FAIL in the eyes of these people who pretended to care about my well-being.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss.
    I feel like this wasn't really shaming, just a preconceived notion, perhaps about build or bone structure, which a lot of older people believe. For example, they really do feel like you can be "big boned" with LITERALLY bigger bones than a thinner person. I think my grandma feels this way about me. So maybe this lady was just coming from that place of old-wives tales and theories. That's my guess.

I really don't think she was shaming you in any way, and like another said, I think even your reaction to her comment was skewed a little because you note that she is very small. Personally, to me it seems like you think she was coming from a place of judgement when, if she was larger, you would have just perceived it as a conversation between two people talking about health and fitness.

I think your goal is definitely in range with a lot of hard work and obviously will take time. Personally, I used to think someone with a lot of weight to lose like you and I could never get down to that 115 range (I do think 135 is more attainable) but I have seen some success stories of people on here that have gotten into that range (I'm thinking specifically of triciab79). I really don't think it's impossible anymore, but I do think it is a hard goal. It just is! There's no denying that. But hard is sometimes worth it, obviously.

I think many people become satisfied with their bodies after losing a lot of weight like this in a higher range, say 135-155, but there is no reason to rearrange your goals if you think you can achieve it.

Don't worry about what other people think about your goal and you'll be ok.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    You answer those questions. It is submissive behavior, that is why they keep pressing with questions. They wouldn't ask those questions of your/their boss, because your boss would tell them it's none of their damn business.

You don't ask such a question to anyone unless they are far beneath you. They are getting that idea from your behavior.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I've never been clinically overweight yet know how difficult it can be to lose 10 lbs.

It is difficult for me to comprehend the level of commitment you need to lose as much as you've set for your goal. My guess is that their amazement is because they can't imagine anyone, including themselves, accomplishing what you've set out to do, not so much that they think that you, specifically, can't do it.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. It was sort of like the last straw. I was in the supermarket the other day, and I use a cart because I need knee surgery, and an elderly man came up to me and said look at that I am walking and you are riding. I am sure he was just tickled because he was doing so well, but i wanted to whack his kneecap with a cane.
  • andezz99
    andezz99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Your progress is impressive and shows that you do have the will power and determination to stay on course. You've already established a healthy lifestyle to lose that much. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what ignorant comments come your way, it's your road to travel.

I eat a very strict diet to the point where other people are almost offended by it. Why don't you eat dairy, why don't you eat wheat, have a beer...I travel a lot and I bring tuna and nuts with me just incase I end up with a group of people who want to eat at some place that doesn't meet my diet requirements. Even though my choices have no impact on what they are doing, it really sets people off sometimes.

Keep up your good work, don't worry about the co-workers who's monitoring your progress, she's probably never faced a real challenge in her life. :).
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I think you're being too sensitive.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. It was sort of like the last straw. I was in the supermarket the other day, and I use a cart because I need knee surgery, and an elderly man came up to me and said look at that I am walking and you are riding. I am sure he was just tickled because he was doing so well, but i wanted to whack his kneecap with a cane.

Ugh. That's beyond snide. Sorry you had to deal with that rude man!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I'd probably have just said 'If you can gain it you can lose it.'

It was a rude comment. I'm not sure how it would be defined as health shaming though.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was ~255-260 lbs, and I am down to ~136 lbs (BF 26%). I am 5'2", and my healthy BMI range is also ~115-135 lbs.

There are many examples on this website proving that it is possible for obese people to achieve a normal weight; perhaps you should show your co-worker some of the success threads?
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's possible she simply doesn't understand how weight loss works. There's something of a mentality that "big people will always be big" or "thin people will remain thin," but it's largely due to ignorance. I'll admit that I didn't understand it until I took the plunge and made a point to learn more.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I get stuff like this at work….

Did you get a donut?
    No I don’t want one today.
    Why you still on that diet?
    No I’m not on a diet.
    Then why don’t you want a donut?
    Just don’t.

Another day......

You want a brownie?
    No thanks.
    You still on that diet?
    No I'm not on a diet.
    I made them for my birthday.
    OK I’ll take a half of one, Happy Birthday.
    Thanks, No you have to have a whole one.
    I don’t want a whole one would you cut one in half for me?
    No these are one serving I’m not cutting them again....

These brownies were like 4'' sq. lol
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    As I said, I like this coworker. She and I are very friendly to each other. She's even shorter than me, so I think she's probably at a healthy BMI for her height. But as I mentioned, she is NOT the first person to ask that question. Others have asked this of me too. She just happened to be the third one this week....and not all of them were are small as her. But every single person that has asked me this question has squinted their eyes, scrunched their noses, and used an incredulous voice. It makes it feel like it's more rhetorical than an honest question.

So yes, a few weighing probably 150 lbs. have asked this week and I felt the same.

Then maybe take a different approach. Instead of telling them the weight you want to get to, just say that you are looking to have a healthy BMI, and that you aren't really sure what your final weight goal is as you are more interested in maintaining a healthy weight than being a slave to a scale.

I know this was offered with good intentions, but I disagree that you should tailor your responses to what someone else wants/needs to hear.

If you quote the number at them that you're aiming at, and ANYONE expresses incredulity at your goal of reaching a healthy BMI, then just dismiss their opinion. It matters NOT ONE BIT.

If you were aiming at a BMI that was in the underweight range, then perhaps someone who cares about you might express concern. But a healthy weight shouldn't be considered to be unrealistic for you simply based on your starting point.

We have members who have hit their goals, reached healthy BMI's, who had starting points further than yours. They can, you can, don't listen to negative nellys.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    This is one of my biggest pet peeves when people question your motivation. A lot of people don't think it was shaming - truthfully, I'm not sure that it was, but whatever it is - it isn't appreciated the way people question what you're doing - no matter if they were asking with the best of intentions or not -- sometimes it's just not appreciated the way people broach that. My parents said that too when the lap=band surgeon told me to lose 90 pounds before he'd put the band in. My mother was like, "If you could lose that kind of weight on your own, you wouldn't need it." Well - here I am 146 pounds later - no lap band still. I've gone from a BMI of about 65 or so to 39-something.. Now she's saying, "I knew when you set your mind to it, you'd get it done." I think she has memory lapses! LOL

Yesterday, I went by "the flyig cupcake" and got 1 (count them 1) cupcake just to try it to see how it was. I was curious. They put it in a chinese looking box (the kind they put steamed rice in or whatever). SHe asked if I went to a chinese place - I replied that no, it was a cupcake. SHe said, "DOn't tell me you're eating THAT sh&t again??!" As if it's any of her business. One cupcake will not ruin the whole newly developed lifestyle. A dozen might, but not 1 on one day just out of being curious. Never mind that I've about lost enough weight ot be skinnier than her now - the one who always eats soup, cheese and ritz crackers for lunch as if it was the healthiest thing on the planet. And she wonders why nobody ever talks to her much - she's such a busy body.

I would likely have said somehting like you did or: "Well, I've come this far, and there's no reason I can't continue on this path, so Yes. I think I can do it. Thanks for asking." and walk out.