My story 1 year later....

Options
I started using MFP in April 2012 when a couple of my coworkers told me about it. I reached my goal weight this week, so I figured it was time to tell my story.

I remember always being the chubby girl in school. I remember when a friend asked me what my fat roll was (I was around 8 probably) I told her it was extra skin. Like I was really going to tell her it was fat?! I had to come up with something. I was never obese but I was always the chubby girl.

At 19 I gave birth to my oldest son and became a single mom. I was a mess. During my pregnancy I gained 60 pounds. When my son was born and his father left, I did not have the time or money to take care of myself the way I should. I slipped into a depression. My mental state was really bad for a long time. I was nowhere near the best mom in the world. I would "self medicate" with alcohol and some drugs. I looked for acceptance from men and thus had some terrible abusive relationships. When I hit rock bottom, I found myself addicted to anything that would take the sadness and anger away and I was anorexic. I was eating 1 meal a day and that meal was the same portion that I was feeding my 4 year old son (we would split a can of spaghettios). I survived off of coffee and cigarettes mostly.

On Christmas night of 2007, I sat alone in my apartment and cried. How did I let myself get to this point and why did I hate myself so much? That was the night I decided I was done living that way. Over the next year, I quit my job as a bartender, stopped smoking, stopped drinking, stopped doing drugs, went back to school, moved far away from the poisonous people and got my life together. Of course, I gained some weight but I was not worried about that. I needed to get better so I could be the mom my son deserved.

I met the man that would become my husband in 2008. At the end of 2008, tragedy struck my family. The kind that you see on 20/20 or some show like that. I was determined to make it through without falling apart. And I did! I decided that if I could make it through something that terrible, I could try to go on a date. So, my husband and I went on our first date. It was amazing!

We got married and and our son was born. This pregnancy, I gained 50 pounds. Apparently I am not the kind of girl that can have a baby and 2 weeks later throw on her pre-pregnancy jeans. Try a couple years later. My weight went down and then up and then down and then up again for a while after our son was born.

Thats when my coworkers told me about MFP. That was a year ago. Here are my results:

SW: 174.4
SBMI: 27.4
CW: 140.2
CBMI: 21.9

Before:
33e5x69.jpg

trying to hide behind my kids
s4vuzb.jpg

trying to hide again, but look at my face!
1imkrd.jpg

at a wedding... I HATED my arms!
2qfzq.jpg

After:
same outfit as the first picture:
2uwy8.jpg

change in my face (holding my precious new nephew so Im cheesin big here)
2dp36u.jpg

from a size 12-14 to a size 6:
2z8yhol.jpg

hot new dress:
30u7o74.jpg

look at my baby muscles!
33l2x6t.jpg

My accomplishments:

I lost 34 pounds and 4 pant sizes
I can run! My first 10K is tomorrow!
I have confidence in myself that I never thought I would have. Not only do I know that I can do anything I want to do but I love me and who I am!
I AM PROUD OF MYSELF!!!

My new goals:

Tone, tone, tone!
Run a half marathon (registered for one in February 2014!)

MFP is awesome! Thank you all!

Replies

• j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    awesome!!
  • rebeccat42
    rebeccat42 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • RandomMiranda
    RandomMiranda Posts: 298
    Options
    what an amazing transformation, inside and out. Great work! I bet your older son will remember that change and he will be proud of you for it when he is old enough to understand what you did.
  • Luvmichnata
    Luvmichnata Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Congrats! What a great story. I'm glad things turned around for you :)
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You look great!!!!
  • shawnmaire74
    shawnmaire74 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look amazing. Congratulations and thanks for sharing. :)
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    So honored to be friends with you on here. Great story, very proud of you!
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yay for you! So inspiring to read your whole story. Thanks for sharing and being a great example of determination.
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Amazing! What a year you've had phsyically and emotionally...keep up the awesome work:) You are an inspiration!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I have followed much of your progress and I am so happy for you! You've been amazing to me along the way too, just so you know :)

You look fantastic, and I'll bet you feel as fantastic as you look. You're quite the role model for your family and they will be happy to have their healthy wife and mom around for a long time. Your decision to turn your life around when things got bad is really inspirational and it says a lot about your character.

Congratulations on your success, and thanks for being a great MFP friend. It's crazy how much the support helps. :flowerforyou:
  • sm423
    sm423 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Way to turn your life around, very inspirational. :)
  • aprmay
    aprmay Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Great job! You look really awesome. :)
  • HahnTBeth
    HahnTBeth Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome and a huge accomplishment to be very proud of!! Truly an inspiration!
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Your story is so inspiring! Thanks for sharing and you look amazing!
  • H0llyG0lightly
    H0llyG0lightly Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your hard work and success; you look super!
  • lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!! Congratulations!!:smile:
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Congratualations on all fronts!
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    What an amazing and inspiring story! Congrats on your success and here's to your continued progress!!!!
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I love your story...thanks for sharing and congrats
  • brittanylock09
    brittanylock09 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! You are AMAZING!!! So proud of the life changes you have made!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!