Anyone else frustrated by "All I did was..." posts?

Options
enitsirhck
enitsirhck Posts: 36 Member
Here and on many other sites I always see posts like "I just stopped drinking soda and I lost 15 lbs!" or "All I did was switch from full fat to skim and I lost 5lbs!" and it's getting really frustrating to me.

I only drink water (at least 2Q a day) or plain unsweetened loose tea (maybe 2 cups of coffee a week, if that). I only use unsweetened almond milk in cooking. I eat mostly clean, I hardly ever eat red meat, I take my vitamins, I count my calories, my only vice is going over on sugar sometimes and even then, it's still usually under 35-40g a day. I calculated my exact protein/fat/carb needs and most days I hit them as close as possible, I almost never eat my exercise back, I NEVER get even CLOSE to maintenance calories, I work out 4-5 days a week and while I know I'm getting stronger, neither my measurements nor my weight has changed at all in over 2 months.

I keep telling myself the only thing missing from the equation is patience, but I've been eating mostly-clean for years and I don't know how much else I can cut without driving myself insane - I'm already close to that point when I get mad at myself for eating HALF A HANDFUL OF RAISINS as a CHEAT.

Anyone else in the same boat? Any advice or suggestions? One condition, anyone who mentions Keto diet is going to get smacked.

Replies

• craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    What is your bf%? If you have a low bf% it becomes much harder to shed.

Get checked out by a doctor, I'm finding that medical reasons are alot more common than people think.

Have you really calculated what your exercise calories are? Are they dropping you lower than 1200 calories, that seems to be a trend in people sometimes in that when they don't eat back and their exercise drops them too low they don't lose.

I'm sure others know better, this is just what I've gotten from reading alot of posts here.
  • enitsirhck
    Options
    Based on my last recorded measurements, my BF% is approx 26%. I use a heartrate strap/watch (Polar F7) so I have a roughly accurate calorie count from my exercise, I also wore the strap for 24 hours and roughly my daily, non-exercising calories was about 1900-2000, average for a 5'4" female. You probably can't see my diary, it's public but since about 8am this morning it's been telling me "Site Under Maintenance". I usually don't eat back my calories, so yeah, most days I'm under 1200, some days I'm under 1000, but I don't typically feel "starved".
  • craigmandu
    Options
    Based on my last recorded measurements, my BF% is approx 26%. I use a heartrate strap/watch (Polar F7) so I have a roughly accurate calorie count from my exercise, I also wore the strap for 24 hours and roughly my daily, non-exercising calories was about 1900-2000, average for a 5'4" female. You probably can't see my diary, it's public but since about 8am this morning it's been telling me "Site Under Maintenance". I usually don't eat back my calories, so yeah, most days I'm under 1200, some days I'm under 1000, but I don't typically feel "starved".

I've read ALOT of posts on these boards, and I tend to give them alot of credit for actual experience and not some wild opinions, and I've seen many posts of people that like you, don't eat back exercise calories and then as a course of doing more and more exericse simply put their body too low in daily caloric intake to keep their bodies from holding onto the stored fat.

I would suggest, and this is merely a suggestion, that you keep a good track of the EXERCISE calories, not a full 24hr burn, as most of that should be factored into your calorie settings. I would ensure that I didn't drop below 1200 on any day, after exercise.

If you do that for a month, and are gaining and not staying the same or losing, then switch back.... According to your calorie settings on MFP, what is your daily needs, and how are you setup....sedentary, lightly active, and what is your weight loss rate set to? If it's calculating your needs at say 1500 (remember your deficit is already built into the calculation), even 1200 might be too low...I know that sound very counter-productive, but I've seen alot of people use it to start dropping where they couldn't before.
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're eating enough. If your daily caloric burn is almost 2000 calories and you're only eating 1000-1200 AND working out - your body is starving.

You need to up your caloric intake.....it sounds funny at first but try it. Up your caloric intake to 1,600 - 1,800 for a week or two and see what happens.
  • enitsirhck
    Options
    My settings are custom, 1,318 calories a day, I used this forum post to generate that and the following values:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

148g protein/d 45%
    44g fat/d 30%
    82g carbs/d 25%
    'I have it set to sedentary because I am sitting down roughly 14 hours a day thanks to work and my commute. Basically the only time I'm not sitting or laying down is during my work outs.

I also wanted to say thank you for taking the time to respond and offer advice :)

EDIT: For easier clarification, here are my calculations:
    Katch McArdle
    Weight = 130lbs = 59KG
    BF% (Roughly) 26.75%
    = 1307kcal min
    *1.2 (Activity) = 1568kcal

-250/day for .5lb loss per week = 1318kcal

Protein
    2.5g p kg = 147.5g

Fats
    .75g p kg = 44.25
    1g p kg = 59

Carbs
    carb cals = Total cal needs - ([protein grams above x 4] + [fat grams above x 9])
    carb grams = (above cals)/ 4

1318- 590 - 398.25 = 331.75
    331.75/4 = 82.9375
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this will be helpful, but when you say
    I've been eating mostly-clean for years and I don't know how much else I can cut without driving myself insane - I'm already close to that point when I get mad at myself for eating HALF A HANDFUL OF RAISINS as a CHEAT.

Maybe take a break and try to eat at maintenance for a week or two? Stress is no good for weight loss. :)
  • Dana31601
    Dana31601 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Another vote for you aren't eating enough. Increase your calories and see what happens. You are starving your body...you need to at least NET your BMR, which you aren't doing.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    one other thought is that I think sometimes people are not measuring their portions.
  • craigmandu
    Options
    one other thought is that I think sometimes people are not measuring their portions.

That's true, but the OP is striking me as someone who is definitely measuring their consumption levels.

Try doing an eat-back routine for your exercise for a few weeks and see what happens...if you aren't cheating yourself, and I don't think you are by the stuff you've said so far, I would think you would drop at least 2 lbs over a 30 day period.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    bump
  • enitsirhck
    Options
    I wanted to thank everyone for all the advice, I'm still interested in seeing more posts on the topic, but just as a follow up, I am going to increase my daily by I guess about 200 calories to 1500 and see how that works, I'm just going to keep telling myself it's food for my muscles.
  • TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    Options
    Maybe you should start drinking soda and whole milk instead of water for 6-10 years. Then switch back to water and I bet you'll start shedding weight quick!
  • craigmandu
    Options
    I took another look at all your information...

You are 5'4", 130, and 26 years old, that puts you in a healthy BMI category.

Ask yourself what you are trying to get out of your weight loss. Are you really looking to lose more weight, or are you really looking to "firm" up your body?

The reason I ask is I don't know what kind of exercise you do, and you are obviously not overweight currently.

If I were a trainer, I would probably put you on a maintain diet and start down a simple strength routine to help develop your body, and create a sleeker appearance.
  • Jennifer8348683
    Jennifer8348683 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I agree on the not eating enough. You have to eat back the calories you burn during exercise to keep your metabolism running properly. It took me a while to trust that....but it works for me. I eat my calories back and I still loose. Try it..you'll feel a lot better too. You must be feeling run down trying to work out on 1200 calories. I was.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're eating enough. If your daily caloric burn is almost 2000 calories and you're only eating 1000-1200 AND working out - your body is starving.

You need to up your caloric intake.....it sounds funny at first but try it. Up your caloric intake to 1,600 - 1,800 for a week or two and see what happens.

I looked at her diary and she's eating more than 1000-1200, at least she has been for the past week or so. And she eats high protein. If the past few days are typical, it's unlikely her body is starving.
  • JRadd14
    JRadd14 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yes, we're all different and sometimes it helps for me to think of myself as "one giant chemistry experiment"... We are complex creatures and there are so many variables that effect our weight. Are you losing inches? How do your clothes feel? Are you drinking enough water? Do you get enough sleep? How often do you eat a day? What do you do for workouts?

I too sometimes get frustrated, but I try to keep it from becoming desperate and manic because some days I do feel like that....

Def. try upping calories a bit.
    We can all improve... find out where you can.
    Try new foods, maybe more good fats or protein would help...
    And above all, relax and remember, it's about what you do "most of the time" - those are the things that will show change...

~j
  • craigmandu
    Options

I looked at her diary and she's eating more than 1000-1200, at least she has been for the past week or so. And she eats high protein. If the past few days are typical, it's unlikely her body is starving.

However, if you look at her exercise calories earned for many days she is earning ALOT of extra calories from exercise.

Now if that exercise is being recorded correctly and accurately, there are many days where she is well below 1000, and sometimes even in the 8-900 range.

She isn't overweight right now in the first place.
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    , I almost never eat my exercise back,

Stop that.
    You MUST put that burnt off energy back. You need extra food to fuel the extra work you're doing.

As someone else said, too, it was hard for me to trust that, but once I started to eat more, the results started to come finally.
    You cannot be afraid to eat. Take me for example... my TDEE is around the range of 1800-2100. BMR around 1300-1400 or so.

My daily calorie goal is about 1350 give or take a few in either direction. But if I have a highly active day and I burn out 300-500 calories, I eat enough so that my NET calories is around that 1350 number which means I might be eating 1800-2000 depending on my activity level. You will NOT NOT NOT gain weight if you replce your exercise calories. I have lost 13 pounds already this way. Before I started eating the correct NET number (Net = Total Calories minus calories burned), I lost NOTING, zip zero zilch NADA.
  • jiggsauce
    jiggsauce Posts: 4
    Options
    Do you do a lot of weightlifting/strength training? Your post didn't say, but at a certain point cardio is not going to shed pounds like it once did. A good strength training routine 2-3 times a week (out of your 5 workouts) would probably be much more effective at your current weight than cardio workouts or cardio + very light weights.

You'll be building muscle, so probably you won't knock many numbers off the scale, but you would definitely notice a difference in your measurements.
  • craigmandu
    Options
    Do you do a lot of weightlifting/strength training? Your post didn't say, but at a certain point cardio is not going to shed pounds like it once did. A good strength training routine 2-3 times a week (out of your 5 workouts) would probably be much more effective at your current weight than cardio workouts or cardio + very light weights.

You'll be building muscle, so probably you won't knock many numbers off the scale, but you would definitely notice a difference in your measurements.

She is according to her exercise diary...which is kind of sporatic, so I'm not sure if she isn't recording every day or if the strength training itself is sporadic.

I would absolutely continue with a regimented strength plan. And start eating those exercise cals back, make it your goal for your net to be the 1318, you get a good amount of protein, so I don't think you need anymore there.