I cant stop picking!! Help!!!

Options
I work at a restaurant and as you can imagine it is hard to diet working at a place like that!!!

I am really good with counting my calories when eating meals and snacks however I just cant stop picking little bits of food at work! Like when somethings cooked wrong etc I just cant see it go to waste!!! I dont know what to do. I dont think having snacks on me like bags of nuts etc will help! I need to re train my mind!!!

Any ideas how?!?!!

Replies

• capturethemoments3
    Options
    Try chewing gum, if you already have something in your mouth you will be less likely to munch.
  • julia23
    julia23 Posts: 87
    Options
    Chewing gum, bottled water ice cold it stops you getting hungry, or some dried fruit flakes they're amazing and one of your 5 a day.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I can't remember where I read it...could've been here, I dunno...anyway, it was that thinner people don't worry about wasting food or having leftovers on their plates. Most of us have been taught not to waste. Start repeating to yourself, it's ok to let it go, throw it away.
    I've learned that anything that goes into your mouth counts. Anything and everything!! Even water...not with calories, but it counts towards the total consumed. It took me a bit to learn not to lick the spoon or knife after using it. I didn't want to have to try to calculate the amount or go over my totals.
    Really, just immediately throw it away and if that's not an option, walk away!!
  • κόσμος
    Options
    carry the gum with you and when you see something you want, put the gum in your mouth instead. that way it'll still have all its flavor and you won't want that gum to go to waste! (your money vs. the restaurants) drinking water helps a ton too. if you think you're hungry, drink a glass of water and then see if you still are.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Yes with the gum...you could also keep a little toothpaste with you and taste a little or brush your teeth every chance you get....you know how terrible EVERYTHING tastes after you've brushed.
  • S_H84
    S_H84 Posts: 75
    Options
    I have actually read somewhere that gum can increase the hunger.....
    I would instead drink a lot of water . However, it is actually just a mind thing. You can make the cognitive decision NOT to pick on food. Next time you have the urge try it...... Simply say no, I don't need to eat it.
    I know it sounds stupid but we let our urges take over when all it takes is some effort to make the decision not to.

Good luck :)
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I work at a restaurant and as you can imagine it is hard to diet working at a place like that!!!

I am really good with counting my calories when eating meals and snacks however I just cant stop picking little bits of food at work! Like when somethings cooked wrong etc I just cant see it go to waste!!! I dont know what to do. I dont think having snacks on me like bags of nuts etc will help! I need to re train my mind!!!

Any ideas how?!?!!

I feel ya.. I work at a bakery. (and before that lots of restaurants, chef by trade) Luckily I'm too busy during the day to munch.. and we're allowed limitless donuts and coffee.. AH! So far the only munchin has been to try a new product... evil... bailey's cream cake.. *drools*... and I brought home some donuts/pastries today...

I agree with the water.. and dried fruit. Even some nuts... even if candied.. tee hee. good luck!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I have actually read somewhere that gum can increase the hunger.....
    I would instead drink a lot of water . However, it is actually just a mind thing. You can make the cognitive decision NOT to pick on food. Next time you have the urge try it...... Simply say no, I don't need to eat it.
    I know it sounds stupid but we let our urges take over when all it takes is some effort to make the decision not to.

Good luck :)

Gum makes me sooooo hungry. Sometimes I chew it so I can have the appetite to eat the rest of my calories if I'm running low. :)

I say just throw it away. Do it quick! Pick it up and chunk it in the trash. I really don't think you'll stick you're hand back in the trash bag to get it. Lol. Good luck!!
  • laura11248
    laura11248 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I know I have a problem when preparing food for my girls. Dinner they pretty much eat what I do but lunch is a different story. It totally doesn't matter what it is...I still feel obligated to taste. The gum idea works for me but now I just discovered I have TMJ and cannot chew gum. I just bought mints...we shall see!