What do I eat to get calories?

Options
I'm having a hard time making my calorie goal. If I make 1000 I'm super excited (I'm supposed to get at least 1200 calories per day). I can't figure out what to eat that is high in calories, but low in fat and sugar.

Replies

• michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Uh, HELLO?!? Pizza Hut!!! I thought getting the extra thin and crispy pizza, with extra sauce and very little cheese would NOT be 250 calories per slice, go to a restaurant, isn't this what got us here in the first place? Two slices and some wings=750 calorie dinner!!! GRRRR!!! Hahaha!!
  • pink92307
    pink92307 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would try a shake, like a Slimfast or Ensure, that would add up to an extra 200-300 cals and be nutrionally sound too.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    nuts are always a good option, there is the energy blend very yummy 1/4 of a cup is over 100 close to 2 actually very very yummy

also,

fruit smoothies is a good option
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Healthy foods! What is your base calorie goal? An easy way to use up calories is a banana with some peanut butter. You may go over on sugar but as long as you're eating a natural peanut butter (ONLY peanuts and maybe some oil on the ingredient list), it's better than something else. You could also as pink said, incorporate a protein shake. Use it after you work out and just put it in some 2% or skim milk. Again with the sugar, but they're more natural sugars so I wouldn't worry about it as long as you're meeting your calorie goal - I think that's more important than going over on sugar.
  • MakeLifeBright
    Options
    Try some almonds!! ;)
  • funnygrrl
    funnygrrl Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    fruit is always a good option. some of them maybe be high in sugar but they are natural sugars, so that's ok. peanut butter is also a good option. there is also plenty of great options that are low fat and fun to eat (yogurt is a good one) that still help you bump up your calorie intake

1026866.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Cassandra1219
    Options
    String cheese.. yogurt.. eggs... fruit.. peanut butter
  • kickitlarson
    kickitlarson Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Bananas & Dates!! Make a smoothie of 3 bananas & 5 dates - that's 650 calories, full of pure energy, tons of nutrients, lots of fiber, easy to digest, and will leave you full, happy, & healthy!!! Nuts are fattening!!!
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    One thing I did when I was having trouble hitting my calorie goal (after I had trouble staying within my calorie goal:ohwell: ) was to switch to regular dairy products, and to cut out all the "diet" food. If it says "low fat," "reduced fat," "health," etc., but isn't a natural food (i.e. fresh fruits, veggies, and meats ) I stopped eating it. I went back to regular milk rather than skim, regular cheese, regular sour cream, regular bread. . . . You get the picture. Also, the nuts are a great idea. You can also add nut butters for snacks and good oils when cooking. Two tbsp of peanut butter with an apple is around 300 calories, plus it has fiber, vitamins, protein, and "good" carbs. If you want some more ideas of what I've done, just let me know!

Keep up the good work!:flowerforyou:
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    chobani yogurt, nuts, edamame, avacados.. I say stay away from Pizza Hut but thats just me....
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Bananas & Dates!! Make a smoothie of 3 bananas & 5 dates - that's 650 calories, full of pure energy, tons of nutrients, lots of fiber, easy to digest, and will leave you full, happy, & healthy!!! Nuts are fattening!!!

As long as they are done in moderation (isn't that the key to everything?), the oils and fats in nuts are good for your heart, brain, hair, skin, nails. . . . The list goes on. SOME fat is required in our diets to keep things running correctly. The key is to pick good fats. Nut fats= good, animal fats= not as good, fake chemical fats (in general fried stuff, cheesy puffs, chips, etc.)= bad.
  • mom2boyzinaz
    Options
    avacados, nuts, good fat
  • ciaobella47
    ciaobella47 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling it too. I'll end up with 300 or 400 calories after dinner. While you need the calories you don't want to just eat any old fatty thing! Right? Here's a couple of my go to's. I'm glad you brough this up, I could definitely use more ideas.

fat free cottage cheese (and tomatoes, or pears, etc, etc)
    fat free greek yogurt (with stevia and a few raspberries)
  • roxie0920
    roxie0920 Posts: 41
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • resinite
    resinite Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm having a hard time making my calorie goal. If I make 1000 I'm super excited (I'm supposed to get at least 1200 calories per day). I can't figure out what to eat that is high in calories, but low in fat and sugar.

You asked: "high in calories, yet low in fat and sugar."

Learn about whole grains like quinoa, millet, and brown rice. These tasty, whole grain, nutrition-packed, unrefined "good carbs" will give you energy and get your calories up.

Easy to cook, like rice. Eaten as a side dish, like rice. Add some flavor by mixing in some tomato and onion, and/or other herbs and spices.
  • kickitlarson
    Options

As long as they are done in moderation (isn't that the key to everything?), the oils and fats in nuts are good for your heart, brain, hair, skin, nails. . . . The list goes on. SOME fat is required in our diets to keep things running correctly. The key is to pick good fats. Nut fats= good, animal fats= not as good, fake chemical fats (in general fried stuff, cheesy puffs, chips, etc.)= bad.

She asked for low fat. The fat in nuts is usually rancid by the time it reaches the consumer especially if they have been roasted or heated in any way. They are really hard to digest as well. But yes animal fat is horrible. I do have a handful of raw nuts sometimes but I would rather get my fat from avocados as they are more fresh. I wouldn't however use overts as a form of packing in calories....they are 70%+ fat....I don't want to be 70%+ fat so I'm not going to take chunks of calories from sources such as this. I rather keep my fats under 10% since that's what I would like my body to look like.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't however use overts as a form of packing in calories....they are 70%+ fat....I don't want to be 70%+ fat so I'm not going to take chunks of calories from sources such as this. I rather keep my fats under 10% since that's what I would like my body to look like.

I really think it needs to be pointed out that it's not eating fat that makes you fat but eating excess calories. You could lose weight eating 1400 calories (if that's your calorie limit) of avocado and almonds and olive oil (altho not very nutritionally sound :)) just as easily as eating 1400 calories of baked chicken, apples, a huge bowl of lettuce, and whole grain toast.
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    Definitely avocado or a handful of nuts. Are you focusing on "diet" food? If you are, try things like normal yogurt rather than low fat/low cal - it tastes SO much better than the watery fake stuff and IMHO is worth doubling the calories for (particularly if you're looking for calories!)
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Dark 70% organic chocolate is my treat of choice at the end of a good day, as long as my calorie count allows. You would have to be careful about the fat content of course, but I've read that the health benefits are worth it!
  • kickitlarson
    Options
    I wouldn't however use overts as a form of packing in calories....they are 70%+ fat....I don't want to be 70%+ fat so I'm not going to take chunks of calories from sources such as this. I rather keep my fats under 10% since that's what I would like my body to look like.

I really think it needs to be pointed out that it's not eating fat that makes you fat but eating excess calories. You could lose weight eating 1400 calories (if that's your calorie limit) of avocado and almonds and olive oil (altho not very nutritionally sound :)) just as easily as eating 1400 calories of baked chicken, apples, a huge bowl of lettuce, and whole grain toast.

Well MFP says I only need to eat 1800 calories however I have been eating 2200+calories of fruit and still losing weight. So the excess fruit calories somehow aren't making me gain weight. If I would eat 2200 calories of avocado I know I would gain weight. %fat is the difference of being a skinny fat person (someone who looks thin but is really blubber or their blood is full of fat) and a someone who doesn't need the fat and is actually fit & healthy. You are what you eat. You eat fat....