I Just Can't Manage to Lift More (SL5X5)

Options
MrsBach
MrsBach Posts: 34 Member
I've officially maxed out on every 5x5 strength exercise. I can do all of these 5x5.

Squat 155 (I've done 160 and 165, but not parallel)
Deadlift 175
Overhead 65
Row 75
Bench 80

I keep trying to do more, but just can't. Today's attempt to do a 185 pound deadlift was an utter failure. I can do 1x5 at 175, but I can't even get 185 off the ground. I really wanted to do it too, because with a 45 and a 25 on each end of the bar, I felt impressive!! Hey everyone! Look at me!

Now I wonder if I should keep going at these weights till I can add more, or should I deload and increase incrementally.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Have you done a deload recently?
  • MrsBach
    Options
    Only for bench press and only because it's the only exercise that exacerbates a problem I have with my shoulder, so I need to be careful there.

But because I can complete 5x5 I'm unsure a deload will get me any closer to getting over this plateau.
  • IMD918
    IMD918 Posts: 49
    Options
    Try doing 4 sets of 5, and if you can continue to about 8 reps on the last set, then move up in weight.
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    If your making it to 5 reps for each set you should be able to increase it by 5 Ibs....maybe you'll fail at the 4-5th set but at least you lift more
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Switch to a 3x5 for a bit, see if that helps.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Have you considered fractional plates?
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I would do a deload week for all exercises. Just do 2x5 or 3x5 at 60-70% of your 5 rep max.
    How long have you been on the program?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I do 3x5 plan. After that I believe you need to switch from a beginner program to an intermediate program like Wedler?? 5/3/1
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I would deload on everything. It's helped me get over plateaus. Deloading gives your CNS a break. A lot of people on here deload every 6-8 weeks or so.

Also, switch to 3x5, as others have advised.

Good luck!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    SS and SL aren't my forte, but I believe after you've maxed out, deloaded twice and continue to max out, you're supposed to start going 3x5. That's what I think I read somewhere, but once again, not my area.

Can someone more familiar confirm? Or debunk?
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting the program and a long way from plateauing, but what's a deload and how does it help?
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Only for bench press and only because it's the only exercise that exacerbates a problem I have with my shoulder, so I need to be careful there.

But because I can complete 5x5 I'm unsure a deload will get me any closer to getting over this plateau.

In a nutshell:

Deload 10% and work back up. If you fail again, deload again. If you fail the third time, it's time to start looking at an intermediate program.

But come over to the SL for Women group that was linked and talk there. There's a lot of experienced women there who can make suggestions.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    SS and SL aren't my forte, but I believe after you've maxed out, deloaded twice and continue to max out, you're supposed to start going 3x5. That's what I think I read somewhere, but once again, not my area.

Can someone more familiar confirm? Or debunk?

3x5 for the win!
  • MrsBach
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. Most of you seem to agree that I'm ready to move on to 3x5s. I think I'll try a deload and if I stall at the same weight, then I'll try 3x5s.

iceey - a deload is reducing the weight you failed on by 10%. You start again at the new lower weight and go up in increments again, and, hopefully, past the point where you previously failed.

grantdumas7 - I've been at this for 12 weeks. However, there was a 2-week period when I was miserably ill and couldn't get to work or the gym, so I deloaded when I started back up and it all worked out fine.
  • egarrett8911
    Options
    In for the good advice
  • RobertHendrix
    RobertHendrix Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting the program and a long way from plateauing, but what's a deload and how does it help?

A deload is when you lower the amount of weight you are lifting because you have not completed 5x5 on the lift and continue progressing from there

Example Bench is at 100lbs
    on Mon you do 3x5,1x4,1x3
    On Fri you do 4x5, 1x3
    On Wed you do 4x5, 1x4
    Now since you have stalled 3 consecutive times on the same weight you would deload by 10% so on your next bench day you would do 90lbs and continue working from there adding the 5lbs each bench day until you hit a weight that you stall at for 3 consecutive days of that lift.

Once you work back to the weight you stalled at if you stall on it again you repeat the the deload. If you work back to that weight and stall a third time then it is time to move to a 3x5 routine for that lift and you may consider adding in some other lifts to help supplement that lift (ie for bench you may want to add in some chest work, or pushups depending on if you are strugling on lifting the weight off your chest or struggling once you get half way up with completing the extension).

The same goes from moving from a 3x5 to a 1x5 routine. Once you hit a triple stall on a 1x5 routine it is time to look into an advanced routine for that muscle group. It is possible to be on different routines for each lift. You could still be doing a 5x5 for squat and deads while having already moved to a 3x5 for OHP and Bench.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Are you signed up for Mehdi's e-mails? He has an e-mail about breaking through plateaus. PM me if you'd like me to forward it to you. I don't just wanna paste it in here because it's kind of lengthy.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Tag
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    google pre workout thunderbolt or get some vitamin B3 niacin down you and you ll smash it that day not a week later .