Problems with boosting metabolism/calorie intake

Options
I know I'll probably get bashed on for this, but I can admit to my own fault that I was definitely under eating and starving my body in order to lose a few pounds. I ate around 500-600 calories a day and thought it was enough, felt full etc. Now I'm having an extremely hard time trying to eat more in order to boost my metabolism and be healthy. Supposedly, because I have a sedentary lifestyle and do not exercise, my calorie take at its MINIMUM should be 1200 calories, and I can barely hit that in a day. It's a struggle and food fills me up too much, to the point where I don't want to eat more. Either way, the more I read online, I see different numbers of what I should be eating, 1200 calories, 1500+ calories, etc. I'm slowly working my way up but I'm not sure how much I should be taking in in the first place. I rarely exercise, sometimes rollerblade 30 mins or walk but you can imagine how weak I've been through my stupid calorie deficit, I've spent most of this month in bed unable to move from lack of energy and sleep. Those 25ish pounds I lost weren't really worth it, but I currently weigh 154 pounds and my weight has been stable, and now I have this fear that if I eat more I'll gain a lot and go back to starving etc. I'm also very tall, 5'11 so I'd imagine that those 2 factors strongly impact my calorie intake. Can anyone give advice or tips because I'd appreciate it strongly. Cheers

P.S. I know I'll have people point out that this is a healthy weight considering my height, but I still want to burn off my fat, I rarely saw any physical changes when I lost weight probably because I lost muscle and not fat and I'm just not in good shape!

Replies

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat more and lose some fat, do some type of resistance exercises. You don't have to lift weights if you're scared of them. Pushups, situps, and planks will do just fine.
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It's not so hard to increase your calories if you just eat the natural things. Let's say like eggs, use regular eggs instead of substitutes, drink regular whole milk, regular cheese, regular cottage cheese and so on. All those fats are really good for your body. Big difference between that kind of fat than the fat in pizza or burgers. Also you can up your calories by upping your protein, such as peanut butter. 1 or 2 tablespoons alone is around 170 calories. 1 peanut butter sandwich will be great for you. Before you know it your calories will increase. Please feel free to friend me. I'm more than happy to help in any way I can. I've learned so much myself since I started on MFP. Another thing is that once your calories increase your body is going to be so happy. All it wants is to manage your organs and keep you safe.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    It's not so hard to increase your calories if you just eat the natural things. Let's say like eggs, use regular eggs instead of substitutes, drink regular whole milk, regular cheese, regular cottage cheese and so on. All those fats are really good for your body. Big difference between that kind of fat than the fat in pizza or burgers. Also you can up your calories by upping your protein, such as peanut butter. 1 or 2 tablespoons alone is around 170 calories. 1 peanut butter sandwich will be great for you. Before you know it your calories will increase. Please feel free to frind me. I'm more than happy to help in any way I can. I've learned so much myself since I started on MFP.
    Agree with above. Also, adding a handful of nuts will up your calories or adding avocado to salads/sandwiches. There are little things that will add a decent amount of calories if you look for them. Even things like pizza and burgers aren't bad for you in moderation or even better if they're homemade and you know what went into them.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Pizza, burgers, eggs, ice cream, cheese, steak, avocado, and beer. If you can't hit 1200 then you're not trying hard enough.
  • KAYRRIE
    Options
    Pizza, burgers, eggs, ice cream, cheese, steak, avocado, and beer. If you can't hit 1200 then you're not trying hard enough.

Sounds good however, men lose weight much faster then women because of your muscle to fat ratio unlike women who hold more fat than muscle. So some of the foods you mentioned would be something our bodies would store in turn taking us longer to burn.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options

Sounds good however, men lose weight much faster then women because of your muscle to fat ratio unlike women who hold more fat than muscle. So some of the foods you mentioned would be something our bodies would store in turn taking us longer to burn.

No, he's right. All food is turned into glycogen. Glycogen is stored in muscles in both males and females alike. Anything in excess is stored as fat, regardless of what kind of food it is. Best thing you can do is maintain a caloric deficit and exercise. And really, it's best to have both aerobic and anaerobic exercise. High impact cardio burns glycogen, but anaerobic burns more fat. That's because fat burning requires oxygen. Although there are many weight lifters that will tell you all you need is anaerobic.

Hamburger or giant salad....doesn't matter. Your body will process both in the very same way.

Here's an interesting article on the subject:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/Exercise-Metabolism-Energy/a/Does-The-Fat-Burning-Zone-Burn-Fat-Faster.htm
  • wafflemeister14
    wafflemeister14 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was in the EXACT SAME situation as you.
    I went from 300-400 cals a day to 1200. I gained a pound or 2 in the first week or so but have been losing more since!
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    well this Saturday I have an 8 hr endurance race and have to try to eat around 3500 cal that day lol 1200 is pretty easy to do just eat peanut butter, bread, fruit, butter, protein shakes makes it pretty easy. I believe my diary is open if you want to look at it.
  • idagaines
    idagaines Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am stuck in that same situation right now. At first I was taking in 500cal/day and working my butt off. Saw little change and I was becoming very weak. So I upped my calorie intake a little bit more. Still no change. But I'm getting more tired and the scale stopped completely. Im very frustrated! I'm so scared to eat 1200 and get fat! I don't know what to do. I eat less and cant lose weight; I eat more and start to gain.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    increase your activity, drink more water look at your salt intake, you body will have a hard time burning cals if it do's not have enough fuel like a car that has run out of gas, if there is no gas it cannot function and your body is the same way. And open your diary so others can see what you are eating.
  • KAYRRIE
    Options

No, he's right. All food is turned into glycogen. Glycogen is stored in muscles in both males and females alike. Anything in excess is stored as fat, regardless of what kind of food it is. Best thing you can do is maintain a caloric deficit and exercise. And really, it's best to have both aerobic and anaerobic exercise. High impact cardio burns glycogen, but anaerobic burns more fat. That's because fat burning requires oxygen. Although there are many weight lifters that will tell you all you need is anaerobic.

Hamburger or giant salad....doesn't matter. Your body will process both in the very same way.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/Exercise-Metabolism-Energy/a/Does-The-Fat-Burning-Zone-Burn-Fat-Faster.htm

Yeah maybe the body can burn it the same way, but that doesn't mean that those foods are healthier for you. It's more than just being able to eat anything as long as you exercise, it's also about providing the body the right nutrients so that it can run better and longer. I'm not anti-hamburger or yummy foods but for me I've learned to have a burger but now it's Turkey. And if I want a taco I will eat one but now I try to make them frescos or with chicken. Just a lil tweaking has gone a long way for me.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I just think i will jump in here to tell you good job on trying to work yourself up to healthy eating now.
    Remember that food is not the enemy. Too much can be bad but to little is bad as well. Way to go.
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    wow, i'm starting to really like this website. a lot of you are so supportive and give great information and motivation, it really helps and i just want to thank everyone who commented sincerely. i've gotten up to 1100 yesterday and today, i know my scale will probably go up a bit before i can start to lose more so i'm avoiding measuring for now. but thank you everyone!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    wow, i'm starting to really like this website. a lot of you are so supportive and give great information and motivation, it really helps and i just want to thank everyone who commented sincerely. i've gotten up to 1100 yesterday and today, i know my scale will probably go up a bit before i can start to lose more so i'm avoiding measuring for now. but thank you everyone!

As you stated, you are already at healthy weight, so forget trying to actually lose weight. That won't give you the body improvements you stated you wanted.

You need to at minimum - eat at maintenance and ONLY do strength training if you want to lose fat, and hope to gain some muscle back so you don't start a life of yo-yo dieting because you have so little muscle mass.

Eventually when strength tops out, you'll have to accept the fact you'll have to eat in surplus, gain muscle and fat, to actually improve the situation.

But keep increasing slowly, 100 extra calories daily for a week at a time, and start that strength training now. If your body truly sees these new calories as excess to a suppressed metabolism, no better use for them right now then body improvements.

And by strength, I don't mean 50 curls or kickbacks with 3 lb weights.
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm slowly adding a 100 calories to get to a higher calorie intake ill admit its been a struggle but I have been losing and have not gained!

When you do add choose healthy calories vs white starches and processed foods!

In my opinion eating healthy substances will not only improve your body's function it will help you maintain higher energy levels vs processed foods

For ex I eat 3 eggs with cup of chopped spinach
    4 pcs turkey bacon and a half of grape fruit

Keeps me full and satisfied and full of energy

Where as someone that eats doughnuts and bagels
    Could feel sluggish and full but its only a matter of time they will be hungry again
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I am also in that situation. Months of eating super low cal 400-600 cal a day (I had weight loss surgery) worked great for some quick weight loss..but it does a number on your metabolism. I have had to find ways to increase my calories to a healthy level while not being able to eat large volumes. I eat a higher protein diet also. There are ways to add calories without adding bulk. I eat a lot Greek yogurt for the protein and lean meats, veggies and fruit. Add healthy fats to your diet. I dont always use the "fat free" options of stuff. And yes...since getting my calories back up to a healthier level I have started losing weight again after a very long stall. Since I work out a lot I try to get around 1700 cal/day if I can. My doctor even agreed that I was doing a great job so I must be on to something :p Best of luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Yeah maybe the body can burn it the same way, but that doesn't mean that those foods are healthier for you. It's more than just being able to eat anything as long as you exercise, it's also about providing the body the right nutrients so that it can run better and longer. I'm not anti-hamburger or yummy foods but for me I've learned to have a burger but now it's Turkey. And if I want a taco I will eat one but now I try to make them frescos or with chicken. Just a lil tweaking has gone a long way for me.

There is no difference between making a hamburger with beef 90% lean or a turkey burger 90% lean. 10% fat is 10% fat is 10% fat. Also, you mentioned real cheese in your first post...most of the fat from pizza comes from real cheese. i'm just sayin'. Those aren't bad fats...they're just fats and they are calorie dense so you need to watch them...but somebody struggling to eat over 500 calories per day doesn't really need to be so much watching what they're eating...they just need to friggin' eat.

Also, the OP is trying to up calories...those foods are calorie dense.