Advice on colder weather running

Options
Anyone have any tips on running in colder weather?
My chest feels like it's on fire & my nostrils physically hurt when the air touches them. The pain sets in when I finish my run and I'm doing my cool down.
I don't have the option of just not running when it's cold either, nor can I wear a mask of some sort.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• RikkiDominey
    RikkiDominey Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I'd like to tell you something magical that helps but I don't know that there is anything you can do other than get used to it. I'm not sure how cold it is there but I ran in temps down to around 20 degrees this winter quite a bit and the only issue I had was that my throat itches and gave me a bit of a false cough after I get back inside where it's warm.

I was just guessing that the cold air was drying out my throat or that it was just the process of warming back up like when your feet go numb and then you finally warm them back up again.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I sometimes wear a circular scarf thingy over my face to warm the air... or just zip my jacket high enough that I can warm my breath by looking down. That and layers. I wear a headband/ear-warmer. I do a dynamic warm up inside before heading out. And this sounds kinda gross but you can coat your nostrils with Aquaphor. You do have to get acclimated to the temps at bit. I find running in hot weather worse. Also I run with water, having something wet my throat helps.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I recommend you look up the user miracole She runs in all weather and temperature. She doesn't have much of a choice considering the city she lives in.
  • be_runner
    be_runner Posts: 20
    Options
    I live in Chicago and ran all winter. I ran in many layers of moisture wicking fabric to keep my core temperature up. I also used a smart wool neck gaiter over my nose and mouth and that was incredibly helpful in keeping my face comfortable.

My lungs ached for the first half mile but I just focused on breathing deep and slow and pushing. After about half a mile it would fade.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is to not run..but that's just me! lol
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Where in Texas is it cold?????

Excuse my skepticality (if that's a word),

but I live in Alaska. I run in the cold all year.

As for advice, not a whole lot you can do except wear a face mask.
  • RikkiDominey
    Options
    Thank you all so much!

I will definitely look into finding that user and see what she says.

I live in Odessa, TX where we will have cold (30-40)& windy weather one day and then the next it'll be in the 90's so it's always rough on my body with the changes. Also, the weather here is always extremely dry whether it's cold or hot. :(

Hopefully, my body will adjust to it or it will just stay warm!
  • RikkiDominey
    Options
    @Chels0722 I live in Odessa, TX and I'm sure it doesn't get anywhere near as cold here as it does for you! My "cold" is anything under 60, the norm here for this time of year is usually 90+.

-I'm not used to the cold weather, hence the reason I'm in pain attempting to run in it! :sick:
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I have asthma and I run in the cold. I like 17 degrees. I generally run better if it's under 40.

That being said, when it is 17, I'm dressed for it, sports bra, tight fitting long sleeve t and tight fitting micro fleece. I generally get things a size smaller than I would normally so my lungs are held captive in a very warm cocoon. That's the trick, not letting any cold air into your trunk.

Now I ran a 5k the other day when it was 48. I had to stand around for awhile first so I got cold amd I was wearing shortsleeves, which I would do if I was starting directly from inside, but I wasn't. Anyway my lungs were cold the whole time. I felt terrible.

But really, keep your torso warm, make sure you have a tight fitting base layer. In between temps are the worst.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    @Chels0722 I live in Odessa, TX and I'm sure it doesn't get anywhere near as cold here as it does for you! My "cold" is anything under 60, the norm here for this time of year is usually 90+.

-I'm not used to the cold weather, hence the reason I'm in pain attempting to run in it! :sick:

Gotcha. I am actually from Waxahatchie, TX originally :) I can't say I enjoy running in the cold much either, but it sure beats running on a treadmill!

Best of luck to you finding a solution! Hopefully it will just warm up for you though ;)
  • RikkiDominey
    Options
    @RunnerElizabe Yea, it's the dryness of the cold that kills me. I'm gonna try some new clothing and maybe that'll help keep my lungs, body etc warm & pain free!

@Chels0722 YES, it definitely beats running on a treadmill. So you know how the lovely Texas weather can vary hour to hour!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I ran this winter when it was well below freezing. I think that it is just adjusting to it. Last year I ran when it was almost 100 too. The broader temperature swings are the hardest for me. It was in the 30-40s and then went to 80. Just the opposite last fall. It was 100, and then it was 34. I find that it takes me a mile or two to get in the groove when it's cold. Possibly how you dress can help.