The Zumba Crew w/o 7-19

Options
Hey all my fellow Zumbis!

Check out this awesome article that I found!

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/prnewswire/2010/05/19/prnewswire201005191634PR_NEWS_USPR_____FL07832.html

Have any of you ever attended Zumba in the club?!

Replies

• msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Wow that is so interesting! Hadn't heard before but Zumba is everywhere!!! :bigsmile:
  • sherry_80
    sherry_80 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I live in Houston, TX . I have gotten discount promotions and they teach zumba at a club and they do kid parties.

I thought it was cool, but i dont know about the club thing they showed a video and my husband is not up for that. he wouldnt believe its a class. its more like a party without the cocktails.
  • Allieballie
    Allieballie Posts: 102
    Options
    I've taught at a couple of weddings too, and everyone gets really into it :)
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    guys, I have been going crazy all day trying to find a song we used to do in my old class that I loved so much. Of course it is in Spanish, which I don't know enough of to be able to search the lyrics! I wish so much that I could sing the tune for you guys so that you could help me find out what song it is, because it was ROCKIN!
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I finally made it back to class after a 2 week "injury break". I am now armed with appropriate footwear, so hopefully that will keep the aches and pains to a minimum. It was great and I was sweating like a pig. Glad I burned a bunch o' calories because I'm going wedding dress shopping tomorrow!
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    Maestrachistosa, I am glad you are bouncing back from your injury break! What type of shoes did you get?

I will say that it took my feet and legs some time to get used to my new zumba shoes. I was using my plain ol running shoes before I quit to have the babies, and every time that I tried wearing my Musiques it really threw me off. So when I started back fresh after the twins were born, I wore my new shoes from day 1, and they are way better now than the running shoes ever were! I just wanted to let you know that it did take several classes to get used to the new feel.

On another note - I am so excited about tonight's class because I am going to 'co-teach' with a friend. Our regular instructor is out of town so we are going to lead the class and do a few of my old routines!
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Maestrachistosa, I am glad you are bouncing back from your injury break! What type of shoes did you get?

I will say that it took my feet and legs some time to get used to my new zumba shoes. I was using my plain ol running shoes before I quit to have the babies, and every time that I tried wearing my Musiques it really threw me off. So when I started back fresh after the twins were born, I wore my new shoes from day 1, and they are way better now than the running shoes ever were! I just wanted to let you know that it did take several classes to get used to the new feel.

I got the Musiques. I was nervous because I never order shoes online, but they seemed to fit fine and were comfortable. I have a little ankle and heel pain this morning, but not it's not too bad. And, my knee seems to be ok, so that's good. I may go back to wearing my ankle brace, but want to see how I am at the end of the week.

Have fun at your class tonight!
  • DJFMN
    DJFMN Posts: 7
    Options
    Well I did the Zumba Party DVD on Monday morning was worried that I would not be able to manage the entire 60 minutes. I did was sweating like crazy but had a blast. I did the 20 minute express on Tuesday and today that is all the time I had available. I will do the entire 60 minutes tomorrow. This is the second week since I received the Zumba DVD's and I am having the most fun.
    I am not using very good shoes just some Puma speedcats. After reading about potential injuries and I am looking for some advice on the types of shoes people are using to do their Zumba class in. What are the benefits of using Zumba dance shoes over regular cross trainers? Any help and advice would be helpful. Thanks
  • steph_armstrong
    Options
    Hi all. The past 2 weeks I've been in Miami visiting a friend of mine. She is a fabulous Zumba instructor and I absolutely love her classes. I have learned moves that I never imagined I would be able to do. LOL. I have almost no coordination, but she managed to teach me the chest shake, hip shake, and the bootie shake. Sad that I had to come back to home , but I missed my family and friends here in Texas as well as my fellow MFPers/Zumba crew. Now I have to find someone that teaches like her. I'm glad that everyone sounds like they have been doing fantastic. Keep up the great work Zumba Crew!
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    I am so so excited...I just checked back on zumba.com and they have added an instructor training in my town. I am so excited, I am going to sign up before I lose my chance!
  • thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    I am so so excited...I just checked back on zumba.com and they have added an instructor training in my town. I am so excited, I am going to sign up before I lose my chance!

my friend and i go for our training this saturday! i'll be sure to report back and let you all know how it went! I can't wait :D
  • steph_armstrong
    Options
    Oh that sounds like fun and a great opportunity iluvsparkles. I so want to become an instructor, but I'm not ready to be just yet. I still have alot more left to learn.
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to try zumba for a while but am nervous to go and try. I am 22 years old and don't have much coordination. Any information about attending zumba classes like what to expect would be great!
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    Hey Jacqueline, glad you found our group. You came to the right place :)

The first thing you should know about going to a class, is that there are a lot of moves! Don't let that discourage you though, it is very common for it to take several classes to get accustomed to the moves. The key is that you just keep moving anyway! No one is going to laugh at you if you stumble around, they are just there for a good workout, just like you! Then, after several classes you will get used to the moves, have an idea of what is coming up in a song, and really really enjoy yourself!

Some things to remember are that the bigger and more exaggerated you do the moves, the more calories you will burn. Make sure to bring water, and expect to sweat a lot! It's not a bad idea to look into getting some kind of a dance sneaker if you like the class and plan to continue going. Tennis shoes are designed to have great traction, which isn't what you need on the dance floor!
  • thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    jacqueline -

zumba is so much fun, even if you are uncoordinated! just be sure to let yourself have a blast - shake your hips and your *kitten* and don't worry what you look like - no one is looking at you! the crazier you get, the more you burn, and the more fun you have! when in doubt, just shake your *kitten*! You'll love it :)
  • rachie78sw
    rachie78sw Posts: 28
    Options
    I love Zumba, I started back in November 2009, when it was relatively new in the UK. It is now massive, with loads of classes where I live.

Our teacher is brilliant and she does songs that are currently being played on the radio, so people think Ia m mad when I start dancing around.

I have no co-ordination when it comes to dancing, but I have found Zumba to be great and really good for working the love handles.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    love it so much that I've created a dvd of my favs I found here & there...

another good hour today:)
  • DJFMN
    DJFMN Posts: 7
    Options
    I also did another good hour today. Had a blast did the Cardio Party DVD. I am about to complete my second week and I am starting to get the moves and know what is coming. I love doing Zumba the time goes so quickly and the other thing I really like is that the next day I am all ready to do some more Zumba. It just does not feel like exercise. Thanks to all the Zumba followers it was this discussion that convinced me to try Zumba and I am thrilled to be a regular Zumba exerciser.Thank you to all of the positive chat about Zumba.
  • elloradannon
    elloradannon Posts: 111
    Options
    I just took my first zumba class at my gym last night. LOVED it... totally hooked. I wish I could go every night
  • MizMeow
    MizMeow Posts: 16
    Options
    I am going to go to my first Zumba class this Monday.. I can't wait....:wink: