Easy Packable Meals?

Options
EpicPickle
EpicPickle Posts: 35
I'm looking for some ideas for meals I can make in advance for my lunches at work. Most of the time I have access to a microwave and refrigerator, but not always.

I'd like to be able to pack individual containers on Sunday night for the whole week, then just grab and go for Monday through Friday.

Ideas?

Replies

• gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Leftovers
    Ham and cheese sandwich
    Turkey and hummus wraps
    Salad
    Fresh fruit
    Homemade soup
    Tuna salad and Wheat Thins
  • DoubleClick88
    Options
    I'm going to watch this since I'm also on the prowl for meals I can pack and store (the earlier I can pre-make them, the better).
  • laurajade111
    Options
    I grill a turkey steak with some peppers and onions. Works out around 140 cals and really fills me up!
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    I am a HUGE fan of pinwheels! They're easy to make and you can easily store them in a lunchbox with an ice pack (I've never had them room-temperature but I'm sure they'd be okay.) I'll make them for all five days of the week but I'll vary the recipe so it's never the same. Typically, I use a tortilla shell, ham, lettuce, tomato, carrots, etc. Search around the web and see if you can find any good recipes (although this one stuck out to me; haven't tried it but it looks great: http://www.exercise4weightloss.com/appetizer-recipe-tortilla-pinwheels.html).
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Here's a few that I've done (but will definitely have to check back for more ideas!)

1.) Homemade "naked burritos" - just cook some rice and fajita style chicken with veggies on the weekend and stick them in a tupperware container. Then, make a separate little container with salsa (or go raid Taco Bell for their packets) and bring some lettuce separately (then just microwave the main bowl, and add your salsa and lettuce afterwards).

2.) Chicken Wraps - Mix Chicken with either Buffalo Sauce, Pesto Sauce, or Ceasar dressing (and I also add some greek yogurt to the pesto make it creamy), then add lettuce and cheese. If you like it, go for Parmesan cheese, as it's less calories! For the buffalo style, if you want a side of ranch - make your own low-cal ranch by mixing greek yogurt and ranch dip seasoning.
    (Oh and to make this fast - just buy canned chicken - it's really quick and easy!)

Other than that, sandwiches and/or salads (wait to put condiments on so they don't get soggy!), and frozen foods if you have a freezer (I like to microwave veggie burgers).
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I usually get my lunch packed the night before so I don't have to think about it in the morning - I might do a sandwich or wrap. I cut up veggies (carrots, celery, cucumber, bell pepper) on the weekends and keep them in a container in the fridge so I can just grab some and put them in a baggie. I will usually also buy a couple of ready-to-go salads at the store so on those mornings when I've forgotten to make lunch the night before or those nights when I'm just feeling extra lazy, I can just grab that.
  • dmf711
    dmf711 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I cook up about a hamburger's worth of 93/7 beef (about 5 ounces or so) in a skillet with seasonings, garlic, and a splash of water. Sometimes I add some cheese too, any type you like will work. Usually for me it's a slice of American. If you like mushrooms, which I do, you can saute those up too, the same way you did the beef (separate of course to keep everything hygienic). Toss it all together in a Tupperware with whatever kind of lettuce you like, and you're good to go. I refrigerate mine but I'm not sure about keeping it out of the fridge, so better to be safe than sorry.

You can also do something similar with boiled chicken. For that, I like to do crumbled hard boiled egg, chicken, and I whisk up a bit of spicy mustard and water into a dressing-like consistency. Enjoy!
  • dedicated2014
    dedicated2014 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I make my own salads for lunch. Spinach, tomatoes, top with some low-fat cheese, lean meat, or avocado slices and some fat free salad dressing. I make boiled eggs in batches (for the week) so I usually end up either cutting a boiled egg up over my salad, or eating it by itself. You could also cook chicken or lean beef in batches for salads, etc.

For snacks, I pack fresh fruit, greek yogurt, or peanuts (pay attention to the serving size).
  • EpicPickle
    EpicPickle Posts: 35
    Options
    Some good suggestions here. Thanks!
  • johnknappcc
    johnknappcc Posts: 28
    Options
    Pack-able breakfast: Yogurt, whey, berries, and nuts.

For lunch, an alteration of the wrap somebody suggested, wrapping turkey or whatever meat, plus cheese and mayo and veggies in lettuce. I got the idea from the un-wich they serve at Jimmy John's.
  • KaleeCat
    KaleeCat Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Posting for later :)