One-year difference (mind and body) PIC HEAVY

Options
Hi My Fitness Pals,

I'm struggling lately with eating too many sweets, so I thought I’d inspire myself and stay accountable by posting my before and during photos. The heavier photos are from April and June 2012. I was 221 pounds. (I am 5 foot, three-and-one-half inches tall.)

Beginning (April 2012)
8705780454_52379c1693_c.jpg

Today, I weigh 152-ish. (Fluctuates between 152-155). I am not done losing weight, but I am happy with my progress.

During (After photo taken today – lighting and camera not as good, but you get the drift)
8704647533_352cec9a11_b.jpg

This isn’t my first weight-loss rodeo. Since about age 16, I’ve struggled with my weight. At 16, I gained about 50 pounds in a short amount of time, with no real explanation. (Now that I know I have an under-active thyroid, I am pretty sure that’s what happened, but who knows!?) I’ve never been thin, and I probably weighed 180 or so before I gained the extra weight when I was 16.

Later, I ballooned to 260. Over a 10-year period, I lost 100 pounds, gained it back. Lost 100 pounds. Gained 60 back.

8705903710_48e32ecdf9_m.jpg

That’s me on the left
8705903740_b42e012fb7_m.jpg

And that took me to May 2012, when I started this journey again. Pre-diabetic, miserable and 221 pounds. I’ve never had even a normal self-esteem, let alone good self-esteem. I’m riddled with insecurities about my appearance. Carrying around enough weight to make a whole other person sure didn’t help. I was hiding inside myself. I was weird about how people touched me, for fear they’d touch my fat roll. You know you’re fat when your husband fondles a fat roll and thinks it’s your breast! (Even if it’s just for a second.)

Beginning (June 2012)
8704652837_143bded83e_b.jpg

When I see pictures of myself at my biggest (I was 40 pounds heavier than these before pictures at one time), I always think: “It looks like I ate myself.” But that’s always followed with, “Look how sad I was.”

Losing weight hasn’t transformed my inner thoughts or eroded my insecurities. I still flinch when people touch me sometimes, even my husband, and there are days when I think I am still grossly overweight. On those occasions, I remind myself that I am wearing a size 8, and I’m probably not massive. (There is still room for improvement, of course!)

For me, it’s true that there is a lot of inner work to be done in order to be wholly healthy. (Therapy sure doesn’t hurt!) It all goes hand-in-hand. It feeds itself (pun intended). My negative thinking can lead to inaction, which leads to giving up, which leads to depression, which leads to comfort or stress eating. It can also cause me to be perpetually unhappy with myself. And, it is really hard for me to stay motivated to do healthy things, such as exercise, when I don’t think I am worth it.

Today, I am trying to appreciate that I am OK just how I am. I must remind myself that it is within my power to make healthy choices and continue living in a body that does not betray me.

The biggest lesson I have learned is that I am going to have to always track my food and exercise. When I stop tracking, I slip into denial about what’s actually going into my mouth. The last time I gained the weight back, I’d go up a pants size and say, “Well, 12 isn’t bad. I’ll be OK at 12.” And then, when I was a 14, I’d say, “As long as I don’t go over 14, it will be alright.” And, then when I am in an 18, say, “Well, I used to wear a 24/26.”

I must remember that I am so good at living in delusion. I will stop looking at myself in the mirror. Depression creeps in. I’m in a hole, trapped in my body. Lost in there.

So, here’s how I have done it, so far.

I have not, despite repeated attempts, been able to give up chocolate. So, I just work around it. I tried doing sugar-free chocolate for awhile, but I still always wanted the real thing after eating the fake version. So, now I have chocolate. I try not to go overboard. I do go through spurts where I have it too much, but then I go for awhile without touching it.

So far, I have stuck to a 1200-calorie diet. (Obviously, if I exercise, I eat more. Wanting to eat more is a great motivator to exercise.) Because of prediabetes, I limit my carb intake to about 100 carbs per day, and I eat at least 80 grams of protein each day.

I follow the advice of my doctor and take vitamins and supplements. I exercise at least four days a week for at least one hour. (Usually more.)

My next endeavor (besides trying to start a family) very well might be New Rules of Lifting For Women. I’m reading the book. And I’ve been quite impressed with the results MFP women are posting. I’ll keep you posted. ☺

But, most importantly, I am going to live in the moment and enjoy life! And take care of myself!

During (October 2012)
8705886254_4b7b002e9d_b.jpg

During (March 2013)
8704768085_04362e8999_z.jpg

During (March 2013)
8704772369_71744064bb_z.jpg

Today
8705897598_3d5319d355.jpg

Replies

• kmchambers64
    kmchambers64 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You are doing absolutely awesome! I plan on my chocolate, so I get that totally. And yes, wanting to eat more is a great motivator to get moving.
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    you look great! way to keep yourself motivated to keep going!
  • lorielovehailey
    lorielovehailey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • inzkeeper
    inzkeeper Posts: 23
    Options
    You look fabulous! Keep going. You're worth it!
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Wow! You have done really well.
    I started the 'New Rules of Lifting for Women' 3wks ago. Although I'm doing compound lifts, not targeting individual muscle groups with each exercise. Had to go out yesterday and get some heavier dumbells. Haven't weighed in yet but I'm wearing a pair of jeans I couldn't put on 4wks ago :-)
    I also plan for chocolate. I choose the darker, higher cocoa% chocolate because you get the cocoa fix sooner and eat less of it.
  • Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    'CLAP, CLAP (fast), YOU ROCK!! :happy:
  • madlady1
    madlady1 Posts: 3
    Options
    You look absolutely stunning. You have done brilliantly. Keep it up :wink:
  • iamabutterflychaser
    iamabutterflychaser Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Amazing and incredible job! You look so great! Thank you for sharing your story. These posts really make me realize that I'm not the only one that thinks the way I do.

Keep up the great work, and congrats!
  • debbiewillersveik
    debbiewillersveik Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thank you so very much for sharing your story!!! I can relate to that hole you were living in, and like you, unless I convince myself I'm worth it..... I give up! I have so many issues the same as yours... Thank you for giving me hope :) God Bless!!!
  • cjpembo
    cjpembo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Great work....

I love chocolate too... try this alternative - very filling and satisfying:

High Protein "Fudge" Bars

8 scoops chocolate protein powder
    1 cup whole grain rolled oats
    6 Tbs natural peanut butter
    3 Tbs honey
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1/4 cup slivered almonds

Mix well: it is very stiff, so add a tiny bit more milk if needed. Form into 10 servings and refridgerate.

218 Cals
    19 Protein
    15 Carbs
    10 Fat
    2 Sat Fat
    44 Chol
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Don't give up you look so great!
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    You look amazing, great job
  • gabrielle_eliza
    Options
    Wow, you look awesome!
    I'm a chocolate lover as well and invested in Luna Bars - 180 calories, filling, a lot of protein. And...some flavors are chocolate! :)
  • rr4funstuff
    rr4funstuff Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great Job you look fabulous, Your success gives me motivation to keep going. Thank you.
  • lorielovehailey
    lorielovehailey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Ooh, I'll definitely try those "fudge" bars!
  • FionaDFair
    FionaDFair Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Fantastic work! You are looking great.
  • carolmcgov
    carolmcgov Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You look great! Well done!
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    WOW! Stunning!
  • ERBred
    ERBred Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring! You are doing great! Keep it up.
  • xenon39
    xenon39 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You have done amazingly well. The differences in your most recent and last year's pictures are incredible. You look great!! I am so pleased for you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!