Machine-less Cardio Exercises

Options
phurst00
phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
So the gym I use is tiny: 1 elliptical, 1 treadmill, 1 stationary bike and some weight machines. I can't afford to get a gym membership right now and I'm definitely not ready to jog/run. I need some tips/advice on cardio exercises that can be done without machines. I'm not sure if these are even cardio exercises but right now I know how to do squats, wall sit, abdominal plank, and abductor leg raises thanks to the mini challenge today! I need to put some variety back into my workout!

I was thinking about buying a jump rope but other than that I'm fresh out of ideas. Help!

Replies

• Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Walk. It's easier than running/jogging, and you can build your endurance up that way, so if you want to start light jogging, it's a natural next step! I do mostly elliptical/treadmill, but I'm starting Couch to 5K as soon as my running shoes come in, and I'm going to use that to get me moving even more and without machines to keep me honest :) It'll be harder but well worth it to add that in. You could look at something similar or really just walk and set goals for improvement such as measuring out a walk and work on doing it faster as you get in better shape.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    So the gym I use is tiny: 1 elliptical, 1 treadmill, 1 stationary bike and some weight machines. I can't afford to get a gym membership right now and I'm definitely not ready to jog/run. I need some tips/advice on cardio exercises that can be done without machines. I'm not sure if these are even cardio exercises but right now I know how to do squats, wall sit, abdominal plank, and abductor leg raises thanks to the mini challenge today! I need to put some variety back into my workout!

I was thinking about buying a jump rope but other than that I'm fresh out of ideas. Help!

Walking
    Hiking
    riding a bike outside
    exercise DVD's (I really like Leslie Sansone's walk at home series)
    Tons of free workouts on youtube (Jessica Smith TV, Ellen Barrett, Leslie Sansone's, a few Jillian Michaels, BeFit TV, Fitness Blender)....all can be done in the comfort of your own home for free!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Youtube has loads of cardio exercise DVDs on it.
  • nolongerXXL
    nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Walking
    Hiking
    riding a bike outside
    exercise DVD's (I really like Leslie Sansone's walk at home series)
    Tons of free workouts on youtube (Jessica Smith TV, Ellen Barrett, Leslie Sansone's, a few Jillian Michaels, BeFit TV, Fitness Blender)....all can be done in the comfort of your own home for free!

I second these. Youtube is my "go to" for cardio workout videos for FREE!!
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I love the Leslie Sansone DVDs such a variety and I can do them in my living room, but I YouTube also things like JM 30 Day Shred.
  • Sheperior
    Sheperior Posts: 4
    Options
    You on the right track jump rope is great you will burn a lot of calories. Also you can do jumping jacks, moutain climbs, jump squats and burpees all of these exercises are will give your body a full body and a good cardio workout
  • j3nnw1th2ns
    j3nnw1th2ns Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Squat Jumps
    push ups
    weighted toe touches (lay on your back, feet straight up and reach with a dumbbell in your hands)
    jumping jacks
    over head presses
    burpees
    bear crawls
    crab walks
    frog jumps
    in and out squat jacks
    push up with a row
    bent over rows
    crunches
    sit ups
    quad busters (one foot on a box/curb/stair and pull the other in to your chest and back down, while keeping the leg on the box bent 90 degrees)
    step ups
  • ileitch
    ileitch Posts: 99
    Options
    Walk & swim
  • phurst00
    Options
    Thanks all!

I just did the Leslie Sansone 1 Mile Walk at Home ... that was great!
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    i loathe cardio machines. all of my cardio is via DVDs....i love all of the beachbody programs (insanity, insanity asylum 1 and 2, les mills combat), tapout XT.
  • phurst00
    Options
    i loathe cardio machines.

I'm right there with ya. I'm tired of feeling like I have to stay on one machine for 30 minutes or more to get any results. Youtube workout videos seems to be the way to go!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The weird thing (talking about society as a whole, not the OP ) is that we've become so conditioned hearing the word "cardio" and immediately thinking of treadmills and ellipticals. The truth is that of all the ways to get cardio, there are a handful of ways to get exercise using a machine and infinite ways to do it when you ditch the machine. Walk, run, jump rope, play tennis, swim, bike, kayak, hike, rock climb, ultimate frisbee, basketball.......The list goes on forever. Pick any activity you enjoy and do it for 30-60 minutes, 3-4 times per week.

The question shouldn't be, "How do I get my cardio without using a machine?" I should be, "Why in the hell would I use a machine for cardio?"
  • phurst00
    Options
    I did Leslie Sansone's 1 Mile Walk followed by her 2 mile walk today, it was great! I'm planning on doing her walks everyday for a week or so before trying JM's 30 Day Shred.

BUMP for more ideas/suggestions for other cardio-machine haters out there