Trying for a baby, any diet tips?

Options
Hey! So I'm 21 and trying for a baby with my partner of 2 years. We're going to start trying 'properly' in 2 months when my cycle regulates (coming off the Pill after 3 years, eep) and I was wondering if anyone had any diet tips? I know to eat healthily and avoid certain types of cheese but other than that I'm clueless!

Thanks!

Replies

• SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Eat a lot of vegetables.Eat more whole grains and avoid white processed flour. Make sure you get enough protein. It's rubbish that people aren't protein routinely protein deficient. Sleep lots.
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    It depends if you want to have a baby boy or a baby girl.

If you want to have a baby boy you should consume 1800-2000 (or more) calories a day. (Extra calories).

If you want to have a baby girl, consume around 1200 calories.( A little under calories).

For atleast 2 weeks consistantly. If you just want a healthy baby, then just continue to eat healthy.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    If you are trying for a baby, you should consult with your doctor to have a full check and to get all the advice you need.
    Don't take advice from random strangers on the internet, it doesn't always make sense.
  • kxlly
    kxlly Posts: 21
    Options

If you want to have a baby boy you should consume 1800-2000 (or more) calories a day. (Extra calories).

If you want to have a baby girl, consume around 1200 calories.( A little under calories).

For atleast 2 weeks consistantly. If you just want a healthy baby, then just continue to eat healthy.
    This is a bit... psycho....
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options

I figured it was a really bad bit of irony.
    If not, I fear for her.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options

I figured it was a really bad bit of irony.
    If not, I fear for her.

And it was also totally uncalled for.
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Im trying too! Add me :happy: Been trying for my second since November! But my husband works a different shift so its not always easy to spend the time needed with eachother right now :sad:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Pre natal vitamins.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy, and visit your doctor for advice. I personally would up my fruit and veggie consumption, and perhaps buy more organic stuff than I would usually. Get lots of fruit, veggies, lean meats and dairy. Avoid trans fats, heavily-processed foods and fast food.
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Huh. I guess I misunderstood the entire process. I didn't think that getting pregnant involved what goes into your mouth, but rather....
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Eat enough fats and protein and get all your micros, especially folic acid.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Huh. I guess I misunderstood the entire process. I didn't think that getting pregnant involved what goes into your mouth, but rather....

LOL!

To OP just make sure you're getting in your protein and enough fat and your vitamins.
    You don't have to avoid any cheeses while you're not pregnant yet.
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Just trying to have a little fun. Lighten up ladies. There are actually studies on intentional eating for selecting a boy or girl.
  • FightingMongeese
    FightingMongeese Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi there! We've been trying for over a year (male factor infertility) so this is old hat to me.
    1. Start your prenatal vitamins now. The folic acid is critical for baby's spine and brain in the earliest days; before you can even know if you're pregnant.
    2. Pick up a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Wechsler. It's the bible in TTC circles.
    3. Check out BabyCenter. It's the absolute best website for TTC questions, support, pregnancy buddies, and mommy friends.
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    Pre natal vitamins.

This!!!
    Start taking a prenatal vitamin or at least folic acid BEFORE getting pregnant.
    Consult your Dr. to get a proper baseline for weight, blood pressure, etc.