Too few calories?

Options
Hi, I'm a 17 year old male and I've already lost 110 pounds, but I need help. I am currently at 170 and I want to lose another 30 pounds, but it doesn't want to come off. To lose weight at first I didn't count calories, then I dropped to 1200 and then went up to 1500. Bigger people can have bigger deficits though, and this is my first plateau. It's been 2 months since I've lost anything. I eat 1450 a day and jog for 6 miles or do 1 hour of elliptical every other day and weight train on my days off. I never have cheat days and I'm vegan and don't eat sugars. I was just if I should eat more or if there was another underlying flaw in my plan. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My guess would be that you are possible not eating enough. Do you know your BMR and TDEE? Also, how tall are you? Since you're down to the last few pounds you want to lose it's definitely going to be more difficult. Sounds like you are doing a great job of working out, you could try adding some strength training into your routine, that will tighten things up and you might find that you don't need to lose as much as you thought.

Good luck!
  • darkthistlefaery
    Options
    try upping the calories and adding some strength training! strength will make you gain muscles and burn more calories. also, muscle is good for you and, while weighting "more" than fat, can make you look even better. :)
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    great job on the 110lbs loss. sometimes after a long period of dieting ur metabolism slows down aliitle. u eitther have to restrict cals further, increase exercise, or try cycling ur carbs. good luck
  • ChanceTakr2131
    Options
    It would be beneficial for you to begin a strength training program. Building your muscles will not only give your body a really nice shape, it will improve your health tremendously and raise your metabolism so you can eat more! I wouldn't be able to stick to a 1400 calorie plan. I am a small, 30 year old female, and I consume anywhere from 1600-2000 calories a day! You have most likely hit a plateau because you need to eat more and change up your routine. Give it a shot and don't be afraid to eat more and exercise more! Good luck to you :wink:

I almost forgot to congratulate you on your success thus far! Way to go!! :drinker:
  • kathrynmahan
    kathrynmahan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I hit my plateau (several years ago) I rested my body for a few weeks, just generally eating about the right amount of calories to maintain my weight. Then I hit the proteins and exercise hard and made sure never to get much less (or certainly more) than my weight loss target calorie count every day. I made sure I was doing either muscle building or cardio every day and getting much more protein that the minimum, and being careful with carbs. In no time I broke through the plateau and was on my way to my ultimate target weight. Time to trick your body; make it think you're where you want to be, then hit it with ultimate discipline. You can do it.. :)