Traders Joe's is coming!! Why should I love it???! :) :)

Options

Replies

• JensLogin
    JensLogin Posts: 74
    Options
    Trader Joe's for the WIN!

I love this store. I can second and third almost everything that folks have said here. Great service, great products and most of the time decent prices. Again, a few things can be a bit more, but worth every extra penny!

A few of my favorite things:

Garlic Hummus
    Spinach Pizza's
    Sesame Ginger Soy Dressing ( I think I might die without this)
    Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
    Unfiltered Grape Juice
    Organic Frozen Brown Rice
    Many of their frozen veggies (Use them in a pinch instead of fresh)
    Sprouted MultiGrain Bread

I could go on and on.. but I think you get the point!

Side note: My sister relocated from CA to TX, where they do not have a Trader Joe's anywhere near her. When she comes out to visit she stocks up on several non-perishable items and takes them back with her. Several folks have noticed these items and love them as well. Now that is dedication!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for all the terrific feedback! I so appreciate it:drinker:

Looks like it's going to be a great place to shop with lots of treasures to check out that are most definitely new to this area as well as to me!

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • Superman79
    Superman79 Posts: 23
    Options
    I am an artist for Trader Joes in Nashville.
    The reason we are labeled west coast is because thats where we are focused and originated from. Monrovia California.

If you want to eat healthy it's the cheapest there is and still the best quality. We love our customers...mostly. Some really try our patience like when they run into you with their cart or something.

Best prices on Agave, Almond Butter, Cheese and Fish ever.

The only downside is that you can't do ALL of your sgopping there. There are just somes things we dont carry..sorry.

All of our private labeled food is all natural.

We are not a health food store.

We are a Discount Gourmet food store though.
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Love the lowfat, high fiber muffins, the vegan corn dogs, the sushi rolls, tamales, etc....I could go on forever!

They used to have great BBQ pulled pork, but I haven't found it lately.

My fave, for many years, has been the reduced fat smoked gouda.
  • Superman79
    Options
    We still have the BBQ pork.
  • pfenixa
    pfenixa Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I live in VA and we have them here too. Actually, there's one within 5 miles from my house.
    They're not a health store, but they definitely carry more "healthy" items than regular grocery stores. Gotta be careful to avoid thinking everything there is healthy because there's a number of items that'll get ya. I'm still changing and adding different foods and getting used to nutritional values so I go to TJs for little stuff. I haven't bought the loaves of bread but their english muffins and bagels have less sugar and sodium than the stuff you'd find elsewhere. They do have a large section for dried fruits/trail mix/nuts, but most of the nuts aren't available unsalted. :( Huge selection of booze and cheese tho! I don't really check those out, but I do like to pick up their 8 pack of California rolls. :happy:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    The reason we are labeled west coast is because thats where we are focused and originated from. Monrovia California.

If you want to eat healthy it's the cheapest there is and still the best quality. We love our customers...mostly. Some really try our patience like when they run into you with their cart or something.

The only downside is that you can't do ALL of your sgopping there. There are just somes things we dont carry..sorry.

SuperMan to the rescue once again! :laugh: Thank you for the feedback SuperMan! Good to hear it from someone from the 'inside' so to speak. I appreciate your feedback as well. :flowerforyou:

Becca:drinker:
  • elloradannon
    elloradannon Posts: 111
    Options
    My family is vegetarian so it is pretty much the only place we can shop that is affordable (Whole Foods is amazing but WAY more expensive). They have meatless versions of almost everything that are delicious and low cal/fat. Also, I find that buying the organic foods is not too much more expensive, unlike other stores. For example a can of regular garbanzo beans are .89, whereas organic are 1.09, Here are our favorites!

-Dark chocolate covered power-berries
    -3 grain Tempeh
    -Super firm organic tofu
    -Pomegranite Limeaid (mostly my husband is in love with this)
    -frozen potstickers and hodgepodge veggie mix
    -vegan chocolate chip cookies (not low calorie but SO delicious)
    -marinara sauce
    -meatless balls
    -vegie corn dogs
    -Yves meatless ground (you MUST try this... best ground beef alternative. period.)
    -Earth Balance non-dairy buttery spread
    -Soy dream vanilla soymilk

the list goes on and on.... I LOVE TRADER JOE'S and you will too!!!
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    We finally got a Whole Food about 2 hours or so away but not exactly practical for frozen foods, ya know?

Actually I've been driving 2 hours to Costco this whole Summer here in Colorado. I bought 2 coolers and a bunch of ice packs. I buy my fruits and vegetables there fresh and frozen. I also buy frozen snacks, cheese, hummus and other stuff. The items stay cold or frozen the whole trip back.
  • Superman79
    Options

SuperMan to the rescue once again! :laugh: Thank you for the feedback SuperMan! Good to hear it from someone from the 'inside' so to speak. I appreciate your feedback as well. :flowerforyou:

Becca:drinker:

Some of the best items to be buying from trader joe's when you're losing weight are as follows:
    Organic Produce...esp. Baby Spinach. (Eat at least half a cup per day everyday)
    Light Coconut Milk (Base for Coconut milk fruit smoothie)
    frozen berries...great for the smoothie or adding to oatmeal.
    Granolas
    Kashi High Fiber & High Protein cereal. 13g of protein, 10 g of fiber in one cup and only 140 cal.
    Almond Butter...much healthier than peanut butter.
    Agave Nectar. It may be high in natural sugars but it doesn't spike your glucose levels and therefore is diabetic safe in most cases.
    Stevia ...for the diehard serious about cutting out the sugar.
    Olive Oil...doesn't translate to bad fats when cooking.
    Breads...we have tons of sprouted breads and our Ezekiel Bread is half the price of anywhere else!
    Nuts and dried fruits....we have tons and all for amazing prices...you'd be nuts not to buy your nuts from TJ's
    Fish and Chicken...Awesome prices...awesome products...it's how we roll!

Those are just a few of my favorites...I try to avoid as much processed foods as possible.
  • DwightJenkins
    DwightJenkins Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What do you LOVE about Trader Joe's?? Tell me why I will love it? Spill it Gang, I want hear all the good stuff I'll be able to purchase and all your favs. Keep in mind I know nothing at all about it, never seen one, been in one. I've been Trader Joe less:sad: :laugh:

Our Trader Joe's is in the next town, so we don't shop there on a regular basis, but I do stop in a few days a week for lunch. I'm just beginning to explore the foods they have, but so far I'm liking the Tuna Wrap, Roasted Vegetable Wrap, and Vietnamese Chicken Wrap. Oh and the Spicy Lentil Wrap too. They have lots of salads and stuff too, but I'm more of a hold it in my hands and shove it in my food hole sort of guy.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    trader joes is packaging king! so i don't shop there much, but things that are sold 'in bulk" like their nuts & cheeses, i do like those.
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My favorite TJ staples:

Coffee (I've tried most and only truly hated the Diner Blend)
    Olive Oil (I'm biased toward the Greek)
    Nuts
    Dark Chocolate Covered Almonds
    Turkey Meatballs (frozen...taste great and a good staple to have on hand)
    Fage Total 0% Greek Yogurt (I buy tons of it)
    Cheeses
    Chiati Salami
    Hummus
    Chocolate Chips (they are peanut safe for my kiddo)
    Sunflower Seed and Almond Butters
    Brown Rice Cakes
    Wine
    Dark Chocolate Nibs
  • Superman79
    Options
    trader joes is packaging king! so i don't shop there much, but things that are sold 'in bulk" like their nuts & cheeses, i do like those.

but we don't sell "in bulk" items? What did you mean?
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    They have this little salad with red quinoa, mango, spinach and chicken in their meals-to-go case. Love love love love it.

Also, the one near me occasionally has bananas on sale for 19 cents each. Great to be able to buy three or four on-the-run breakfast items for the change in my pocket.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

I believe what she meant was she likes that you sell bulk items so she does shop there for those. From other posts of hers I've seen she's against packaging. Except I just looked at her diary.... and now I'm way confused.:ohwell:

My thoughts......Lots of things come in packaging, I myself am not against packaging unless it's in excess (but that's usually the very processed foods that do that), prefer to buy in bulk to save money but I carry out my bulk items in a bag.:laugh: not my arms.

So.......guess we all have to figure packaging is part of life unless we have big pockets to fill with nuts and cheese, beans & rice etc. when we bulk shop! :tongue: :wink: :laugh:
  • Superman79
    Options
    They have this little salad with red quinoa, mango, spinach and chicken in their meals-to-go case. Love love love love it.

Also, the one near me occasionally has bananas on sale for 19 cents each. Great to be able to buy three or four on-the-run breakfast items for the change in my pocket.

Bananas are 19 cents each storewide everyday! We never have sales, we keep our costs low everyday.:wink:
  • Superman79
    Options

I believe what she meant was she likes that you sell bulk items so she does shop there for those. From other posts of hers I've seen she's against packaging. Except I just looked at her diary.... and now I'm way confused.:ohwell:

My thoughts......Lots of things come in packaging, I myself am not against packaging unless it's in excess (but that's usually the very processed foods that do that), prefer to buy in bulk to save money but I carry out my bulk items in a bag.:laugh: not my arms.

So.......guess we all have to figure packaging is part of life unless we have big pockets to fill with nuts and cheese, beans & rice etc. when we bulk shop! :tongue: :wink: :laugh:

Everything, except for our produce is packaged. But our products have no artificial preservatives or flavors. So they won't last as long as other brands but they'll taste better.

I forgot to tell you the best part....Our Money back guarantee! If you don't like it, just bring it back or your reciept and we'll exchange or refund your money.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

Bananas are 19 cents each storewide everyday! We never have sales, we keep our costs low everyday.:wink:
    Superman I love more and more each time you post!

Ok, so now I'm confused, you DO sell in bulk or you don't? I got the idea you all do, then I got confused by the pkg'n post question....

Clarification please?

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • Superman79
    Options
    No to Bulk. We leave that to Sam's and Costco. Sorry. Our prices allow you to buy in bulk though lol. the largest item we sell is dog food.